• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What temperature are rabbits best kept at?

crE

New Kit
Would it be best if the rabbit was kept in the garage/outside/myroom? It gets warm i nmy room especially when the heaters are on..

Any suggestions would be welcome..

Mu mum wants him in the garage!!

Cheers,

Nick

Hiya!! Buns cope better with the cold (provided they have adequate dry bedding and shelter) than they do heat. Buns struggle in temps above 16c. Keeping a bun in a garage might be a problem if the garage is used for a car too.The exhaust fumes etc wont make for a very healthy enviroment. Buns also do not cope well with extreme changes in temp.So its not a good idea to bring an outdoor bun into a centrally heated house for a few hours then put bun back outdoors again. All in all a dry, well ventilated living area with a nice deep clean bed of hay/straw is fine for an outdoor bun. Jane and Bunsxx

hi

they mustn't be in a garage if it's used for the car too as the fumes will hurt it - Other than that it doesn't matter so long as it's the same all the time, not going from a freezing garden to a hot room then back again - If it's coming from a shop at this time of year it won't have grown a thick winter coat yet, so it will need to be indoors preferably, especially if it's a baby rabbit. Not to mention it's far easier to look after a rabbit indoors if it's dark, cold, wet and blowing a gale outside :)

Hi,

Where is he now? If he is inside a centrally heated house you will not be able to put him out until the Spring as the change in temperature will be too much and he will not have a thick enough coat.

A garage is good for the winter as long as no cars are kept in there, most bunnies are ok outside as long as the weather is not to bad and that the hutch is protected from drafts and the rain.

I guess if he is inside now then you may have won :lol: :lol:

Maureen

JCO said:
Buns struggle in temps above 16c.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Really?!! Our room temperature is a steady 22-25c, and they are always active and happy. Am I doing something wrong?

AMETHYST

I'm glad this was brought up. I was hoping to get a four month old french lop rabbit tomorrow, I was planning on keeping him in the shed with lots of bedding but my OH has just said it won't be fair on him as at the moment he is in a shop (large garden centre type (so not very warm) and he won't be able to adjust to the temperature. Does this mean I should wait till the spring to get a new bun. Or would he be OK with a snugglesafe heat pad and plenty of bedding?

Please help, I was so looking forward to getting him, but now feel that maybe I shouldn't. What should I do?

Debbie

I have health problems and have the heating pretty high. I have to say that Jacob sits under the radiator and even licks it, had to turn it down a bit in case he burnt his tongue as I burnt my hand when I touched it! He adores heat, I think they feel the cold more frankly and that that is more of a concern than being too warm!
I am certain that other bunnies from shops etc are being rehomed to be put outside in a hutch. Draughts are an issue, but other than that if you belive the shed to be warm and dry enough I suspect it will be. You wouldn't have come on this forum if you weren't going to take great care of your bunny. I think also that the fact that he will be in a nice, loving decent home will be better for him that in a shop being poked by whomever and maybe someone not so caring would buy him instead. I say do your best and give him a nice home.

:shock: I didn't even think about this!!!! I got my baby french lop just over a week ago, he was kept out doors and he was brought inside as a house bunny! he's doing well, (and he's much better off with me than what was going to happen to him!.) my parents don't have the heating on high and it goes off at night, so may be it's not really warm in here, but I really didn't think about tempreture change :oops:

Well, Sooty lives in the conservatory which is centrally heated with a cat flap out to access to the bottom half of the garden. She just goes in and out when she wants to during the day. Tinkerbell lives in the kitchen but I only put her in her bit of the garden during the summer so she basks in kitchen temperature in the winter!

The change in temperature doesn't seem to affect Sooty. She still likes to go and sit out in the pouring, freezing rain.

Kate

tomjacob said:
I have health problems and have the heating pretty high. I have to say that Jacob sits under the radiator and even licks it, had to turn it down a bit in case he burnt his tongue as I burnt my hand when I touched it! He adores heat, I think they feel the cold more frankly and that that is more of a concern than being too warm!

when it is cold in door, 'cause I try to avoid natural gas, I just heat up one room w/ the oil heater. So when temperture is around 15 C, I heat it up to 20 C. My bunny would sit next to the oil heater on purpose, enjoying the heat.

But in the summer, when it moves to 25 C or higher, she did drink a lot more water than usual. So some rabbit likes the heat up to a certain point.

Amethyst said:
JCO said:
Buns struggle in temps above 16c.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Really?!! Our room temperature is a steady 22-25c, and they are always active and happy. Am I doing something wrong?

AMETHYST
No!! as long as there is adequate ventilation and the atmosphere is not too dry :D . Central heating can play havoc with a buns respiratory tract....hence my c/h is set at 14c and I just wear lots of jumpers :roll: :roll: ......and a vest :shock: :shock: :lol: !!! Jane and Bunsxx

Back