• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded rabbits now fighting

Fudge

New Kit
Hi Ladies,

not sure if you will remember but around easter i took a brother and sister rabbit home from Sues Sanctuary.

Everything has been great and there now settled in.

but recently I moved them to a bedroom (now there house trained :D )from there house cage so they could exercise when im out etc

but on two occasions now I think they have been fighting? they chase each other around and jump around, little bits of fur have come off but ive not seen really agressive behaviour but its different from when they play.

they have been living together since birth in there own cage and now my house and have been fine, is there any reason they may have started fighting and is it usual for rabbits to de-bond?

little worried while im at work they may hurt each other

any advice on this would be greatly appreciated

thanks

D

Are both neutered? What age are they? I'm not sure if they would de-bond, sorry. I'm sure someone with more eperience will come along shortly.

Hi joob thanks for the reply,

yes they are both neutered and about 8 or 9 months old, not sure exactly as they were born under a shed in a burrow the mum had dug and taken into care weeks later, but thats the best guess the vet could give me

there now both layed together on the bed :roll:

Fudge said:
Hi joob thanks for the reply,

yes they are both neutered and about 8 or 9 months old, not sure exactly as they were born under a shed in a burrow the mum had dug and taken into care weeks later, but thats the best guess the vet could give me

there now both layed together on the bed :roll:

maybe because you have changed there accomm they are trying to resetablish who is boss again i am sure it will sort itself out again in time

My Zeus and Athena went through that when I got Violet and Cosmos; a change of environment or new additions to the family often means the bunnys need to re-establish who is boss and what territory they hold etc.

It took mine a week to two to calm down after they met the new rabbits so I expect that yours should calm down pretty quickly if it is just an unfamiliar place.

Caz

Hope youre right Caz, its definately fighting they were at it again tonight, i put my hand down to split them up just as one was biting the other as she bit my hand and drew blood!

just a little worried they may hurt each other while im at work, should I leave them alone in same room while at work?

will splitting them up make things worse?

Is it proper fighting i.e. are they going for the throat and trying to kick with the back legs at the same time or is it more mounting and fur pulling?

If it is just fur pulling they should work it out but if it is serious fighting you may need to put a temporary divider in.

Caz

its more jumping around together and fur pulling caz, not seen any really vicious behaviour

got home from work today and cant see any furballs so no fight today, and they are laid on the bed together again so hopefully all will be well *hopes*

Back