• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

handling

Leesa

Warren Scout
Has anyone got any tips for getting a rabbit used to be handled?

I don't mind him not being handled if he doesn't like it, but feel he needs to be used to it for trips to the vet etc. He didn't even like being stroked when I got him but now he will tolerate it and now he will sit on my knee whilst eating, or jump over us on the couch, but he really really doesn't like being held, he just struggles and tries to get away - you can't even sit holding him and feeding him etc. My mum and my boyfriends friend who are both more experienced have both had difficultly, he struggles to the point where it pains me to see it and I ask them to put him down in case he breaks something. He now barely comes out while my mum's there.

I'm fine getting him back into his cage after he's finished playing etc, but how am I going to take him to the vets to have his nailed clipped, neutered etc? Any pointers greatly appreciated.

hi leesa

i have to admit i gave up a long time ago on "cuddling" my bunnies. i've never had a bunny that really enjoyed being held although i'm sure there's plenty of them out there. mine abosolutely loved being stroked and having their heads rubbed-they come to us for cuddles and grind their teeth whilst i'm doing it. i realised that if they were happy i was happy and rarely cuddle them. it doesn't mean they cant be handled, in fact i think they're better because they're not expecting to be picked up all the time. they're all taken into the house every week to be checked over and don't mind being carried from shed to house and when we visit the vet i have no problems, i think i've got a better bond now than when i first had bunnies as they don't have to worry about being picked up.
sorry this is a bit long, hope it helps to reassure you even if i've given no advice! :?

any ideas on how to do the pick bit without struggling? i get so scared he's gonna hurt himself. have printed that out that bit to read.

could you try to get him to walk in the carrer then put him say on the sofa or knell down and lift him onto your lap then put him strate down do this a few times a day advetuley you may be able to stand up with him in your arms its all down to confordence good luck it will take weeks even mounths to sort out

I agree with Honey. When i first got Hobbes he hated being picked up. I tried to pick him up regularly but he just got more scared and neither of us enjoyed it. I only pick him up to take him to the vets now and make sure its quick, straight from the hutch into the carrier. He doesn't struggle now as much. He is better being handled less.
No two rabbits are the same though!

my house bun nemo hates being picked .when i carry him out side to the run i have to hold him against me tightly or he would wriggle out of my arms. he calms down if he can push his face under my arm till his eyes are covered. the only other times i pick him up are to clean his bottom cos he cant always clean himself due to an old injury and to go to the vets.

if you keep handling to a minimum he should get better . talk calmly to him and try to cover his eyes. dont let him wriggle free put put him down as soon as possible.

nemo is much better than he was 6 months ago but he ll never be a cuddly bun

Angie

Yeah these bunsters certainly are Ground Lovin Critters me thinks.

Zac had real bad stress problems when he first came to us - and its taken nearly 12 months to get him to feel comfortable in being picked up - he was a Rescue bunny and I knew very little about his history. But with load of patience he's much better now. What worked for him was that he got real used to me giving him a fuss when he was munchng in his Hay Box and this progressed to gently picking him up but holding him really firm so he feels really secure.

He also has something nice to associate with being picked up as it normally means he's coming downstairs to play and for a carrot treat so he doesn't automatically think he's about to have his nails trimmed or go to the Vets.

It can take time but the wait is well worth it :wink:

Good luck - hope this helps.

hi

Like Estelle I find that they trust you more the less you handle them, so when you really NEED to pick them up they are far less likely to have a panic attack if they already trust you - After 2 months with my wild bunch of girls I now get asked for a head rub by Maa, and her daughters will let me touch their head briefly before running away - which is progress!

Thanks for the replies, I'm not bothered about him not being a cuddly rabbit - he's friendly enough when he feels like it. Just don't want to look like a complete wimp when I have to get him out of his carrier in the vets!!

Back