• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help i need advice..

Mizzmarni

Young Bun
What do you put in your bunny's hutch for bedding and absorbency?

I use newspaper and straw is this right?

I would love to hear what everyone uses....

Thanks

Mizzmarni
XXXXXXXXXX

I use carefresh, it is extremely absorbant, enviromentally friendly, dust free, non toxic, easy to clean, eliminates odours etc . newspaper if eaten is bad b/c the ink is toxic! :shock:
Oh and I don't use straw (I find it too spikey) I use fresh hay! :D

I use wood based cat litter in a litter tray

Oh and far as i heard the ink they use in newspaper is no longer toxic :wink:

i use wood shavings (not sawdust) as its is a good adsorbant and cheap and then u could place straw on top to make it exta comfy. i think straw is better than hay for bedding as it keeps dry for longer where hay get wetter quick as its not a good absorbant and the rabbits will tend to eat it lol but should give them hay to eat anyway
becky

the best

i use wood shavimgs and straw but if i dont have any wood shavings i use newspaper. i think these are the best things to use. :shock:

I use a wood pellet litter for Darcy's litter tray. Its the best I've used as it really does absorb the wee and defuse the pong which is soooo useful for an indoor bunny!! :wink: xxxxxxxxxxx

Newspaper is on the whole fine, a lot of the ink used now is soy based, I use newspaper to line dog crates and litter trays, the litter trays having a layer of chopped, dust extracted straw on top. This works really well for me, I have two very reliably house-trained houserabbits, one of whom is only 11 weeks old.
I used to use newspaper to line the cages when I kept African Grey and Amazon parrots and never had any worries about my ( very valuable ) birds being harmed by the ink, even when they used to tear the paper to shreds.

I use lots of shredded paper/newspaper.

I wouldn't use straw as its quite sharp and can easily poke a Rabbit in the eye. It’s also terrible for getting wrapped round there legs etc. Hay is the best alternative to straw.

Louise

My bunny's cage is now lined with half vet bed, and half wood shavings with wood pellets in his litter tray, he seems to like it!! :D :D

Back