• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A thought on stasis

Lizzie

Mama Doe
Have been meaning to share this with everyone for the last 2 weeks!!!!! The day I took Isabella for her myxi, along with 4 others :lol: , I mentioned to Jason that she had been "windy" the day before but I had isolated her, given her Infacol and she was soon pooing and eating again, I added that she was a little prone to this and he suggested cutting down on her mix to make her eat more hay, explaining that this would reduce the amount of fermentation in the stomach hopefully leaving her less prone to such attacks. :D I thought it would be useful to share this information as it could help others who have bunnies who are prone to such frequent mild attacks, it could be an answer. I sure hope it works with Bella! :wink:

it makes sense tho - if cheeky ate alot of greens despite still going to the loo he used to get a windy gurgly tummy and I spent many a night rubbing his tum and I used infacol . I cut back on his greens and this cured it (apart from his mushy peas tho) :lol:

Yeah Lizzie - this is great advice and very similar to that which I was given by my bunny savy vet Deborah to help Buffs who is prone to the same thing.

All mine now has very little Pellet Food - just under a table spoon morning and night but loads of good fresh hay, hay, and more hay and touch wood :roll: this diet does seem to work for her. They also has limited greens, only a very small amount of fresh herbs normally and absolutely no treats other than small pieces of carrot before bed and fresh natural apple sticks.

What I can never understand is just how it just seems to happen - not like I change their diets or anything so even though she's fine at the moment I always seem to be on constant poo watch for any decrease in size and output :lol: :lol:

Oh right, good advice thanks! My rabbit Honey used to always have windy attacks as you call them :lol: Shes prone to being overweight and is very greedy but I've managed to make her lose weight and I haven't heard a single 'noise' from her in a while! She seems to eat almost constantly, I think I'll buy some different varieties of grasses to make her hay consumtion a bit more varied. Poor bun, she really loves her pellets :D I didn't know it was a common problem

just another little tip for a build up of gas, ive had good results with a small amount of bicarbinate of soda given with water by mouth. :)

Back