• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vets and poking

Aliandbuns

Mama Doe
Took Piper and Molly to the vets yesterday for their jabs. Piper had his VHD done and Molly had her myxi jab. I also got the vet to have a look at the scab on Molly's back.

The vet had a real good squeeze of the scab and made it bleed so that she could check there was no puss coming out. I had to look away at one point (and I am not really a squeamish person) but poor little Molly tucked her head between my arm and my body in the hope I would pick her up and take her away from the nasty vet. :(

The vet confirmed there is no absess and gave me some advice on helping the scab to heal. The vet said she didn't know why a scab like that might appear. :? Molly is back in in a couple of weeks' time for her VHD jab and the vet has said she will do it rather than the nurse so that she can check her over again.

Molly now seems to have got over her ordeal and sat with me for some cuddles and then photos this afternoon...

rabbits4009.jpg

Has Molly had her VHD jab as the scab could be from that? Although im sure the vet would have said that. Just a thought Shes lovely by the way :D

No - her myxi jab is her first vaccination. She was spayed a few weeks ago so I asked the vet whether she might have reacted to the painkiller injection. The vet said this was possible but that she couldn't really say for certain why a scab had appeared. :?

No idea about the scab.. i guess the painkiller could be a possible answer... or could it be an injury/bite?
just wanted to say Molly is an adorable colour and absolutely stunning coat! :D

A number of our rabbits get scabs post neutering, our vet believes it is where they inject the baytrill which they routinely give. Often the scabs dont appear until a couple of weeks post operatively.

jrn1310 said:
A number of our rabbits get scabs post neutering, our vet believes it is where they inject the baytrill which they routinely give. Often the scabs dont appear until a couple of weeks post operatively.

I'm guessing your vet does a lot more neuterings than mine! :wink:

bizzy_vicki said:
*swoon* molly is stunning! what is her colour called?

She is supposedly blue and does look blue in certain lights. She also has a slight gingery tinge as her blue bits fade into her white bits so she is obviously not a true blue*.

*Darn it - now got the Madonna song stuck in my head. :lol:

Back