• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Off day?

nicolar

Mama Doe
Hiya

I'm sure that bunnies have their off days as we do ours, but it worries us bunny parents!! Pippa has been very quiet today, was happily munching grass in the garden but now she is just sitting in her run lookin bit miserable. I'm not sure if it is the hot weather, her getting old (she is 6) or her feeling under the weather.

I've attached some pics of her, does she look ill to you, or just getting bit old? I'm so paranoid I've been checking her all day!!

DSCF1034.jpg

DSCF1030.jpg

DSCF1022.jpg

Also, when she licks her fur, it goes sticky and separates. Anybody else experienced this or know if I could do anything to help?

Thanks

Nicola

OFF day signs

Having lost my bun yesterday I would say that a clear sign that something is wrong is their eyes are they bright and focused or dull and far away looking. Have you checked that she is drinking, is she taking any food? As was advised to me, you know her the best and if you think there is something not right get the vet involved.

Good luck and best wishes
Tina

Thanks Tina, she looks a little quiet, but the weather has been very hot today. She had a nice run this morning and was munching on grass merrily. She is eating fine and drinking.

I will see how she is tomorrow and get her to the vets if I still feel she isn't quite right. Just needed some reassurance from other bunny mums and dads.

I have just read about Jack, I'm so sorry for your loss, it's always so very hard. Thank you for your kind wishes even though you are feeling so sad for your boy.

Nicola

I would pop her along to the vets to ease your mind. Her eyes do look a little dull but that could be with the camera. I can tell she is moulting like mad and that really does take it out of them - a lot of people think it's just a moult but it takes a lot of their energy and upsets their wellbeing.
A course of probiotics wouldn't go amiss as this will help her general health - I don't know what herbal medicines would help as I am not very good in that department :roll:
The heat does take it out of them as well - a nice cool shaded place for her to curl up in would also help her.
Hope everything is fine with her - she's a beautiful bun :D

Thanku Jay - I was going to pop some probiotics into her food tonight anyway, shall I do this for a week or so, or until I feel she is back to normal?

Her eyes do look a little dull but not too bad, it could be the camera in those pics too. I think I will make an appointment for the vet if she is the same in the morning.

She has been lying in the shade of the trees most of the day and has a sheet covering her run so she is nice and shady. Also gave her a frozen bottle to lay against if she got too hot.

I have been brushing her almost everyday, lots of fluff coming out! Do you think this could be causing the sticky fur, some of it getting stuck on the way out?

I really hope it is just the heat getting her down too. I forgot to mention in my first post that she has a lump in her dewlap which I was going to take her to the vet to check anyway - we saw vet a couple of weeks ago and told to keep an eye, I'm not sure if it is getting bigger, but if it is I'm thinking this may be getting her down as well.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Nicola and Pippa xx

Pippa.jpg

This is a pic of her taken last year, I think she is def looking older and bit different to this, but as Mum said she is getting older!!

She is a Rex, perhaps cross although she has a Rex coat and curly whiskers. I got her from a pet shop so not 100% sure what is in her, but I love her all the same :D

Just been out to check on the buns and Pippa seems to have perked up a bit - she loved the long grass I picked her and is more active now, hoppping up to the wire to greet us. I'm wondering if it was the heat today making her feel sleepy - I will def be keeping a close eye on her though.

Thanks for all the replies, it's great to know I have you guys :) I really needed another bunny-lovers opinion tonight to put my mind at rest.

:D

Nicola

I wish I could help and give you advice but all I can say is that she looks so lovely and poses beautifully for the camera. The experts are all here to help and reassure you. :love:

cheeky has been a bit miserable today ,(he,s over 6 years old) but its been the heat . he,s perked up as its got cooler .

Sorry to hear she is a bit off colour she is a beautiful girl :love: hope she feels better very soon. If in doubt I would take her to the vets.

She def perked up last night as it got cooler, the same today. I think it is the heat, it really doesn't agree with them! I am keeping a close eye on her tho, any change and straight to the vets! She looks better today and is more lively so fingers crossed it is just the heat.

Thanks for your kind wishes.

Nicola

Sorry Nicolar, just got this thread. So glad to hear Pippa has perked up, they are a constant worry arnt they?!!

Jaro was really miserable last night too - he's indoors - and it was really hot.

He's 6 too - so it may be a combination of older age and heat that really gets to them. Jaro isn't well anyway - he's recovering from an inner ear infection, but imporoving everyday until we got hit with the hot weather yesterday (we're in Northern Ireland whcih rarley gets the heat like it is at the moment).

If you think she perks up when its cooler - then the heat is definitely a factor - although this might just be because its exagerating how she feels. She may be under the weather (so to speak) anyway.

Is she pooping / eating / drinking normally ?

Martin

Aww nicloar , im glad Pippa has perked up i have some very grumpy quiet buns just now with the heat but as soon as it gets cool they seem to brighten up XXX Big Hugs XXXX

Kerri - they def are a constant worry!!

Martin - aww your poor bun, recovering from being ill and being hot, not a good combination!! She is eating, drinking and pooping fine, I've been keeping a close eye on that!

Phill - these poor buns don't like the heat at all, mine seem to be coping much better with it today than they did on Sunday. Everybody has shade during the day when I'm at work - I think they just flake out all day!

Pippa seems much better today, she came up to greet me this morning (which she wasn't doing on Sunday) and is now happily running round the garden.

I think it was the heat and perhaps she was feeling a bit under the weather, the heat wouldn't have helped. Still keeping a very close eye on her, but glad to say she looks much better than on Sun. Gave her some probiotics with her munchies for past couple of nights so will continue that for a while (thanks Jaypot :))We need to go to the vets soon anyway to check the lump in her dewlap - will wait til weather cools down as even though I have air con she still roasts when we get to the vets!

Hope all the bunnies are OK - is this weather set to continue? I'm working all week, I bet it rains at the weekend when I'm off!!!

Nicola

Back