• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Care after Castration

TripleD

Warren Scout
Hi all,

Sparky's just had his castration check up, and the wound is weeping a bit, so the vet has given me some anti-biotics.
One lot can go in food or water, but the other one has to be given via a syringe in the mouth.
Now sparky at the best of times doesn't like to be held or touched, so any ideas how I can give him the medicine?? The vet suggested laying him on his back, tried that tonight and it doesn't work!

Any Ideas??

hi

It would be best if you went back to your vet and asked him to inject the antibiotics I think - no point stressing out your bunny wrestling with him, and it might hurt his delicate bits :?

But if you want to do it, kneel on the floor, throw a towel over him and wrap him up quickly so he can't struggle, then drag him (mind his sore bits!) in between your legs so his back faces you, then he can't kick out or escape - and syringing put the syringe sideways, just behind his front teeth - be very careful not to choke him - your vet is mad saying lay him on his back to syringe a liquid into his mouth :?

Hope he gets better soon poor baby - could you try dusting the wound with Vetzyme antibacterial powder - in the dog and cat section of pet shops?

well the vet's is shut by the time I get home, so no can do that one!

Tried for hours last night, and holding him or trying to catch him is not an option!

Only way I could do it is bribing him with some kale, and when he's enjoying it, shove the syringe in his mouth and squirt a bit!
Took probably 6 attempts before he had it all. But he's jumping about wiping his face, and licking his feet once I done it! I guess he don't like the taste!
Only another 6 days left of it :roll: :cry:

hi

Oooh sounds very hard work - good luck!

I wonder if the emergency vet would give him an injection if you explained it to him - only if he doesn't get all his antibiotics properly it'll breed superbugs as some bacteria won't get killed - might be worth ringing to see if they have a night vet for emergencies?

Tried the Kale approach last night, and what a nightmare!! Kept seeing the syringe coming, and was playing up like a good un' Destroyed al his bedding and everything, Got fed up, and he was getting too stressed so gave up in the end!!

Gonna have to phone the vet I think!

elve - can I ask a silly question here :?: :?: :?:

Is it that critical that the other medication is given by syringe - could you give it in a wee bit of baby food or does it effect the way the medication works for the bunny - just wondered :?:

Back