• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A couple of questions?

Evilmonkey

New Kit
Hello again, I've got another couple of questions, and you all seem to have the best rabbit answers!

Just a bit of background on Warren to start off with, he's a little over a year old and has been with us about 2 months. He's a lovely dark grey rex, bought from a local breeder. He's un-spade and we keep him in the house, he has a hutch, but an increasing ammount of time he's allowed out into a large living room, and when we're around, to the rest of the house.

I might have to number the questions so I can keep track of them!

1.) We're currently using shop bought sawdust on top of newspaper to line his hutch, but it does get flicked everywhere. I kind of had the thought of buying a shredder and using some of the free newspapers shredded up instead? Is this bad for him? Is it just daft?

2.)He's getting a little more friendly, he's still not happy to be picked up, but he does like to be stroked (on his terms though). One VERY annoying habbit is that he sometimes comes to sit on our laps of an evening, but promptly pees on us. He seems pretty house trained for the most part, uses a tray in his hutch for things normally, so I started thinking, is this a sexual thing? Or territory marking? He does like to get a bit "friendly" with fluffy jumpers or fleece clothing if we're wearing them. I kind of wanted to keep it in reserve, but do you think getting him the snip might help this?

3.)Lastly and most importantly for him, I need some idea's for toys... I bought him 2 noisy balls, a willow ring thing, and a rolly food dispensor. He can be encouraged to use the food dispensor, but completely ignores the other bits and bobs. He seems to quite like materials, he like pulling things, digging at them with his front legs and pulling them again. I've been thinking about getting him some offcuts of fleece or something? Any good idea's?

As I promised last time, I've managed to get a couple of pictures of him. I'll try to get some nicer ones over xmas!

69701713_0076c745bf.jpg

Luke (and Warren)

What a handsome boy!

1. I would say shredded newspaper is fine. I use newspaper with straw and hay on top but if he is litter trained you could put an old towel in for him to lay on. Just watch to make sure he doesn't eat the paper as it could cause a blockage.

2. He is weeing on you to mark his territory. Neutering would probably stop him doing this.

3. How about an old telephone directory or yellow pages for him to destroy? My rabbits only seem to play with cardboard tubes from the insides of kitchen rolls.

Hi. I'm no rabbit expert but have learnt alot since getting my rescue rabbits last June and being a compulsive user of this site.
For what it's woth here is my two penneth!

1) I would'nt bother with sawdust, just newspaper on the floor of the hutch will be fine. I have also stuck lino tiles down first for easy cleaning. Does he have an area or a box with a hole in the you can fill with straw. Mine love being in a straw filled box.

2) I got both my boys neutered as soon as they were old enough. They don't spray or territory mark now also their wee doesn't smell as much.

3) Toys. I find the more I stimulte my 3 the more they want and little Oxo is so bright he amazes me. They have all sorts of 'toys' which I bring out in rotation, so they don't get bored with them. I've found it to be a trial and error thing. Some things they love, others they ignore.

Favourites are:
Large boxes with different entrances\exits especially if you can make cardboard tunnels to attach to them (making them also keeps me out of mischief! :lol: )
Willow balls from Pets at Home
Grass mats from '' '' ''
A single bed throw just in a heap on the floor (like to dig in it)
Paper bag with dried fruit in scrunched up at the end

Other stuff
Card board inners from loo rolls and kitchen roll
Different size balls
Empty plastic plant pots, different sizes
One of those ball things you put fruit/veg pieces in, you hang it up and it swings around as they try to get the food from it
Anthing safe for them to climb on or in
Cat play tent
Scrunched up newspaper balls

I'm always on the look out for new ideas so I'll keep my eye on this thread.

Rabswood

Thanks guys, his hutch has a plastic base already, so its fairly easy to clean out, its more that the sawdust gets flicked out all over the place.

Thinking about it we also use it in his litter tray? What should I use for that? I saw somwhere that non clumping cat litter was good? Or shredded newspaper again?

Neutering sounds like it might be on the cards then, how much does this cost normally? (I've no idea!)

I've been waiting for a new telephone directory, so we can donate the old one, but the rotating stock of toys sounds like a good plan!

He is beautiful, and he seems so excited to see us, its a shame he has to wee on us then! Probably too late to do it before xmas (we're off to dorset to see my in laws so we'll be pacing up his hutch, but think if he's had an op its probably better for him to be at home!)

Spaying and neutering can differ quite dramatically from vet to vet. It's worth phoning around to see who is a good price and if they are experienced with rabbits. Check out some of the past threads re questions to ask at the vets.

For example rabbits should be kept eating right up until their operation, if the vets tell you to stop feeding them 12 hours or so before then you know they don't know enough about rabbits so dont trust them with him.

Do a thread 'search' for loads more info.

Rabswood

I paid £50.00 for neutering. I bring home all the paper from the office
and shred it for his litter tray. Always put some hay to the front as
they like to eat when doing their business and TJ was woofing too
much paper down, now he chews the hay. My house rabbits aren't too
interested in toys but they love cardboard boxes, with a hole cut
in the front and the rear. They sleep inside them during the day and
rip them up as the mood takes them.

Sooty currently has:

5 loo roll tubes
2 kitchen roll tubes
1 sweet tube (empty of course)
12 boxes with holes cut in differing places
1 carrot toy from pet shop (which he hardly ever plays with)
2 balls (out of kids ball pool!)
Thompson local phone book
oh and the boys added a teddy bear today

and yep his fave ones are the ones that weren't paid for!! He just loves the tubes and boxes

sue

Evilmonkey said:
Thinking about it we also use it in his litter tray? What should I use for that? I saw somwhere that non clumping cat litter was good? Or shredded newspaper again?

I use woodshaving in all my litter trays so I'd stick with that if it's doing a good job

I used to use shavings, then I found the same problem as you - all over the floor :roll: . I now put newpaper in the bottom, then a layer of straw, with hay in one corner. Seems to be working well.

Some great tips guys,

I like the wood shavings as the seem to keep some of the smell down when fresh, but I reckon it could be time to branch out a little and try something different.

I'll also keep an eye out for some boxes as that does seem to be a bit of a common theme!

I was stroking warren tonight and I feel bad about taking him for the snip (bad and a little worried), but I guess if it makes him a nicer rabbit to be around.... I guess I'll just bite the bullet!

I used recycled paper cat litter in my tray.

And as far as toys go, Wilkos have some good rabbit toys, I bought my boys this carrot thing made out of hay or something, they chew it up, throw it around, they love it... and it was only 79p :)

They also have lots of boxes to play with and a couple of cat toys.

Back