• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Choosing a new bun at the rescue!

Melon_Pip

Young Bun
I have an almost 4 year old male bun, who is missing his little pal who died a week ago. Both were boys. Surviving bun Mel was the dominant one. I would describe him as bossy but loving, and inquisitive. He is very subdued since losing little Pip. Bonding them took a while as Pip just wasn't interested in Mel, whereas Mel showed some dominant behaviours but eventually was the first to groom (before demanding it back, of course!) Pip was just a chilled out little thing, and when I attempted to bond a trio he went straight over and groomed third bun (Mel wasn't having it though!). So I'm thinking maybe the bond worked because of Pip being so chilled and letting Mel be boss...

Today I went to the animal rescue to find him a friend. There were only 8 bunnies there as it is mainly a cat and dog shelter. The rabbits were numbered, mainly between 35-45, except two who were numbered 1 and 2! Being me, I naturally wanted to take one of these two who had been there so long!

Now my heart and head are at war, I think!

First thing: One of the two just hid and doesn't want to interact with humans at all. I want to set her up a pen in my living room and be with her (work from home) to see if I can get her used to people. I am thinking of asking the rescue of they would foster out for this reason. Obviously it's too long and unpredictable a process to think of bonding her with Mel as he needs a friend soon. Thoughts on fostering welcome though. Unfortunately I live too far from the rescue to be able to just pop in.

Second thing: I'm passed the tests and can basically go and pick up a rabbit next week. It was going to be Thelma, the other bun who has been at the rescue ages. This is where the heart vs head thing comes in. Thelma is bigger than Mel (I thought he was a thumper at 2.5 kg, she's a head longer than him! His previous buddy Pip was 1.5kg) After about 20 seconds in her pen, she lay down to show me who's boss, and graciously allowed me to stroke her. My head is saying this will be a war for dominance! Especially as they mentioned there'd been an issue with fighting between Thelma and the bun housed next to her at one stage (ages ago)... however this was another female and it's unclear whether this other rabbit was neutered. No attempts at bonding her afaik.

I am also wondering about her size, in general. I don't think space is an issue in the long run, although I need to re-think the temporary housing if I do get Thelma - the temporary set up I have is too small for a rabbit although ok for very short term - but not a big rabbit like her!
And I'm wondering in general if there's anything else I need to consider with a bigger rabbit?

It's kind of looking like a really bad idea, now I've typed all that out. There are three more females all slightly smaller than Mel to choose from. One's a little black one who would be last to be picked by others I guess. I didn't interact with them really (one came for a sniff, the other were in the further pens so I couldn't go near without going in) but obviously I would before choosing. My head is saying one of these little girls would be a better match than thumper Thelma but my heart wants to give her a chance!

ETA: The arrangement is if I can't bond them, I can take the bun back and try with another. But would rather avoid this scenario.

I have an almost 4 year old male bun, who is missing his little pal who died a week ago. Both were boys. Surviving bun Mel was the dominant one. I would describe him as bossy but loving, and inquisitive. He is very subdued since losing little Pip. Bonding them took a while as Pip just wasn't interested in Mel, whereas Mel showed some dominant behaviours but eventually was the first to groom (before demanding it back, of course!) Pip was just a chilled out little thing, and when I attempted to bond a trio he went straight over and groomed third bun (Mel wasn't having it though!). So I'm thinking maybe the bond worked because of Pip being so chilled and letting Mel be boss...

Today I went to the animal rescue to find him a friend. There were only 8 bunnies there as it is mainly a cat and dog shelter. The rabbits were numbered, mainly between 35-45, except two who were numbered 1 and 2! Being me, I naturally wanted to take one of these two who had been there so long!

Now my heart and head are at war, I think!

First thing: One of the two just hid and doesn't want to interact with humans at all. I want to set her up a pen in my living room and be with her (work from home) to see if I can get her used to people. I am thinking of asking the rescue of they would foster out for this reason. Obviously it's too long and unpredictable a process to think of bonding her with Mel as he needs a friend soon. Thoughts on fostering welcome though. Unfortunately I live too far from the rescue to be able to just pop in.

Second thing: I'm passed the tests and can basically go and pick up a rabbit next week. It was going to be Thelma, the other bun who has been at the rescue ages. This is where the heart vs head thing comes in. Thelma is bigger than Mel (I thought he was a thumper at 2.5 kg, she's a head longer than him! His previous buddy Pip was 1.5kg) After about 20 seconds in her pen, she lay down to show me who's boss, and graciously allowed me to stroke her. My head is saying this will be a war for dominance! Especially as they mentioned there'd been an issue with fighting between Thelma and the bun housed next to her at one stage (ages ago)... however this was another female and it's unclear whether this other rabbit was neutered. No attempts at bonding her afaik.

I am also wondering about her size, in general. I don't think space is an issue in the long run, although I need to re-think the temporary housing if I do get Thelma - the temporary set up I have is too small for a rabbit although ok for very short term - but not a big rabbit like her!
And I'm wondering in general if there's anything else I need to consider with a bigger rabbit?

It's kind of looking like a really bad idea, now I've typed all that out. There are three more females all slightly smaller than Mel to choose from. One's a little black one who would be last to be picked by others I guess. I didn't interact with them really (one came for a sniff, the other were in the further pens so I couldn't go near without going in) but obviously I would before choosing. My head is saying one of these little girls would be a better match than thumper Thelma but my heart wants to give her a chance!

ETA: The arrangement is if I can't bond them, I can take the bun back and try with another. But would rather avoid this scenario.

Hi there :)

So sorry you lost Pip. It's distressing for us and the one left behind, but it's great you're thinking of adopting a friend.

I think you've almost talked yourself out of taking Thelma, though her size wouldn't bother me (if I had the space at home) or the fact that she objected to a female next door.

For myself, I always take the one that others wouldn't, even if this means I get less cuddles or even if the rabbit growls and is aggressive. None of that matters to me as much as a match for an existing bunny.

That said, I wouldn't worry about having to take one back, even though the rescue is not on your doorstep. If Thelma beckons, then why not? Presumably you'd try and bond them soon and you'd know in 2/3 days how this was panning out.

I have to say I always go with my heart. That way I have no regrets about feeling I should've done something different.

Good luck xx

She's here!!
Turns out she has been at the rescue by far the longest - although she was labelled "2" and there was another bunny labelled "1", she's actually number 2 of the previous "batch" and has been there 9 months longer than the next longest resident! They had renamed her "Sparkle" in the last few days in the hope that it would help her find a home. Lots of staff came to say goodbye to her, and were really happy to see her rehomed. :)

I'm sticking with Thelma as her proper name but nicknamed her "Tilly". She weighs 4.5 kg! She seems huge! (Mel, her husbun-to-be, is 2.6kg, and little Pip we lost was 1.5kg!)

Bonding soon... eek!

Back