• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

disinfectant

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
I need a good ( but not expensive) disinfectant that i can use in the hutches and runs. I am using spray hutch cleaner in the hutches and i mostly swill the runs with water and a bit of dettol, then rinse well . i dont feel this is ideal and im sure there must be something better .

Any ideas folks. what do other rescues use and wheres the best place to get it

Angie (Barnsley animal rescue)

An old thread from previous about discinfectants and hutch cleaning. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/t...days=0&postorder=asc&highlight=dettol&start=0

Dettol should be allowed to thoroughly dry before placing animals back in a cage as it can cause mouth and tongue ulceration and breathing difficulties.

Whilst things like Trigene are fairly expenxive to buy however they do go a long way if you mix them correctly. A litre of Trigene is approximately £11 however it will allow you to refill a stray bottle many many times, therefore it will be cheaper in the long run than normal cage discinfectants. It may be woth you contacting other people who rescue in your area to see if you can buy 5 litres between you which would work out considerably cheaper at around £35.

Janice

i used happy shoppers own kitchen cleaner now. yes it has bleach in it but i scrub away then wash it with warm water and then dry it properly. (1 whole kitchen role :shock: )
then thats usually fine!
food bowls,bottles and hay racks i use water!

We use Virkon. Its not cheap to buy at £16.42 but as it makes up 50 litres it works out at only 32p per spray bottle full. Our bottle will last about 6 weeks but we do use it all over the house.

Like there rep said if it has a long name there is a very good chance it will kill it (virii and bacteria wise)

Bunnybasics said:
Our bottle will last about 6 weeks but we do use it all over the house.

I thought it was only active for about a week once it had been made into a solution?

sorry Alison, I meant a whole tub of Virkon will last that long :) , you are right though it will change colour when its no longer usable

well thanks for that every one . theres more to chose from than i thought .think i might go for Tamodine-e its middle of the road price wise . what do you think ? 1 l for £23.50

I use white vinegar and sometimes add a few drops of Tea Tree oil to the solution to give it a bit of a kick. Cheap, safe and effective! :)

I'm not happy using bleach and other nasties on my animal’s cages etc.

Louise

Yup white vinegar works wonders!

I also use Johnson's clean'n'safe, it doesn't contain phenols so is safe for animals.. But I rinse thoroughly and let it dry before any bunny contact! It smells lovely and floral!

hi

yeah I love the smell of that Johnson's clean & safe :D I used to use it till I suddenly had 21 guinea pigs cages to clean :shock:

I now spray with the 10% bleach mix, leave for 10 mins to kill all the germs, then wash with hot water from a watering can, dash of washing up liquid, rinse, dry and collapse in a heap :lol:

Back