• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A silly question?Life span?

it varies alot depending on the rabbit and its health.. a bit like humans really i suppose... but i think rabbits can live anything up to about 12yrs, altho possibly older.

I know that netherland dwarfs are generally around 7-10 years old. But of course, new housing, technology, and medicine has gotten stornger so you may seen the lifespan increase.

xxx

If the bunny is given the right diet, kept up to date with injections and has plenty of exercise and stimulation. Then the life span is probably 10+ years. There was some one on the site who had a 14 year old bunny.

My Harry is 7 years old and still going strong ( touch wood). He thinks and acts like a 2 year old, as that is the average age of the other 7. He was a badly treated rescue bun so I'm hoping I've reversed some of the damage done to him in the 6 years he's lived with me.

But it depends on the size of rabbit too. Rabbit's age, the way I understand it, the bigger the rabbbit, the shorter their lifespan.

My flemish giants, the breeder told me the av. life is only 6 yr., although some have live to 8 yr., but w/ a lot of health problems in the last 2 yr. However, that breeder is an idiot, they didn't know genetic diversification, so maybe their rabbits lives a shorter life.

But I don't understand why the above is the case. Beause w/ birds, it's the reverse. Little birds lives a short life, like less than 5 - 6 yr., vs. medium size birds like lovebird lives 10 - 20 yr., and big birds like parrots lives 80 + yr.

Happy Hopping said:
w/ birds, it's the reverse. Little birds lives a short life, like less than 5 - 6 yr., vs. medium size birds like lovebird lives 10 - 20 yr., and big birds like parrots lives 80 + yr.

With birds their heart rate (general metabolic rate) is higher the smaller they are - so they literally get worn out quicker!
But like you say this is the complete oposite to small/large bunnies. Small dogs live longer than big dogs too.

donna-arc said:
With birds their heart rate (general metabolic rate) is higher the smaller they are - so they literally get worn out quicker!
But like you say this is the complete oposite to small/large bunnies. Small dogs live longer than big dogs too.

Yes... generally through all living creatures bigger = lives longer, but with domestic animals I think that closer to natural size = lives longer (or that's how it seems to me anyway)

Back