• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

am at my wits end dont want him to die

caismeister

Alpha Buck
i really don't know what to do about my rabbit starbuck he has had snuffles since i had him but is totally fine in himself. he has been treated twice with baytril but it has not cleared up except he is not sneezing as much. the main problem is that every day i have to clean his nose by bathing it with warm water and then picking loads of snot off it. snot is blocking his nose everyday and as i keep having to bathe and pick it his nose is getting really sore and it bled a little last nite. however if i dont clean it every day it gets more blocked and i am so scared that he wont be able to breathe and i'll just find him dead one morning. i am going to phone the vet tomorro and speak with him about different treatment. does anone know what i could ask him for would be so grateful for any help

i'm not sure what to suggest but i'm sure someone else will, i hope your bunny will be ok though, i think there's loads of rabbits that live good lives with snuffles

baytril doesnt touch pasturella(suffles) and i would see another vet and get him to precribe injectable antibiotics!

bunnylove said:
baytril doesnt touch pasturella(suffles) and i would see another vet and get him to precribe injectable antibiotics!

I would definatly agree. You would be best to try either marbocyl or engemycin or if its pussy discharge try Duphapen.

Cheryl

sgprescue said:
bunnylove said:

I would definatly agree. You would be best to try either marbocyl or engemycin or if its pussy discharge try Duphapen.

Cheryl

just incase pussy discharge = snot! :D

Hiya. Sorry you have a snuffly Bun. You could ask your Vet if he/she could prescribe CO-TRIMOXAZOLE. It is available in a paediatric suspension called 'Septrin' and is banana flavoured so buns tend to love it. The dose is 40mg/kg orally twice a day. Some Vets give it in one daily dose. The course of treatment MUST be for a minimum of 7 days and often has to be longer. If you do not find this improves your Buns symptoms you could ask your Vet about going on to INJECTABLE PENICILLIN (such as Depocillin) Penicillin CANNOT be given orally to Buns but can be given by injection. When you clean your Buns nose you could smear some vaseline on after cleaning. This will protect the skin and help to stop the dried snot from sticking. Increasing your Buns fluid intake may be helpful. So if Bun is used to Veggies you could try increasing the amount. Echinacea in the drinking water may be useful. Hope some of this info' is of use. Jane and Buns xx

Have you had a nasel swab done?

My bun Alfie snots and sneezes every day, i wipe his nose for him. Fortunately it doesn't block his nose up as he wipes it away.

I had a nose swab done and it came back not pasturella, but apparently they are not always 100% accurate.

All of my vets have pescribed Marbocyl or Baytril which did NOTHING!!!

I am off to see a rabbit savvy vet tomorrow who will hopefully pescribe something else to clear this up once and for all. I wil let you know what she says and maybe you can suggest it to your vet.

Unfortunately some vets are not very clued up when it comes to snuffles!

Bonnie

bunnylove said:
sgprescue said:
bunnylove said:

Cheryl

Pussy discharge and snotty discharge are 2 different things :roll: :lol:

sgprescue said:
bunnylove said:
sgprescue said:
bunnylove said:

Cheryl

:lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx

sgprescue said:
bunnylove said:
sgprescue said:
bunnylove said:

Cheryl

arh i do apologise cheryl thats what my vet lead me to believe!

JCO said:
sgprescue said:
bunnylove said:
sgprescue said:
bunnylove said:

Cheryl

:lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx

well i must learn to swallow a text book next time i enter this section :roll: :roll: :roll:

Bisolvin might help - it makes the snot runny so the nose doesn't stay so blocked. You have to get it from the vet and put a pinch on the food every day. Also metacam might reduce the swelling in his nose and allow him to breathe more easily.
And injectable penicillin can help although once you start it you are unlikely to be able to stop as it isn't a cure.

Billy, my bun, used to suffer terribly from a blocked up snotty nose, which Baytril didn't help. My vet refused to try anything stronger than Baytril and said there was nothing else he could do for him. Billy is a house bun and sleeps in my room, I'd clean his nose for him before I went to bed, however, it was terrible listening to him trying to breathe through his blocked nose. In desperation, I used Vicks Micromist on Billy. It's a new updated version of the Vicks nasal spray for humans. It propels a fine mist of nasal spray up Billy's nose and clears it for him. I don't use it all the time, just when Billy's can't breathe through his nose properly.

OBVIOUSLY, I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE ELSE, AS IT IS NOT LICENSED FOR RABBITS. However, what I will say, is that in desperation, when my vet said there was nothing else I could do for him - I used this product and it worked for Billy. I have used it on Billy for over a year now and it has worked wonders. I have since changed my vet, at first he wasn't at all happy with me using this product, however, when he saw how it helped Billy, he agreed with me helping Billy in this way.

I KNOW THAT OTHERS WILL NOT AGREE WITH THIS. HOWEVER, THERE HAVE BEEN TIMES WHEN I AM CERTAIN BILLY WOULD NOT HAVE MADE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT WITHOUT IT, AND FACED WITH A LIFE OR DEATH SITUATION, I TOOK THE ONLY OPTION I HAD AT THE TIME.

we had a lion head who had the same problem. (treatment batyrl injections once a day for a month/change bedding/diet)
but where we had to remove the dried snot from his nose twice a day so he could breath the skin became vfery sore and would often bleed. i found that mixing up a little aromatherapy oils ( pure oil only. NOT synthetics ) in the same concontrations recomended for new born human babies (ONE drop of lavender oil +_ ONE drop of camomile roman mixed with 20ml sweet almound base oil. .) worked well to soothe the skin around his nose.

Back