• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Petplan- insurance

Would you recomend petplan insurance

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dasonix

Mama Doe
As part of our quest to collect accurate information on rabbit related issues for our website, we are thinking of asking petplan if we can recomend them on our site.

We have had very good service from them so far, but we want to get an idea for the service that others have had from them and if YOU would recommend them to others

I have voted yes as I like to have the peace of mind that if anything does go wrong I will always be able to afford through insurance (plus my own money) anything that Darcy needs. They offer a continuous cover so any previous illnesses are still covered.

I have to admit though that I have never actually needed to use it so far (touch wood!) so can't say what they are like in paying out to cover serious treatment.

Romy xxxxxxxxxxx

Not sure how relevant this is but there have been changes to recent legislation that covers the recommendation of insurance products. My understanding is that you have to be regulated by the FSA in order to be able to make recommendations.

It's possible that no-one will really care if rescue centres do do this, but the changes have been enough to force our local rescue centre to stop offering the free 6 week insurance Petplan give as it constitutes recommending an insurer.

I might be able to dig a bit more into this if you'd like me to.

Russ

P.S. Our experience of PetPlan isn't very good! But the reason is pretty specific to us rather than them being generally good/bad, and I wouldn't want my experience to put others off thinking about insurance as I think it's a very important issue to consider. Vet bills have cost us £300 in the 8 weeks we've had our buns (and these buns had had no health problems prior to coming to us :oops: ).

just to clarify things.

All we want to do is ask them permission to have a banner for petplan on our site, we are still in the early stages of this idea that why I thought it best to ask.

Thank you for the heads up Russ, if this does become a issue at least im aware of it now :)

I am with Petplan although I am a bit annoyed that I felt a bit mis-guided when I applied on line.

I wanted to insure each bunny and when it said "petshare" I assumed this meant if you have one or more pets so I clicked on this and started my policy.

Well ... Billy was ill around Christmas and I had quite a high bill to pay and I thought "thats good I will just have to pay the excess" but little did I know that Petshare meant I had to pay the excess AND 25% of the remainder of the bill. I have tried to ring them and say I didn't want this policy but I can't change it until the summer when my policy expires.

They say that with Petshare you pay a slightly lower premium - £13.50 per month for the two as opposed to £18 per month for the two (£9 each bunny) so you save but if you claim you have to pay more.

I would rather pay for each pet individually because you don't get much back when you actually claim believe me!

I don't think this was very clear in the policy what petshare actually means and I am annoyed :evil:

When I had to make a claim for Evo, they paid out pretty quickly. I've had more money from them than I've paid them so far. :D

Must put in a claim for all his recent stasis attacks actually. Only bad thing is that they don't cover dental problems in bunnies.

I never had any problem making claims, however Im letting my policies lapse. Mainly due to the number of bodies ! Our premiums were slightly lower than someone earlier on the thread ( geographical no doubt ) but there multi-pet discount is a bit of a joke ! Still if it brings in revenue for your business, very few other companies offer bunny insurance at least the Tesco/Virgin/Sainsburys/More Than etc. With two cats as well we decided just to put money away monthly instead - fingers crossed nothing happens and Im away to find a tree to hug !

i joined pet plan in december but i haven't recieved any paper work from them such as ref number or anything!!! i called them and they had sent my stuff to the wrong address and was going to send it to my address again but i still haven't got anything from them!!!! and they are still taking my money!!! i have cancelled my direct debit till they at least send me anything!!!!

Smirnoff Rabbit has been insured with Pet Plan for over two years now. Luckily we've not had to make a claim, but I had no problems joining up on-line and have my renewals handled really well.

The premiums can be quite high, but i think this is because thet've got quite a niche market at the moment. As soon as other insurers get the idea that rabbit insurance is needed, premiums may get more competitive as more insurance companies offer this vital service for all us rabbit lovers.

It's hard to find insurance for rabbits, so I'd recommend them.

we wouldn't hesitate to recommend them at the moment.

Jaro has run a bill up more than £450 over the last 6 months (x-ray, ultrasound, lots and lots of bloodtest and visits and other nasty things) - with us having only the excess to pay. We would have scrimped around to pay for it anyway somehow - but its the peace of mind that it brings in the middle of worrying about him.

Martin

Back