• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

UPDATE ALEX PTS My 11 year old rabbit diagnosed with spondylitis

bunnylover4

Warren Scout
UPDATE : Alex WAS PTS ON WEDNESDAY. MY HEART IS BROKEN:cry::cry::cry:

Sadly despite physio and new medication Alex didn’t improve she deteriorated rapidly and stopped eating or pooing much. But even when she was sedated in my arms she was still licking me , almost like a thank you . The tears are streaming down my face as I write this. My time as a bunny mummy has come to an end and I feel broken,

Please can someone offer any advice or words of wisdom. Alex is my last remaining bunny and since being on her own she has really been a happier rabbit (she loved but she bullied both her male partners :roll: )
She has been arthritic for a while but the past couple weeks we noticed she was struggling with grooming and keeping herself clean . We have had bunnies before with problems so we were happy to take on the task of cleaning and grooming her. Also she has been on metacam for quite a while now due to the arthritis.
As she is an old lady now my OH had built her a nice igloo with a heater which she can safely snuggle against or away from and put a soft flooring down for her so she is more comfortable in her home which is a large summerhouse.
We bring her indoors in the evening where she snuggles up to me and grooms my face and neck and normally falls asleep. She only does this to me for some reason much to my little girls disappointment lol.
Anyways we have a very rabbit savy vet and today we took her in to be checked as although she was nibbling food she isn’t going out ( she has constant access to outdoor space if she wants it) and no poos.
She gave her a good check over and said she has SPONDYLITIS which inturn could be slowing her gut down due to nerve damage. She advised us (after a recent course she has done ) to up her metacam and also give BUPRECARE 1ml . If we don’t see any improvement then it may be time for her to go over rainbow bridge,:cry::cry: I know the diagnosis is a death sentence I am just wondering what people’s experiences are and whether we are doing the right thing. She is such a loving rabbit I would hate for her to suffer for our comfort if you know what I mean. I can live with a disabled rabbit as long as I know they aren’t suffering . I have no problem with extra care it’s just hard thinking I am going to possibly lose my last girl to this .

Last edited:
I’m so sorry :cry: I don’t have any experience of this but I’m sending lots of vibes xx

She seems happy, so that is a positive. Perhaps adding a motility drug along with pain control could help her gi system. Some pain meds can slow gut motility too.
Others may suggest some physical therapy or accupuncture.
You know your bunny best, so you will know when it is time to say goodbye-hopfully not too soon.

Hello, it’s Jane here. Lovely to hear from you again. So sorry to hear about your old lady. Apologies for my brief response,

1 Try Gabapentin rather than Buprecare, works better on neuropathic pain. Many Rabbit Savvy Vets will prescribe it off licence.

2 Physiotherapy, Acupuncture, Photobiomodulation , massage - see under ‘Arthritis’ on here

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ence-Links-for-Various-Rabbit-Health-Problems

3 Can Bunny become a House Rabbit ?

Back