• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When can I move mum and babies to new hutch?

Sue&Sooty

Wise Old Thumper
Holly's babies will be two weeks old on Monday and I really would like to get them into a bigger hutch to give them more space.

So when would it be ok to do it?

They haven't left the nest yet but Holly is fine about me handling them. I would transfer the nest etc into the new hutch :idea:

Hi,
It`s generally better to leave it until the babies have left the nest or it could upset Holly. On a positive note they should start coming out any day now. :D Have their eyes opened yet?

Su.x

their eyes are not quite open yet. I gave them a very quick cuddle last night, the black one is ok about being held but the grey one is like a little frog :shock: Holly didn't mind at all in fact she sat there watching me and came up and licked me once I'd put them back :D (She has only ever licked me once before and that was the day after she'd given birth)

As soon as their eyes are open they`ll be out exploring everywhere, it`s wonderful to watch! :love: Then they don`t need the safety of the nest anymore and it`ll be safest to move them.
The grey one sounds like Tia when she was younger, she used to leap about everywhere and i`d have to be careful opening the hutch or she`d try and leap out! :shock: :lol:

Su.x

Ooh yes - be careful once they're in a hutch - my baby piggies rush to greet me and it's very hard to stop them all falling out :shock: Best to fix a board along the front, a few inches high - wish I'd done that - Harriet actually fell out once but it was only a 12" drop and thankfully she was fine - more than you can say for my nerves! :oops:

elve said:
Ooh yes - be careful once they're in a hutch - my baby piggies rush to greet me and it's very hard to stop them all falling out :shock: Best to fix a board along the front, a few inches high - wish I'd done that - Harriet actually fell out once but it was only a 12" drop and thankfully she was fine - more than you can say for my nerves! :oops:

That sounds an excellent idea elve, to stop the babies falling out.

Oh babies :love:

Rabswood

I would leave it another week, until they start coming out of the nest they don't need extra room :)

I've never moved mum and babies before until it was time to separate them..and then you are supposed to move mum and leave babies in their own hutch to be least stressful for them. When they begin exploring the hutch it will only be for a very short time at first, and they will still be using their nest alot. It will become apparent when they are not using the nest (after around 4 weeks) as much, and that is when I would move them if you are insistent on doing so :)

Back