• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Martha may be coming to the end :(

Lind80

Mama Doe
Martha has been getting a bit weak on her back legs for the last month or so but has still been hopping about, but this morning I went out to her and her back legs were just straight out behind her :( She tryed to hop over to me but just dragged her back legs behind her, it was so sad watching her try and pull herself over to me. It didn't seem to be just her legs though because her whole back end was swaying.

I took her into the vets and while they were checking her over they noticed she has quite a bad heart murmer and also an arrhythmia. They x-rayed her spine and also her chest. Her lumbar back is really bad and they said it is a typical problem of an old giant breed rabbit, her heart is very large and looks like it may also have a heart based tumour. Her lungs didn't look to good either. So I am trying her on some Metacam to see if there is any improvement over the weekend, if there isn't she will be put to sleep on Monday :cry: , if there is some improvement she will also start heart medication.

Please keep your fingers crossed for my old girl :(

DSCN0914.jpg

Awwww poor beautiful Martha......................

Here`s sending positive vibes to Martha and supportive hugs to you,
Su.x

Thinking of you and sending Martha lots of soothing vibes. Did your Vet mention doing gentle Physio on Martha's back legs to help retain some muscle tone and blood circulation whilst she is so immobile?
I did this for my Jack in his final months and it seemed to help.
If your Vet thinks it appropriate then heart meds can really help.
Janex

Dear Martha. I do hope medication helps but is is sad - old age.

Thinking of you, do keep us updated if you can and love to Martha, she is a beautiful bunny, a real matriarch.

Sending bunny hugs to Martha.

I am sure you have given her a good life and she will have a peaceful end.

Best wishes

Rabswood

I think I might have to take her back in to the vets later today :cry: I just can't bear watching her struggle like this, I don't think I am being kind letting her struggle on like this :cry: I just can't quite bring myself to make that call :cry: She was the first of my rabbits and I'm going to really miss her :cry:

Oh I hope the meds help her, she is adorable!

Hugs & vibes for you both ((((((((((((*)))))))))))

So sorry to hear this. Am thinking of you and Martha. You will know when the time is right, I'm sure.

Martha is cute, if she is not responding to metacam, and not PTS, did the vet say how many months left would there be ?

Godspeed to a health recovery to Martha.

By the way, how old is Martha?

Back