• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help advise on over weight bunny

Floppy is still over weight :( he weighs 3kilos,hes always been big tho bless him,how do i put him on a diet i have tryed,i stopped carrots and been giving him cabbage and celery still,and curly kale,i still give pellets as hes in with poppy and shes small,iv tryed feeding them seperatly but neither eat it all in one go so was a problem,and hence Floppys not lost weight.Im worried about the summers coming and fly strike,although he was this weight last summer,im sure hes still eating his poops and i never see any??Any advise please

I would really try stopping the pellets. Maybe you could feed Poppy her pellet, and take him out to play by himself for a while? That way, you two can bond, he can get a bit of excersize, and you dont have to worry about him eating the pellet.
Thats all I can suggest, I'm sure someone will come along that knows a lot more! Good luck!

xxx

Candy had to go on and is still on a diet, she also weighted 3kgs.

I cut out her dried food gradually, she get lots of curly kale, water cress, mustard and cress and herbs morning and evening. She's never been a hay eater until now but will munch away on that now she's relised there aint no more going in those bowls till next feed time.

She's not down to ideal weight yet but is getting there, has always loved fruit so the vet said she could have one piece of dried fruit a day, so it's either one slice of dried banana or one slice of dried apple.

It's taken a lot of will power on my part cos I'm the worlds worst for treats, candy wasnt too chuffed either but has got used to it and it is for her own good.

Good luck, I know it's not easy.

I have a similar problem...

Twiggy is overweight but eeyore is underweight. I can't cut down on pellets because eeyore needs them to build up his weight, but I think twiggy eats more of eeyores share cos eeyore likes to eat his veg first.

I haven't been for another weigh in yet, but my method at the moment is to give eeyore his pellets to encourage him to eat as many as his can before giving him his veg. He only eats about 1/2 tablespoon in one sitting though.

I've cut down on pellets slightly. I've gone from 2 tablespoons each twice a day to 1.5 tablespoons each twice a day. Been doing this for a couple of months.

I think eeyore has filled out a bit, but twiggy still looks a bit overweight.

Charliesangel said:
I would really try stopping the pellets.
xxx

I agree... stop feeding the pellets.

Barbie is an overweight bun, and shes on a diet of hay and redi grass only and some vegtables once a week.

i paired her up a few weeks ago with a male that only ate guniea pig food (what the rescue told me) so they are both on a diet together as he won't eat the pellets anyway.

My vet told me to feed barbie pellets once every 3 days (she was on supa exel lite) i tried this for a while but it didnt work. it was only when i took her to a rescue that they suggested a hay and grass diet only.

She looks a lot better now, and shes not getting a sticky bum either which is good as before she used ot have a bath once a week as well.

Back