• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

scent glands

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
I know bucks have scent glands near their boy bits which usually stink! But do females have them?? I just cleaned Nala's bottom and found these little 'pockets' at the sides of her bits which were full of white stuff :shock: I presume these are just her scent glands but just wanted to be sure.. they were pretty pungeant (sp?)

Diddeen said:
I know bucks have scent glands near their boy bits which usually stink! But do females have them?? I just cleaned Nala's bottom and found these little 'pockets' at the sides of her bits which were full of white stuff :shock: I presume these are just her scent glands but just wanted to be sure.. they were pretty pungeant (sp?)

I wouldnt know, I didnt even know the males had scent glands until that topic was brought up a few days ago!! (made me laugh!! :lol: )

aaah thats ok then thanks.
Simba's are usually full of crumbly orangey/brown stuff but hers were full of white so thought i best check.. should smell a bit sweeter now anyways.. those baby wipes came in very handy :wink:

I think it was me that had the crisis with the scent glands a few posts ago! :shock:

I didnt kno they existed , found them, rushed Tyke to the vets thinking his skin was deformed :roll: :shock:

Im a wee bit silly sometimes! :?

Can I ask you good folks - Are scent glands something you should regularly clean or only if there is a smell problem.

I've never had any smell probs from any of my bunsters (touch wood!!) so have not had any reason to think of this - or do bunnies norm keep this area clean themselves??

I don't know about girl's glands as I have never looked at my girls'. I only cleaned Zeus' once after he had his infection from the neuter because I found it by accident more than anything and thought I was cleaning the wound area ( :oops: ). I haven't been brave enough to check the area since (the smell) so I am hoping he is doing the job himself.

Caz

Caz said:
I don't know about girl's glands as I have never looked at my girls'. I only cleaned Zeus' once after he had his infection from the neuter because I found it by accident more than anything and thought I was cleaning the wound area ( :oops: ). I haven't been brave enough to check the area since (the smell) so I am hoping he is doing the job himself.

Caz

:lol: :lol: Cheers Caz - playing Thread Ping Pong here gal!! - Yep I think your prob right - I guess if your checking your bunster on a regular basis to see if botts are clean and healthy if there is a strong smell coming from there delicate bits, this would tell you a clean out is on the cards - so I guess I'll just keep my eyes and nose :shock: peeled when checking them. :lol: :lol: - Won't that be good fun eh :roll:

Em well I rarely ever clean my boys or girls bits, Im not overly convinced there is a need to do it.
I think this is how they work, when a male wants to let off his scent he pulls his tail right up which pulls the skin apart and thats generally when you will smell it. Girlies never seem that interested in letting their smell waft about thankfully :lol: although young hormonal Amber's do, she is a bi*ch from h*ll just now and mad with hormones and always pulls her tail right up so everyone can see her bits, I tell you these young uns now a days' no self respect the dirty little moo she is :lol:

Angela

Yeah i think normally they clean their own scent glands out Lany. I cleaned simba's once after being told to when he was a baby but i was nearly knocked out so have never been near them since... apart from when he's humping something :roll: I dont generally smell his whiffy glands. I just was having a good clean of Nala's bottom and found the pockets of stinky white stuff so thought i best clean them.. she doesnt wash her own bottom it seems so i doubt she can reach these either.. but ooo the smell :oops:

Back