• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sticky Bum

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Hi

Have not got a lot of time today as I'm off work for the next two days, but my new bun as got quite a bad sticky bum, she is quite over weight and has quite a big dewlap and I am thinking this might not help the problem as she can't reach her bum properly. I am planning on taking her off dried food after her op (tomorrow), but didn't want to disrupt her diet yet as she has had the strain of moving house and will have the op, so it's all scarey for her at the minute. I have ordered some rear guard, but could do with some tips please?

Also She is quite smelly, I only have notice this, becuasee I am keeping them closed in a spare bedroom for now, the smell was quite strong in there last night. I am planning to bath her tonight, I have some bunny shampoo, am I alright to put her in the bath?

we used to bath my bunnies when i was younger, two of them werent keen and it took two of us to do it - i suggest you have someone to help and you arent too worried about getting soaked through :D :lol:

I wouldn't worry to much about shampoo a good old soak is usually good enough. You only need an inch or two of water. Keep a hand over her hips so she can't kick out backwards and you'll get less soggy ;)

A mostly hay diet would definately be a good idea as she loses weight she will hopefully keep herself clean better. I'd wait til a couple of days after the op to make changes as sometimes they can be reluctant to eat after an op so you need to tempt them.

Is she spayed? The reason I mention this is Athena's large dewlap seemed to dissapear after her spay although this could also be because she came to live with me at the same time and got a better diet and more exercise!

Violet has slimmed down too since being with me (apparently her previous hutch was no bigger than a shoebox and she got little exercise) - I am sure once your bun has been with you a few months she will start to slim down and that will help.

Then as Adele always says - hay, hay, water and more hay cures sticky bums!!

Caz

She has not been spayed yet, she is going in tomorrow. Debbie had also said that she only gets a sticky bum after eating dried food, so i think she is going to be a veggie and hay girl.

I used to have to bathe Brody regularly because of her sticky bum before she converted to the mainly hay diet. You don't need much water in the bath but make sure you dry her well.

Groovychick1804 said:
totti looks exactly the same as my rabbit, ALWAYS EATING PLANTS!!! I often see him sitting in my mums pots nibbling away!!!
He's banned from that now just in case it was nibbling something naughty thats given both of them the recent tummy probs.

The smell and the dewlap will likely go away after the spey. Intact female buns have a distinctive pong, mainly from their wee I think, but with a sticky bum that would hang around her rather. And the dewlap is a hormonal thing too. It takes a while, but they do go. Izzy's is only a fraction of the size it was when she was speyed in September, and she hasn't lost weight.

I think most buns lose weight after a spey as they don't feel like eating much - give lots of tempting treats to counter this, carrot tops, parsley and coriander are all post op treats that have worked for mine, as you know something HAS to go in. Don't cut out dry food until she is scoffing again.

Most dirty bums go away once the rab can reach to clean themselves. In the mean time baby wipes could be very useful.

Ben has a very furry behind ! But that means he finds it hard to clean round there (esp in winter with lots of fur), so I take my old hair clippers to the fur round the bum and thin it out a bit to make it easier for him to get to the areas he has trouble with. I think you can get special scissors in pets at home that would do the job (rounded end, so you don't cut bunny - or yourself if your bun wriggles).

Hiya thanks for all the help,

The sticky bum was quite bad, but I have taken her off dried food and veg (I will introduce the veg at a later date). The vet shaved around that area and her genitals, as it was quite sore and swollen and I am washing the area twice daily with a steroid solution followed by ointment given to me by the vet. The diarrhoea has stop now, as she had an injection to help with this. The whole area is starting to look normal and the smell has almost gone.

A lot of it has to do with her being big, she was weighed in at 4kg, so she can not have a wash properly and the vet said she was having difficulty breathing.

Bless you, you have my sympathy as I know only too well how foul smelling it is... and they sit there looking so cute :wink:

luvabun said:
Bless you, you have my sympathy as I know only too well how foul smelling it is... and they sit there looking so cute :wink:

It is strong isn't it? I have these buns in quarantine at the minute, when I opened the door the other night and breathed in I nearly passed out. Oh well it's loads better now, it's not what I call normal bunny smell but it's getting better.

Well done, it sounds like your doing a great job of getting on top of it :D Is she a large bun to start with of just very over weight? If her friend is the same size but less podgy then that might give you a good idea of what weight she should be.

Toys are a good way to help them exercise more. You could try putting her hay on something or hanging it in something so she has to stretch more.

Tam

Tamsin said:
Well done, it sounds like your doing a great job of getting on top of it :D Is she a large bun to start with of just very over weight? If her friend is the same size but less podgy then that might give you a good idea of what weight she should be.

Toys are a good way to help them exercise more. You could try putting her hay on something or hanging it in something so she has to stretch more.

Tam

I think her sister is about 2.5kg, I know the vet said her sis was normal, they are quite big buns, but she is very fat.

She sometimes pants instead of breathing and you can actually hear her, it's like she panting from her mouth. I have put a few toys in, but it's just encouraging her to move, which is the trouble.

I need her mites to clear up so she can have more of a run of the house, my bunnies seem to love the stairs and it would be great to get her on them. However I don't think she could get up and down them at the minute without having a heart attack. I can't remember if I mentioned this already, but the vet wouldn't neuter her, she said there is no way she would survive the op, her sis was done and is now receovering, but I can't get her done until she is thinner.

Back