• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hugs has snuffles - Update

Ok have just given Huggs his Baytril and the whole time I was in there Bunnie was sneezing so it looks as though the Snuffles has travelled!

It's throwing it down with rain here, should I keep them in their shed tonight as they have this silly habit of sitting out in the rain and I don't want them getting any worse than they are.......

Thankgod I have next week off so I can keep an eye on my babies.

I highly recommend putting Echinacea tincture in his water. It’s a great herb for boosting the immune system. May be worth putting it in your other Rabbits water as a precaution.

I buy all my tinctures from here as they are organic and a very well known company:

http://www.bioforce.co.uk/

Sorry to hear he's not feeling well.

Louise

Poor Hugs, hopefully he'll be feeling better soon.

I think it is supposed to be contageous, but Fern had snuffles and still shared a cage with Charlie, he never caught anything from her so fingers crossed. Definitely give them all probiotics.

Aww shell Mark and Hugs XXXXXXXX Lilly has snuffles but not badly we just have to monitor her she lives with three other buns and has done for about a year (snuffles started about 6 months ago) and none of the other buns have any symptoms! You will just need to keep a close eye on them all and as ellepotter suggested use some herbal treatments in there water :D Lots of Hugs XXX

Snuffles is very contagious (sp?) and is air-born and can be blown to different areas. It can also be carried on clothing. You will have to change clothes and wash before you see your un-affected buns, and keep them as far away as possible from each other. Sometimes it is unavoidable for them to catch it.

Rachel

Ok have just given Huggs his Baytril and the whole time I was in there Bunnie was sneezing so it looks as though the Snuffles has travelled!

It's throwing it down with rain here, should I keep them in their shed tonight as they have this silly habit of sitting out in the rain and I don't want them getting any worse than they are.......

(Mucked up the editing of this an ickle bit, apologies.... :oops: )

Mark said:

(Mucked up the editing of this an ickle bit, apologies.... :oops: )

i have no experience with snuffles but do remember lizzie buns have snuffles and they are now house rabbits but snuffles is contagious so you need to be very stringant and keep everything separate from the other buns i think!

sorry not much help but maybe pm lizzie she would know what to do or holly go lighty andrea has also buns with snuffles!

sorry to hear that huggs has it, wish him better!

eve x

I would keep them out of the rain if possible, especially at night. My Merlin has chronic snuffles and it got really bad last summer after he stayed out in a heavy shower. He was already a house rabbit but had access to the garden (the back door was open when he got himself soaked :roll: ) Now he is a house rabbit without access to the garden.

His previous girlie never got any symptoms of snuffles, so it doesn't always infect a partner, but when another of mine came down with it I put them together as I am trying to contain it as much as possible.

Poor little hugs! Why do rabbits always sit in the rain when there is somewhere under shelter for them to go?

Damp and cold can go for snufflers. Its kind of like asthma that way. Maybe we need a list of folk with snuffles experience? I know Rabshan has lots of experience with snuffly buns. Lolls and Soots are both snufflers

Back