• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help please with bunny who doesn't like cuddles

kahren

New Kit
How can I get my bunny, who is about 9 months old, to stay in my arms when I try to cuddle her? I spend a lot of time stroking her to get her used to me but when I try to pick her up she makes a run for it. She is a house bunny so is used to being around us and our other bunny.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Most bunny's do not like to be picked up. You do get cuddely rabbits but most just prefer to sit next to you and have strokes XX

How is she if you sit down next to her - does she come over to you, sit next to you, put head down for tickles etc :) Reason I ask is that lots of bunnies don't enjoy being picked up for cuddles, but will cuddle next to you, or even settle on your knee for cuddles :D

Robbie doesn't like being cuddled as such. I do pick him up for bum checks, transporting etc :wink: , but the closest I get to cuddles is when I sit next to him and tickle his head - I often get a 'head butt' if I am lucky :lol: , however, bizarre as this sounds, he does this very softly, and only to me, never to my hubby, so I take this as a sign of affection :wink: :lol: Moosie loves cuddles on any kind though, but she is the most gentle bun I've ever come across :D

No buns like being picked up.

I got my rabbit to be very tame by sitting on the floor with him and stroking him, he wont sit on your lap or anything he likes to be ground level.

He will let me easily pick him only becuase he knows it is just to be carried from the hutch to the lounge or from the run to the hutch or whatever and never struggles!

Alfie kennedy said:

I don't entirely agree with this, although you can see from my post above that I think it is the case with a lot of buns.

One of my buns loves being picked up and cuddled - she grinds her teeth like crazy (gently :wink: ), and burys her wee head right into you. She closes her eyes and almost nods off at times :D

Lynn said:
Alfie kennedy said:

I don't entirely agree with this, although you can see from my post above that I think it is the case with a lot of buns.

One of my buns loves being picked up and cuddled - she grinds her teeth like crazy (gently :wink: ), and burys her wee head right into you. She closes her eyes and almost nods off at times :D

I agree with Lynn, the majority of mine do like to be picked up but i have 3 that do!

Most buns hang on to their 'prey animal' instinct....Being picked up means you are about to be some animals DINNER :shock: :shock: Buns that are handled from very young, even a few days after being born, and from there-on handled several times a day every day will be more of your 'cuddly bun'. :D :D Jane and Bunsxx

I have a bun Rudy who would sit in your arms all day long if he could ask loopylop. but most of my others hate being picked up but love you stroking them while they sit next to.

kayj said:
I have a bun Rudy who would sit in your arms all day long if he could ask loopylop. but most of my others hate being picked up but love you stroking them while they sit next to.

:D :D Rudy! :love: :love: :love:

Yup, Sophie will sit next to me for HOURS on end, but as soon as I try to cuddle her, she is off... but then comes back for some more fuss!!! :lol:

Alfie kennedy said:

I got my rabbit to be very tame by sitting on the floor with him and stroking him, he wont sit on your lap or anything he likes to be ground level.

He will let me easily pick him only becuase he knows it is just to be carried from the hutch to the lounge or from the run to the hutch or whatever and never struggles!
I'd ahve to disagree with this. Molly adores being picked up and cuddled... to her the only thing better than sitting on my knee for hours is hopping and digging in the garden but my little old duracell bunny will sit quietly on knee for hours and hours and hours.............................

Totti has no objection to being picked up as well. Brody has a strop initially but will then sit there quite happily.

My bunny likes us to sit on the floor beside him and stroke him FOR HOURS! He loves his cuddles like this, but is not keen on being picked up. He doesn't struggle, but you can see he is nervous, so we only pick him up if he needs to be carried or cleaned up. He will only jump on our laps if we have a treat for him, he will stay on to eat it, lick our trousers for a bit and then jump off again!

So, what the best way to get them to enjoy being stroked? My two jump up next to me on the sofa, walk around on me and sniff my hands/arms but as soon as I move they're off!! I guess I just have to build up the trust. I've started feeding them tasty treats form my hands and talking to them a lot (uhoh, crazy lady!!) so hopefully this will work, any other tips would be much appreciated!
xx

:shock: :shock: Eeeeek, think I've got a nutty bunster!! Newest arrival little Millie has just launched herself up onto the plate I was holding.....AGAIN!! Last time she landed in a pile of cottage cheese.. :roll: :roll: tonight she landed on a pile of salad. :roll: :roll: She also stands up on her back legs and 'asks' to be picked up. :shock: This bun aint right in the head....and she is only 12 weeks old.....!! Jane and Bunsxx

I must have a confused bun too then!!

Sooty loves to snuggle into my neck and will sit there for ages, in fact I usually get bored before he does! Also he will happily lie on his back in my arm like a baby too. (but then I suppose he is a baby still at 12wks)

Toby likes to be handled and even when his not in that mood he just puts up with it. But when you get a bunny you have to understand that MOST do not like to be handled. I always say if you want a pet that you can cuddle don't get a rabbit. Some rabbits like being handled most don't. That’s not to say that people should give up handling them. They still need to be tame and not bite people.

nemo HATES being picked up . so i only lift him when i need to .
Hope and blueberry muffin both jump up me like a dog when they want picking up and if i dont pick up hope when she asks she nips my feet and ankles till i do. :shock:

All buns are different some like picking up and cuddling , others hate it .

Angie

Alfie kennedy said:

!

The 2nd rabbit that I had 5.5 yr. ago, she hops on the far end of my bed while I'm sleeping, and she just stays there. Very comfortably, so ground level or not, it's just up to my rabbit.

Back