• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD vaccs

nicolar

Mama Doe
Hi

After what poor Phill is going through I was thinking about my buns. Only one is VHD vaccinated, was going to get them all done in August but rethinking this (i.e. sooner!!). Pippa is 6 years old and has never had a VHD vacc, do you think that she will be OK, will she suffer any side effects because of her age and not having been vaccinated against it before? I know that some people's buns have had a limp after the vacc, are there are other side effects?

Thanks

Nicola

All five of mine had their VHD jabs with no side effects at all, not even the limp.

If you are at all concerned about your older bun I would discuss it with your vet.

Nicolar Please please please havethem done. You may get a little lump or scar where they had the vaccine done or a poss limp but i don't think there is anything else XXX

I have all the buns vaccinated against VHD - the oldest we have at the moment is eleven and a half - but Mr Jingles was nearly fifteen and there have never been any ill effects due to age.
I would get them done - it's really not worth the worry - it is the most frustrating and frightening disease that you can come across with buns :(

We have lots of elderly buns and they all get their vaccs - even little Scoot who is so disabled - he gets all his.

Excellent, thanks for your advice. Was just bit worried bout Pippa but I'm sure there is nothing to worry about :) Princess didn't have any side effects when she had hers done - actually none at the rescue ever have!

Ta for all the info, I'll be getting them done next week, my next day off is next Thur. I was thinking of having them done sooner even before reading this because I walk in fields which have bunnies in - they have myxi, and was worried I may bring something home with me.

Nicola

VHD is spread from bun to bun by airborne droplets (like the common cold) but it can also be spread indirectly by birds, rodents, insects (from spring and all through summer is when you have most insects) and also by humans and clothes.

I wouldn't wait until August, I'd get it done straight away and would not approach them in the same clothes, shoes you walked through the field in.

My bun DID get a funny leg after his vac, it scared us to death!! His left front paw was all floppy and bent over, like he'd broken it, he saw the vet the day after the jab and they gave him a pain killer shot and said it was a reaction. It only lasted 24 hours though, the risks of them getting VHD are much worse than a sore paw for a day :wink:

I would have to check my old posts as I'm sure it was dear old Molly (11 years old) who was offish for a few days after the VHD jab but I nursed her through that and would rather do that than expose her to this horrible disease.

Yep won't wait til August, will get it done in next couple of weeks when I have a day off work. Always change clothes, shoes, wash hands etc when I get in from work too.

Ah bless Molly, must be a shock to the system when you are 11 years old! Pippa is only 6, so a youngster compared to Molly :)

Viral Haemorrhagic Disease.

It's caused by a calici virus and once infected causes haemorrhages (bleeding) in internal organs (lungs and kidneys in particular) ....... not a nice way to go.

An infected rabbit will show breathing difficulties, spasms, fever, bloody nasal and eye discharges in some cases. But in most cases the first symptom to us is death, which is what makes it so worrying.

There is no cure, just the vaccine. (It costs around £10).

Infected rabbits can survive (probably how they worked out the symptoms!) but some can develop other health problems (snuffles, diarrhoea, anorexia).

http://www.vet2pet.co.uk/rabbitwelfare/understandingmyxomatosis.html If you have a read of this information it will give you details about Myxomatosis which is far more of a problem than VHD. As a rescue we try to get all of our rabbits vaccinated against both of these as soon after arrival with us as possible and do advocate that all rabbits should be vaccinated against these by people who adopt rabbits from us in the future.

18 months ago one of our foster homes which is not far from Bushey Park had just taken in a large group of unvaccinated rabbits which were all affected by Myxi just days after arrival before we could get them vaccinated :( We normally try to leave animals a few days after arrival before they are vaccinated to reduce the problems associated with stress that they can suffer. We now try to bring in new animals to a foster home where they are in theory less likely to be myxi in the area and have an advance warning system with local vets. If myxie is in the area we do not wait the two weeks we normally try to wait before vaccinating.

I cannot stress how important it is to vaccinate against myxi, Karen one of our fosterers would not want to go through that again.

Janice

Conny you are lucky - £10?!! My vet charges £18.50 per jab, although I got VHD free as I had to wait in the surgery an hour and a half that day :roll:

You should have Myxi done first, then VHD two weeks later.

Yep, only £10, I was surprised too!!!!

It was £15 for the myxi though and because I'm in a high risk area they'll have to be done twice a year!

even £18 is cheap :shock:

Its £22 per jab at my vets or £36 if you state upfront that you will be having both and pay in advance.

I have both jabs for all 4 of my buns, and the new bun will be having his myxi jab before we collect him then 2 weeks later we will be having his VHD done. :D

I woldnt want to risk them catching a preventable disease, I would feel too guilty if something happened and i didnt vaccinate them :shock: :(

well my other vets, where i currently take my dog, they quoted me £35 per jab, per bun :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thats £70 per bunny x 5 =£350 :shock: :shock:

OMG Phill thats £480

but then if it was my buns vet it would be £880, or £1400 if it was my dogs vet :shock: :shock: :shock:

Back