• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

The weather

Londonsandy

Young Bun
Hi all

I am concerned about my buns in this cold weather, they live outside all the time (coming in frequently for a run and a cuddle), but I still worry. I have put lots of hay in their bedrooms, and when I look outside they still seem to be happy in the open meshed area.

I know they have fur coats, but I really don't have space to bring all four indoors.

Do you bunny people do anything special for them at this time of year? I was thinking about getting some cheap/old blankets to throw over their cages, but worry about them getting chewed.

Also, do you think it matters if they come inside for an hour or two and then go back outside?

Thanks on this one

Sandy

When i had an outside rabbit i used to get some thick plastic sheeting stuff and lay that over the front of the hutch.. holding it on with bricks, just to keep the wind out.

Hiya

I always worry bout my bunnies, but then I remember that they are desgned for living outdoors!! Mine are still rather spoilt tho and my older bun has a Snugglesafe which she loves. I make sure that they have lots of straw and hay to snuggle in, and also give them a cardboard box full of straw + hay. Over the outside of the hutch I have a clear plastic cover to keep rain out during the day and at night I have some thick blankets to put over their hutches to keep wind out. Rabbits cope very well with cold but not with damp conditions. Amy my youngest loves to sit out in the snow and will be out in her run whatever the weather!

Mine come indoors for a cuddle, tho I try not to make it too warm inside, they are then quite happy to go outside again tho.

As long as they can snuggle into straw and hay they will be fine :)

Nicola

Its a heatpad - you heat it up in the microwave and its like a hot water bottle for bunnies for about 8 hours. Have them for mine but they're not bothered about them....

My hutches are covered on the outside with bubblewrap and then extra roofing felt on the top. Also I've got a double layer of garden fleece with a blanket sandwiched in between which covers the front at night and when it rains/ snows. Lots of hay and straw which they do snuggle into.

Thanks for that, they seem ok this morning, but I was worried.

4photobucket.jpg

Sandy

Glad they are ok, they are pretty hardy :) My buns love their Snugglesafes but obv some buns just prefer to keep warm themselves! Personally I'm very glad I invested in them as it makes me feel better that they have somewhere warm to go to if they want to!! :D

Back