• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice please on woodshavings.

hoppitylops

Warren Scout
Does anybody use Wooburn dust extracted woodshavings, i believe it is usually used for horses but i have the opportunity of purchasing very large bags from our local farm for only £2, they also sell meadow hay for £1. Any advice please? :roll:

Hiya. As long as the wood is NOT PINE (which it shouldn't be if its for horses) it'll be ok. I get mine from an equine suppliers too. Does work out MUCH cheaper...especially when I've got 32 bunsters!!! JCO XX

Just been on the Wooburn website it states that the woodshavings are 100% pine. I know that pine can be toxic to rabbits {am i right?} but certain methods of the woodshaving process can eliminate this.......can anyone enlighten me, i have emailed the company for their views on the subject. :roll:

Kiln-treated pine is meant to be free of the phenols that are supposed to be harmful to animals - they apparently overstimulate the kidneys/liver (can never remember which), and some are too dusty and irritate the respiratory system (which is why woodshavings aren't recommended for rats, which are prone enough to breathing problems)

woodshavings

I use chopped straw :) its about £7 for a bale & is very safe for bunnies :) I get this from a farm & pay £1.80. for bedding hay & £4 for top class eating hay.

Iuse hunter woodchips and get them from my horse yard, they are the best and cost about £5.99 for a small bale or £7for a large one,this one would clean out about 60 rabbits. This is with a 2-3 inch covering on a 4ft cage. They do do other makes as well as long as you buy it from a horse place then its ok. val

I still havent heard from Wooburn about their shavings.....will continue emailing them till i get an answer....might have to be patient :lol: will let you know what happens.

I have my bun on Megazorb. I get it from a horse feed/bedding supplier & pay £6.60 for a 75 litre bag!! Very similar to carefresh but an awful lot cheaper and safe for buns. Any one else use it? I would definitly recommend it.
:)

Wooburn the manufacturer of the woodshavings never did reply, sorry JCO not sure what to use now, although if the woodshavings have had the dust extracted and they are safe for horses, i think it should be okay to use it for our buns. I think i am going to give megazorb a try once i find a local supplier. Thanks BOO for the recommendation. :)

I have been out today and bought 2 x 85ltr bags of Megazorb for only £4.50 each, will let you know how it compares to woodshavings. The farm i bought them from is only 10min away & manufactures it so couldnt be any more local and convienient:D They also make a product called Graze-on for horses but does anyone out there use it for their bunnies?
http://www.northerncropdriers.co.uk/ :thumb: Thanks Boo for the recommendation.

cedar is the red wood and it is highly toxic and pine also is toxic.

Both are softwoods and therefore release phenols, kiln dried or not. Kiln dried helps to lower the amount but it ideally should not be used. The american pine is even worse than the UK's and for those who live in America they have a wide selection of critter care, carefresh, aspen, yesterdays news etc.

I have never used shavings as vet advised not and use a combination of newspaper and vet bed instead. Vet also advised not hay or straw for bedding as too mouldy and too many mites.

Back