• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting bella to eat post op

Bella was spayed today and came home at about 4.30 this afternoon.
So far I haven't been able to get her to eat anything and I was just wondering how long before I should panic?
We had a promising looking moment when I gave her some bread crust but although she took it eagerly she then just put it in her litter tray. :roll:

hi

If she had her op about lunch time then she will still be a bit groggy till later on tonight - about midnight - Her pain relief will last till Saturday so she should be eating tomorrow morning - Book her into the vets for Saturday morning then she can have another shot of pain relief and anything else she needs, to last the weekend, otherwise emergency vets are very expensive if she's still not eating then!

I've tried bread crusts and dried blueberries which I know she loves but know luck so far.
She is drinking now, from a dish rather than a bottle (thanks to AlisonA!). I had to put the dish in her litter tray to get her to drink and she's managed to tip some of in into the tray. I think I'm going to have to sort that out in a minute or she's just going to get soggy.
And she's booked for her post op check at 9.15 saturday morning.

Ooh, I just turned to look at her and she's eating some of the crust, yay!

yay!

perhaps she is just trying to see how far she needs to go before she can have a whole line of treats ready to munch and if she gets anything extra special the longer she waits....

Yay!!!
Glad shes eating, I know how you feel had Smokie done on a fri, back on sat as she hadnt really eaten and I wasnt happy, by Sun she had pulled stitches out so back for 'nother stitching/stapling and picked up on monday. All I would say is if you are not happy take her back to the vets they dont mind and you know if youre bunny isnt right.

Lots of love & Snuggles for Bella
Hannah, Smokie & Archie

I bet she'll be eating well by tomorrow morning!! Poor girl has just had a hysterectomy so isn't likely to feel inclined to tuck into much for the next 12 hours or so. Having some fluids will help flush any residual anaesthetic drugs through her and will also go some way to get her guts moving. If she is still not eating in the morning go staright to your vets for some pain relief for her. If she was not given any AFTER her GA/Spay then she will NOT have any analgesic cover as vets use a drug to reverse the GA which not only reverses sedation but also negates analgesia. A non-steroidal anti inflammatory injection may be required for her tomorrow. Jane and Bunsxx

Well that nibble seems to be all she could manage, she hasn't eaten anything since.
I'm getting worried now. She's just lying dozing in her litter tray.

I'm definitely going straight to the vet in the morning if she doesn't eat though.

Everybody please send psychic "eat" messages to Bella.

Amber was just the same after her op. I had to put a spoonful of water to her mouth to get her to drink. She would only eat a couple of dandelion leaves every few hours for the first few days. Try fresh grass if you can't find dandelions.

My Mum seems to cultivate dandelions so I'll see if she can bring me some leaves over in the morning. I've already asked her to bring some kale.
She's probably going to arrive here with armfuls of greens. :lol:

I did phone the vet mid morning to ask about her lack of droppings but they said to leave it another few hours and then cll them back if the situation hadn't changed. Luckly it had so we just have to go tomorrow for the post op check up.
Poor Marlon still doesn't understand why he's being kept from his girl though. He took his frustration out on the phone cable earlier. :roll:

Back