• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Confused about Fleas!

I was planing on using advantage to get rid of my buns fleas but when I went to get his vaccinations the vet said not to and that it was too strong for rabbits. He then recommended this other product which he had in stock that I ended up buying but it is too weak. It says to put it on every 3 days and I've used it for weeks and the fleas are still there. I've also started noticing that the feas will be back the day after so it doesn't even give 3 days protection. Everytime i use it I have to coax him into letting me wet him all over with this stuff and the thoroughly clean out his cage. Doing this every three days is really annoying when I'm not getting any results.

I looked up advantage and they even recommend it for rabbits on the rspca website and on a breeders website that I found the lady saidy she has used it heaps and it always works.

I've also been told that a bun can die from the frustration and itching. Is this true?

Maybe you could try a different vet. A second opinion never hurts. HOlly had a liver infection but the ingorance of the first vet i took her to led him to believe she was just a thirsty rabbit. I would definlety recomend seeing another vet.

The vet also said to only use products that specifically said rabbit and not advantage that was ment for cats. I read the back of a pack and it does say rabbit so he contridicted himself. He is a very very wonderful vet. Bunny loves him. He likes to make everything a game so the animals don't freak. You should see him trying to tickle my golden retreivers belly whilst feeling for arthritis.

:lol: :lol: :lol: It is great you have such a reliable vet. I suppose everyone is entitled to a small mistake her and there. Is it possible that the fleas are living in the bedding or hay of your buns?

Only i they got into the fresh hay awell. I change his bedding when i use the stuff but maybe they have gotten into my whole stock pile.

Back