• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scabs in the Ear (He as had is post op check today

kayj

Wise Old Thumper
Just wondered if anybody had any idea before I take him to the vets on Thursday. I rescued him as he was going to be pts, and now I think I now the reason why as I have found a lump/ abcess near his rear end and also he as the remains of a bursted on on the top of his back. I have also noticed he has some scabs down one of his ears and wondered if anybody could advise what to bathe them with.

aawww poor wee thing :( Did he have a home lined up yet?
What are the scabs on his ear like? Are they pretty much healed up?
If he has abcesses shouldnt the vet take a look in case he needs antibiotics? Im afraid ive never had to deal with an abcess so cant say what to do about it. Maybe warm salty water?

Scabs in the ear can be a sign of ear mites. Is he scratching? Does it look like there is also a build up of wax?

I would clean them very, very gently with salt water (about one teaspoon salt to a pint of water) on a cotton bud; don't poke too deep in the ear as they are quite fragile. If it is mites causing the scabs, you may be able to see the mites moving.

(I'd clean the abcesses with salt water too, until the vet has seen them.)

Hope that's some help, and hope the rabbit's doing ok! :D

Kate and Jack xx

Scabby ears was the first thing I noticed about Old Lace before I convinced her owners to let me take her. I thought it was mites, but it turned out that she had been scratching her ears because of the pain of them both being infected. :shock: They were really bad and it progressed to head tilt as soon as treatment began:( So you may not want to wait until Thursday to get him looked at. If he has abcesses in other places he could have a nasty infection going on. Poor Lace has infections in her eyes as well and for a while we thought she had one in her abdomen too but it turned out to be food :D

I used the aloe soothe cream from gorgeous guineas on her ears and they healed up nicely - on the outside :roll: I am using it around her eye as well where it is really bad because it is the eye she lies on all the time, the one on the bottom where she has her head tilted over. She has lost all the fur around it, but the skin is much less inflamed now. The cream also healed her mouth when it got sore when I was syringe feeding her. It works reeally fast. I can't say enough good things about it :)

Thanks guys for all the advice, he had been on a weeks antibiotics before I had picked him up. As regards to his ears the scabs are pretty dry but he runs of and shakes is head if you touch him. I have been bathing them with salt water. My vet is away till Thursday and really want her to check him out than another (If you know what I mean). Thought I might put him on some baytril till then what does everybody think.
He hasn't got a home lined up yet and there is no way he is going anywhere until I have sorted him (Infact I have already decided to keep him) He is a lovely lively bun that loves snuggling up to you and is very very friendly.

Awwww bless - must drive them bonkers, all that itching - Hope your bunny gets better soon and you eventually find a lovely home for him.

Awww Phil, he is lovely he is very similar to Samson & Delilah (fluffy I mean) well I think he is as the girl I picked him up off has tried to de matt him and what a botch she has made he looks bald in places I will take a pic he looks like he has been severely severly neglected (bless him)

Sudocrem (the baby cream) is absolutley fantastic for cuts and scabs and infecgtions, it heals them up and dries them out in no time.

I would go to the vets personally as you may need some antibiotics, better catching it early!

Well I am taking him to the Vets in a hours time so wish the poor little bunster well as I am actually a bit wary as the rescue he came from use my Vets so I know there would probably have been good reason for the rescues decision. The girl who took him in from them doesn't really know about rabbits, and she hasn't been working at the rescue very long. I think she as just thought 'I will take him as I know Kay will take him'.

Awww Thanks. Call me observant but I have just noticed you are from Bury, you will have to call and have a cuppa when you have time.
Kay

Aw thanks Kay, I keep looking at all your rescue bunnies, I'll just have to come blind folded though or else I'll be wanting to take them all :) :)
Stephen am sure will keep me in check :) :)

Hope all went well this evening, Ruddie's story has really touched us.

Love the Jetty Clan (ally and stephen)

Back