• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My New Bunnies

chinakit

Warren Scout
I got 2 bunnies today from the Leigh Animal Shelter near Wigan. I went with a friend who was getting a new puppy after her old dog had died.

Well the shelter had lots of beautiful rabbits in, and I came away with a cream coloured Netherland and a blue English marked dwarf lop (I think), but she has only one lop ear! I have called them Bluebell and Buttercup.

Going to be feeding them on Supa Rabbit Excel.

Buttercup (the Nethie) is small and quite thin and scabby as she had been attacked by other rabbits before going in to the rescue. Any advice on how to fatten her up?

They are both very friendly.

Jane (Chinakit)

hey i did my work experience at the leigh animal sanctuary they wer some real nice rabits ther wen i was workin but they really didnt spend alot of time with them we wer asked 2 just go in n feed and water them moset of the time the bowls wer empty n tipped ova so i always made sure that they wer full and had plenty of water also i used 2 spend time wiv them and hold them as sum wer very nervous. i wud always b in the bunny shed wen i had nothin else 2 do most days tho we was lukin after the dogs and cats. i feel sorry for the poor bunnies bein left all alone.

ur rabbit shud soon fatten up on a diet of pelleted food fresh veg (but check wot they can and cant eat) and plenty of hay.

Hiya! Yes the bunnies at Leigh were all really nice. The people working there seem nice as well. My friend got a puppy also today, and I also got a baby rat.

Yes I will feed my 2 new bunnies well and I am sure they will soon put on weight.

Chinakit

kool they had baby rats ther wer none of those ther wen i worked ther just the odd budgie n cockatiel the rest wer cats, dogs, rabbits and guinea pigs

Someone just brought the baby rat in today while I was there, and I took him straight away. There are also 2 gerbils there, I might go back and get them too :lol:

Chinakit

What were they eating in the the shelter? Did they give you some so you can swap the bunnies over to Excel slowly or were they on Excel? A change of environment and diet can seriously stress a new bunny and they may stop eating.

Make sure you find a supplier of good quality hay then use that as your main food source supplemented with a small volume of pellets once a day and fresh fruit and veg. If they haven't had certain vegies before give them a little bit till you are sure they are fine with it, bunnies have very delicate constitutions ;) !

Were they vaccinated and neutered?

Good luck!!

Caz

Hi Caz

I did get some of the food they were on at the rescue centre, it looks just like a basic rabbit mix .... yes I am weaning them on to Excel gradually. I will mix a little more of the Excel into their former food each day over the next 10 days or so.

I gave them a little carrot last night, which they enjoyed and they are both happy and well this morning. I do get good quality hay, as I already have guinea pigs (used to breed and show them).

I have also run a small pet rescue in the past, so know about rabbit care, but posted here just for up to date advice!

They are not neutered or vaccinated. How long should I give them to settle in, before I take them for their jabs / book them in for neutering? By the way I am a little concerned about the spaying, because of the anaesthetic. Do they recover quickly from this? I've had male bunnies neutered before but never females. The spaying op is much bigger than the castration one .... can anyone on here put my mind at rest regarding getting this done???

I am a worryer about things like this .... it took me months to build up the courage to take my little dog in to be spayed, and she was just fine, but I worried like mad until she was back home.

Also does anyone recommend microchipping for rabbits? Just wondered, in case they get stolen or something!

Thanks for everyone's help, especially you Caz!

Jane
Chinakit

Back