• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boys having op' tomorrow (Mon)

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
I'm a waiting anxiously for the morning to come as my little boys are being castrated and poor Pippin is having his teeth out also.
Planning on keeping them over night in the guest rom in an indoor cage.
I'm mostly worried about Pips being able to eat straight after the op with a sore mouth, poor litttle mite.

I'm really scared.

I'm planning on offering for the next few days:
oats soaked in luke warm water (which already really like)
pellets soaked in luke warm water
organic tender carrots and potatoes baby food
organic mixed veg meadly baby food

Then in a couple of days adding:
finely grated carrot, apple (already eats carrot and apple on a regular basis)

Do you think this will be OK.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Rabswood

Bless! I'm sure they'll be fine, and it sounds like you're well prepared too. Good luck, let us know how they get on.

Hope all goes well.
Will be thinking of you.x
Sorry I don't know anything that Pippin can eat, but your list sounds good, hopefully the vet will advise you on what he can eat.

Thanks for your good wishes everyone.

Took the boys this morning for their pre-op examination and we can't tell them apart? Pippins teeth seem to be fine now. They were previously growing at a rate of knotts. The vet has now advised that I carry on feeding as I have been feeding as Pips now seems to be wearing his teeth down OK????.

As we cant tell which one is which I couldn't say take Pips teeth out to be on the safe side to avoid another anesthetic and more expense.

So both boys will be back with their pearly whites but minus their chestnuts!

Have to phone at 4.00pm to see when I can collect them.

Cheers

Rabswood

Hope they go on ok and its good news that pip doesnt have to have his teeth out :D

When Bernrad had his teeth out he ate hard pellelts at the vets very quickly after the op ... and when he came home he ate everything as usually I just chop/shred his veggies and fruit into bite sized pieces ... its amazing how they cope isnt it?

Boys are home and everything went OK.

They are in the guest room at the moment in an indoor cage just with news paper on the bottom. I've givn them some oats and warm water (a favourite) and a bowl of water. There's a dim light on. I've turned the central heating off in that room as I don't want the climate change to be too drastic as no heating in Rabsville. Leaving them in peace.

Going to check on them in an hour or so and take half a carrot each with me (another favourite).

Vet says no climbing/scrambling about until their stitches are taken out in 10 days time which means no Rabsville with the ramps and shelves to jump from. 10 days is too long to keep them in the small indoor cage and seperate from Lavender. Think I will have to put one of the runs up indoor and kep them in that and keep bringing Lavender in for a visit. Will have to keep the cats out though.

I have 4 cats. Tiggy is frightened of the Rabs and runs away if she sees them in the outdoor run. Tess sits and looks at them and has actually been in the run but was more interested in going into the new compost bin (rabbit hideout) while the Rabs ran around. Lily shows no interest at all, shes very docile. Now Boo Boo despite her cute name, has a very sinister side and I would not trust her with the Rabs alone.

So what fun I will have...NOT.
The next 10 days will be very interesting.

The boys are back this Thursday for a check-up.

Rabswood

Back