• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

antibiotics

touie

Wise Old Thumper
going back to last weeks post about Amys bite wound. She fights me like mad and gets really stressed. The wound is looking much better and she's had a baytril injection on thursday and I've been giving her 1ml a day since then. Do you think she's had enough or should i continue a bit longer? I don't want to stress her out unneccessarily :?

Maa had baytril for 3 weeks when she had her eye out - have you tried giving it to her on cabbage folded over into a baytril sandwich? - Maa was happy to eat that if I didn't giver her anything else beforehand - once she'd had her carrot she knew it tasted iffy! :)

How long did the vet say give it to her?

I saw a useless rabbit vet, she was quite vague but said to bring her back in a week so guess she meant for her to have it for a week. No I havent tried the cabbage, not sure she'd go for it though I don't think she had veg before she came here, she's a little unsure of it!! :?

She gets more and more difficult to syringe though, last night I had her squeezed between my knees with my bodyweight pinning her down and her growling away at me and I don't think all of it went in her mouth even then!! :shock: :(

Hiya :) It is always difficult to answer these questions when we do not know what the vets opinion was. All I can give is an opinion based upon my own experieces with bite wounds.
Personally I would carry on for a while after the wound has healed up, as if even just a tiny microscopic bit of bacteria is left in the wound, it can lead to an abscess .
Abscess are hard to treat and would mean further stress for your bunny.
It is sensible to treat wounds strongly from the start to prevent this from happening, but your vet is the best person to advise you, as he/ she has seen the wound site.
I am very pleased to hear Amy is responding to the treatment, please give her a snuggle from me.

Best wishes

no joy with the cabbage :( she's actually growling at the caggage as well! :shock: guess I'll have to do it the hard way unless anyone else has any suggestions? :?

I don't know if this will help, but how about putting some on some bread and letting in soak through? this used to work with Bilbo as he loved bread. Or maybe some bannana, just a small amount and try and mash it in. Oh yes, some times even a tiny bit of porridge mixed with water and the baytrill might work. Good luck!

When I had to give Beebie her med`s I wrapped her up in a towel and she was much quieter, this was a suggestion from my vet.

She hated having the oral medication as well.

You really need to finish the course, usually this will be from 5 to 10 days. As Adele says there is still a risk of it abcessing until it is completely healed.
I do sympathise though. I have had a couple that really really fight it :? It is nearly impossible to get it down Sunshine when his snuffles plays up, which is why one of the reaons I am trying penicillin jabs this time round
:(

bunnies said:
When I had to give Beebie her med`s I wrapped her up in a towel and she was much quieter, this was a suggestion from my vet.

She hated having the oral medication as well.
I certainly agree with the 'towel wrapping'. Makes Buns feel secure :D . Would your Vet allow you Baytril INJECTIONS to give at home :? . MUCH less stressful for Amy and you!! Also antibiotics administered via injection are less likely to cause a GI upset and you can be sure an accurate dose is given. Jane and Buns xx

oooh no - don't give her veg if she's not used to it or you'll have even more problems! Sorry I just assumed she had it previously at her age :oops:

The way I got Maa to have her other antibiotics (tablets) was to splash a bit of hot water on a few pellets, leave them to soak, mash with a fork, cool and mix in the medicine - went down a treat and no unaccustomed food to deal with :)

thanks for your help, she is eating a little veg now without any tummy problems she just seems to prefer hay :? Might try injections next time, its a bit late for this time as I only have 3 more lots to get down her before she's had a weeks worth! I can't think how I could easily wrap her in the towel and hold her she's a big powerfull girl, still quite skinny but very long body :?

Back