• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Georgie has been spayed

jayned

Young Bun
we picked her up from the vets at 5pm

she is in her hutch in the living room and will be kept in for a few days. She has had a few little drinks of water, but no food yet, not even cranberries!!!

I've made the hutch comfortable with old bath mats, towels & shredded paper, but she is lying in her hay tray :roll:

I'm a little worried that she hasn't eaten yet and she is shaking slightly. I'll keep my eye on her and will be sleeping by her on the sofa tonight :)

aww - hope she gets well soon! She may be cold as it's so freezing today - she needs extra heating as the op makes them shocked - should be warm like a hospital :)

She'll probably still be groggy from the anaesthetic - about 2am it should have worn off so hopefully she'll eat more tomorrow - Mine can't resist dandelions but they are out of season at the mo unfortunately :?

aww poor little thing, I think the anestetic makes them colder too. you are doing right but keeping her warm and comfortable. Try to temp her the best you can with her favorite foods, but if she has not eating by morning maybe ask the vet what to do. Hope she feels better by then.

Poor Georgie.
Both my rabbits have been spayed and had really quite differnt reactions afterwards. Archie (female) was really quite poorly (weak and cold), but Buns (female) seemed to get better really quickly. Archie was cold after the op, so I kept her under a blanket in a box. I would keep trying Georgie with her favourite foods. I find that if my rabbits are poorly they also retreat to their hay tray. I think that it is a good idea to have her sleep by you tonight so that you can keep an eye on her. Hope that she is a bit better in the morning and that you sleep well too!!! :)
Karen

:( Ah poor thing, I've had the same with my 2 Lottie & Jessie had their ops yesterday and have not eaten much until a couple of hours ago, but they seem to have picked up now. They're on paper (as the vet advised) inside but all they want to do is tear it to shreds! I just seem to be watching them all day but I'm sure they'll be fine. Oh well I'd better go to bed now as they look a bit sleepy too!!

Hi, I had my two mini lops neutered about one month ago. The vet let me collect them the same night although they had not eaten or drank. The female bun looked really poorly and was not interested in food at all. I kept holding the water bowl under her chin and she had quite a bit to drink. I was told to take her back the following morning if she was not eating. I got up in the night to check on them and caught her nibbling on hay. I gave her some watercress and she had that and by the following evening started to look more herself. Where as the baby boy bun looked quite perky. Typical eh men always get the better deal!!
Lots of love and talking to I think seems to reassure them when they are in pain. I know its really horrible watching them waiting for them to start eatin
I really hope she is looking better by the morning. Will be thinking of you both. Pam.

thank you so much for all your kind words :D

I slept on an inflatable mattress by her side last night...not that I got that much sleep.

She sat in her hay box most of the time and I had to take her water bottle to her, but she did drink a lot :D ...I also heard her drink through the night. As she was really cold, I had the heating on low through the night.

She still hasn't eaten any of her favourite cranberries or her own food, but she has had a small sprig of parsley this morning. She seems a bit perkier as she's moving a little more, but still sleepy.

Thanks again
xx

jayned said:
thank you so much for all your kind words :D

I slept on an inflatable mattress by her side last night...not that I got that much sleep.

She sat in her hay box most of the time and I had to take her water bottle to her, but she did drink a lot :D ...I also heard her drink through the night. As she was really cold, I had the heating on low through the night.

She still hasn't eaten any of her favourite cranberries or her own food, but she has had a small sprig of parsley this morning. She seems a bit perkier as she's moving a little more, but still sleepy.

Thanks again
xx

That sounds great!!! :thumb:

Really glad she is ok. I know how good it is when they start nibbling. I expect she will be so much improved by this evening. My female bun was groggy all the next day too. But by the following evening she was moving about a bit more and eating quite a bit too. My older mini lop can always be tempted with parsley, but the two baby buns can't resist watercress. Hope you have a good sleep tonight.Pam

I had Maa next to an electric heater after her op - I was too hot to sleep - They really do need it warm to recover well.

Back