• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pairing up two bonded pairs

honeyem22

Young Bun
Hi, I hope I have posted this in the right place. I have two boned pairs of rabbits. one set live indoors and the others live out doors. All neutered and all roughly same age. Between 2 to 3 yrs old. Would it be possible for them to all live together?
Emma

Im sure someone will be along very shortly to give you some advice it may help to know ...

Are they all neutered?

What sexes are they all?

I think there are other people on here that have bonded two pairs successfully, so they should be able to help.

It doesn't always work out (although my situation was slightly different in that I introduced two more to a pair individually). I bonded a male to my male-female pair, but when I tried to bond another doe my first doe just wouldn't accept her. It can depend a lot on individual personalities of the buns I think.

I managed to bond 2 male/female (all neutered) pairs together. It was actually a male from one pair and a female from the other that took a dislike to each other at first. There was a fair bit of fur flying for the first few days but after that they were fine. They are all inseperable now. It is very important to introduce them on neutral territory if you are going to try it.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, this is something I would consider doing in the future, so am interested in how exactly you did this. Did you introduce them all to each other one at a time, or did you put all 4 together at once? How long did it take before you were happy to leave them all together?

I put all 4 in together and left them in together. I put them in a large run for the day and then back in the bigger enclosure in the evening. In my opinion you are only asking for trouble if you keep putting them together and then seperating them. In the first few days there was a fair bit of chasing and fur flying but no injuries so they were left in together. As you can see from the pic they are all happy buns now :D

bunnies1.jpg

Awww how cute. I must admit I've never separated bunnies once I've started bonding either, listening to the trouble a lot of people have I guess I've been lucky! I usually end up sleeping downstairs with them for a couple of nights so I can shout/spray water if necessary if a kerfuffle breaks out, but it's been rare.

Do your 4 naturally still spend most of their time with their original partner or is it much more of a general bunny love-in these days?

Back