• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rosie Update

Suzanne

Mama Doe
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=18986

Fortunately Rosie is much better today - thank god!!! But Leo her companion is not well, we've just come back from the emergency vet. Yesterday he stopped eating, moving around and became unresponsive. The vet couldn't explain why this has happened she said he might have eaten something strange - but leo never chews anything - Rosie is usually the naughty chewer!! she gave him a painkiller injection, fluids, antibiotics, some concentrated food and another liquid that we have to give him every two through the night. She said his condition is very serious. I'm so worried now :cry:

Yesterday when we took Rosie back to our vets I told the vet (not our usual one) about leo but she didn't seem concerned. I feel bad now cause I should have took him with us too. I told the vet we saw tonight about how Rosie was yesterday and she said that it's definately NOT normal. I have to take them both in tomorrow so I'm going to speak to our sual vet and make a complaint.

I hope Leo makes it through the night - tomorrow I'm phoning in sick at work to look after them, my boss wouldn't understand if I told him I wasn't coming in cause my rabbit is sick.

Any ideas what could have caused this?

I'm so glad things are better for Rosie, but I'm sorry to hear about Leo. I dont have any info or advice and I hope someone can soon help you out!

xxx

Awww i'm glad Rosie is much better thats great news. :D

I'm so sorry to hear that Leo is not well ,i have no idea what could be wrong with him but a few weeks ago now i went through a similar thing with Pippa who i sadly lost. :cry:

My vet said when a rabbit shows signs of being ill very often they can be VERY ill because in the wild a poorly rabbit will hide the fact that it is ill or dying because predators can spot ill and weak rabbits and will easily be able to find them and kill them, finally the rabbit cant hide the fact anymore and then shows signs of being ill (hope that all made sense!)

I think this is what pippa did, my vet and i did everything we could for pippa but i still lost her.
I really hope Leo is much better by morning and hopefully somebody on here will be able to give you some good advice but if not and Leo is no better in the morning i would advise you to take him back to your vet as soon as you can.

I suggest you find another vet, by the sounds of it they don't seem to be too good on their rabbit knowledge.

oh dear poor Leo :( Hope he's OK - I'm guessing that the stress of Rosie being poorly is what set him off on what seems to be a bout of stasis.

Hope both feel better soon, how upsetting to have 2 ill, not what you need stress wise. Poor buns, I really do hope all is well soon.

After two sleepless nights, two days off work and five days of vet visits they are both well!! Rosie is being just as naughty as ever and Leo seems to have bonded with us a lot more. Now if you stop hand feeding him he gets upset!! Been spoilt too much I think!! We have a final check up for Leo on Thursday but I'm sure he'll be fine. A very stressful wkd, thank you for all you help and suport.
Suzanne,

Animals3.png

Back