• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Living Conditions

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
I have 2 alpha males (both neutered). Smirnoff (Boss Male No1) is loose all night with Joey (a neutered wus!), Caramel (my getting-spayed-on-Thursday dwarf lop female) & my two sister-baby-girl lionheads. In a morning, Joey, Smirnoff & Caramel are put in two large two-tiered hutches (with a hole in so they can all be together). During the day, Alfie (Boss Male No2) is loose with the two lionhead sisters.

I have a 2 year old spayed Rex who I had been unable to bond with anyone. However! She tolerates the baby girls & I saw her & Alfie grooming through the hutch bars the other day. I let her loose for a while & as long as they didn't go in her hutch, she seemed happy enough.

Does anyone see a problem with them being kept in this way? I only got my first bunny a year ago, & soon I'll have 10! So I'm kind of making it up as I go along!

Originally I had Caramel & Alfie together, but they started fighting (all her) & she definitely seems happier with Joey & Smirnoff & the babies.

By the way - the babies aren't really babies! Their mum died when they were days old & they are exceptionally small. They are about 5 months old (so just a bit younger than Caramel)

All the bunnies hutches are in the same room, so loose ones can see caged ones at all times & Smirnoff spends ages just lying outside Alfie's hutch!!

I have one other bunny - Cracker is a dwarf lop male, booked in to be neutered Thursday. He lives in a different room on his own at present, but I hope to fix that in a couple of months!

Hi Angie.
I think if your buns are happy split in 2 groups like you say they will be fine using excersise area like you are (1 group am-1 group pm )as long as the groups have plenty of cage room when not out .

I think youre very brave . i havnt dared go bigger than pairs yet.

Angie

Hi,

I don't think there are any rules with what works - just go with the flow. It sounds like you have a system that works well for your buns. I am enviuos that you have groups that get on!! How did you do it?

Good look with getting the last bunny into the system

happybunny said:
Hi,

I don't think there are any rules with what works - just go with the flow. It sounds like you have a system that works well for your buns. I am enviuos that you have groups that get on!! How did you do it?

Good look with getting the last bunny into the system

Luck!!! :D Mostly it's been down to who Smirnoff will accept! He was the first & the leader. If he doesn't like them, I try the other group!! He's easy to read though. If he sees another bunny he isn't gonna like, it's ears flattened & tail up. If he likes them he completely ignores them!

Back