• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hand Reared Wild Rabbit.....

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
...does any-one else have a wild Rabbit who has had to become domesticated due to being orphaned and subsequently hand reared?? Katie is the only survivor from a litter of 4. Her mother was run over and the babies were found hopping around Mum's body :cry: :cry: Sadly I was only able to successfully hand rear Katie :cry: :cry: . Her siblings all died within three days :cry: :cry: . It was such a traumatic experience and I will NEVER forget it :cry: :cry: Katie has some very different behaviour patterns to my other 100% domestic buns. She will only eat hay during the hours of daylight. It has to be dark before she'll touch her pellets/veggies. She is very reactive to the sound of other animals on the TV ..eg those on Wildlife programmes. She also reacts profoundly to the sound of wild birds squawking around our house. None of my other Buns seem in the least bit bothered so I assume it is because Katie is really a wild bunster.... :? :? ?? I could not release her back into the wild as I had had to syringe feed her and she just became too tame. I just hope I did the right thing :? :? . Katie seems happy enough and has bonded with a doe called Muirne. Katie is DEFINATELY the boss :roll: :roll: !! Jane and Bunsxx
rabbits894.jpg

newtraceyrabbits013.jpg

THIS IS SWEETPEA . SHE WAS A FEW WEEKS OLD AND NEEDED SYRINGE FEEDING WHEN WE FIRST GOT HER. SHES MUCH BIGGER NOW.
WE HAD THE SAME THING SHE GOT TOO TAME TO BE RELEASED.

ANGIE

bunnymadhouse said:
newtraceyrabbits013.jpg

THIS IS SWEETPEA . SHE WAS A FEW WEEKS OLD AND NEEDED SYRINGE FEEDING WHEN WE FIRST GOT HER. SHES MUCH BIGGER NOW.
WE HAD THE SAME THING SHE GOT TOO TAME TO BE RELEASED.

ANGIE

omg how gorgeous is she :love: :love: :love: :love:

Aww, bless her! She's lovely, it's so sad her siblings didn't survive :(. She's gorgeous though...she'll probably never lose her instinct, but I'm sure her behaviour will be more like domestic buns over time as she realises she isn't in the danger she'd be in in the wild.

Back