• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying

Joo & Phoebo

Young Bun
I notice you guys talk about this quite a lot... is it essential for buns? Rich and I have never discussed it with Phoebo, he seems happy and I wouldn't want to do anything like that if its not necessary.

I think he's a 'proper' adult bun now - we remembered noticing a few months back when his 'bits' dropped! (I freaked out, I thought it was bunny hemaroids as Phoebo was having toilet issues at the time!!!)

it doesn't seem to have changed his behavior at all... what are the benefits for him of doing it? or not doing it?
thanks and sorry I'm always asking stuff!

X

We had Sparky castrated and have noticed a big difference in the way he is, seems to have calmed him down no end!

We've got Jezebel booked in to be spayed in a few weeks time!

Phoebo isn't naughty though (not that I'm implying any other buns are!!!) - he doesn't seem to need calming down if you see what I mean!

Hiya! Spaying is the name of the procedure for female buns, the generic term for both sexes is "neutering". The main benefit for boys is that it allows them to be paired with a lovely girlie bun and have some company without producing millions of babies!

Sometimes male bunnies even on their own can get sexually frustrated (for example he might run round your feet in circles whilst making grunting noises, or try and hump things.) My first bunny used to hump my Winnie the pooh slippers before he was neutered and would sometimes even, erm, make a mess.

They can also lose their litter training or become territorial (although this is more common in females). Male bunnies may start weeing everywhere, such as on you, or spraying up furniture, much like unneutered tom cats do.

The procedure for boys is relatively simple (it involves a general anaesthetic but they don't have to open up their abdomen) so in the hands of a good vet who knows how to anaesthatise and look after bunnies well, it shouldn't be too much to worry about.

Spaying females is slightly more complicated, as they have to open up the abdomen to remove their bits. Females often get territorial and aggressive once they are mature and spaying can reduce or even eliminate this behaviour. Also, the statistics for the number of unspayed female rabbits getting uterine cancer are huge, I forget what they are now, but it seems that there is a fairly high risk for unspayed bunnies.

Hope that helps a bit!

Alison x

AlisonA said:
Also, the statistics for the number of unspayed female rabbits getting uterine cancer are huge, I forget what they are now, but it seems that there is a fairly high risk for unspayed bunnies.

The statistics vary on every site, and the last study was taken years and years ago I believe. however, i remember someone on here who runs a rescue saying that EVERY female rabbit they spayed that was nearly/over 4 years had the start of uterine cancer, and they have spayed dear knows how many rabbits! So I am very much for spaying females. :wink:

Are you thinking of maybe pairing your boy with another bun? He will have to be neutered before introducing a friend. :wink:

Yep,80% of un-spayed does over the age of 4 have uterine cancer in-situ. The ONLY way to protect a female bun from this HORRIBLE disease is to spay them If an older doe is taken on un-spayed treating vet can be asked to do a chest X-ray BEFORE going ahead with the spay. Uterine cancer tends to metastasise (spread) to the lungs and there would be no point in subjecting a doe to major abdominal surgey if secondary tumours are already present in the lungs. Uterine cancer is usually asymptomatic 'til it is 'too late' so I'd say spay your bun!! Jane and Buns xx

Back