• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What are the rules and regs for starting a rescue/sanctury?

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Hi guys,

im just wondering if anyone can piont me in the direction of any websites or books about starting a rescue!? Me and my mum were discussing this the other evening and i thought i would have a look into it. I have had a look at old posts but no websites attached to them.

im not saying im staring one just want to read into it first.

Thanks Guys!!!

Phillipa

I would be interested in this too as me and hubby keep talking about it for the future, so would be interesting to know whats involved.
:D

Lots and lots of things to consider. Firstly FUND RAISE!! you need a nice pot of money behind you before you even start. Vet bills can cripple you in weeks.
Funnily enough, at the moment, there aren't really any rules as to the conditions that you keep the animals in.
This would be a very long post if I was to mention everything you need to consider and I'm sure that everyone else will have their ideas for you so...over to you guys!

Wow good luck if you decide to do it Phill lets face it between you and your mum you have lots of experience :D

My Daughters dream is to run a rabbit rescue but she is only 10 at the moment, though she has already started rabbit awareness campaigns at school and raised funds for the RSPCA :D

There’s some good information here:

http://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/startingrescue.asp

You would probably have to contact your local council, environmental health and planning permission department (if you where going to put sheds up etc) to let them know what you are planning..

May be an idea to speak with your neighbours to see what they think of the idea. Might save you problems in the future if you have talked to them before you start.

You would need Public Liability insurance if you where going to have members of the public on your property.

You need to have permission from you landlord if you don’t own your own home.

From the people I have spoken to who run rescues the thing they always say is you need to work out how many animals you can comfortably take at any one time (accommodation wise and financially) and stick to it.

I’m sure if you do a search on RU you will find old posts about this.

Good luck!!! :D

Louise

Hi Louise thanks for that :D It's my mum house and she owns it so no probs there. as i said im just reading into it at the mo so all info welcome!

Hi Donna, yes fundraising is going to be the biggest issue! i Have just been to the vets and paid my bill for the last 6 weeks £ 475.00!! But that was vaccines for everything including the dogs and the cat 2 spats and a few other bits and peices. They are giving me a quote at the mo for 6 spays!!!! :shock: :shock: and see what they can do for me, i would speak to my vet re fundraising as well and see if i could get a discount???

I know some Vets let you set up an account, which you pay off monthly etc. That may be something to think about if you start a rescue as it would help with any big bills.

Louise

I already have an account at the vets, i jus like to know how much im speanding so i ask them for a bil!!! :shock: A discount would be a very big help were i to do it. But need lots more reading first!!!!

thanks Guys

Very interesting thing that Mr T wrote in the link suggested by Janice. He said about sticking to what you can cope with and that some rescues actually become the problem.
This is very true - I have helped out a 'rescue' that got out of hand. The lady had floor to ceiling hutches in her house. The filth and stink were unbelievable - she just couldn't say no and kept taking in. She couldn't afford to take anything to the vets either.Slowly we took almost everything from her and she learned to pass our number on instead of taking in herself.
We have just taken in some rabbits from another rescue that has recently closed down. Everyone of the females is pregnant! How could this place be called a rescue?
Not that I'm suggesting for one moment that you would get into this situation, Phill!!! I'm not, I'm just saying it happens. x

I have been waying up numbers everyone help and links are great just what i was after, I could finacialy take in about 7-10 buns but no more.

eve, my vet is currently doing me a price for 6 spays! Woo Hoo!!!!!

Back