• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Madelyn update 2/5/20-Not eat/poo stressed

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
Madelyn drinking and eating less than usual.
She normally is a good hay eater and a moderate drinker.
This past week I noticed some poos connected by her long fur shortly before less drinking, hay eating, and a mix of small and normal poos.
She had a similar issue in August so I gave her fluid and motility med and her output improved to 85% normal. She is not passing and fur and is shedding very little.
Raven is scheduled for a dental next week due to similar issues,, though he is my dental bunny. Heidi , my mini rex is also eating less hay though otherwise normal.
Today I purchased more hay again trying to locate some that is bunny yummy.
I may need to schedule Madelyn for sedation to check her rear teeth.
Madelyn may be stressed from having to move to a temporary cage for several hours three times last week while my nephew and I ripped out old ceramic tiles.

Last edited:
Oh no, not more Bunny worries for you :cry: It could well be that Madelyn's gi tract slow down is stress related.

Could the hay they were having have gotten damp at any stage ?

Sending lots of vibes for all 3 Bunnies and for you as you must be very anxious about the situation xx

Oh no, not more Bunny worries for you :cry: It could well be that Madelyn's gi tract slow down is stress related.

Could the hay they were having have gotten damp at any stage ?

Sending lots of vibes for all 3 Bunnies and for you as you must be very anxious about the situation xx
Thank you.
I tried hay from different stores, and even different varieties. It smells good and I store it in the house.
Madelyn is back to eating pellets quickly and begging for more. She also ate all her greens. Keeping her on fluids and motility meds, added Medicam., monitoring closely.
If stress, she won't need to move again for a couple weeks.
Heidi passed a tiny bit of fur in her poo which surprised me because she is not shedding.

Last edited:
Oh no :( sending lots of vibes xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

At least their systems are moving again as long as I keep the fluids and drugs going. Now the trick is to determine the cause of Madelyn's suddenly being fussy about hay. Raven's dental on Tuesday should either solve his issue or eliminate one possibility.

At least their systems are moving again as long as I keep the fluids and drugs going. Now the trick is to determine the cause of Madelyn's suddenly being fussy about hay. Raven's dental on Tuesday should either solve his issue or eliminate one possibility.

Yea that's a positive, it's weird she's just gone off the hay, has she done this before?

I hope the dental fixes Raven's problem, and it's nothing else, it's so tough having more than one rabbit unwell at a time :( x

Yea that's a positive, it's weird she's just gone off the hay, has she done this before?

I hope the dental fixes Raven's problem, and it's nothing else, it's so tough having more than one rabbit unwell at a time :( x

In August she had similar issue and saw vet with no positive id.
When I first noticed Madelyn had an issue she was not running for pellets or greens in addition to not wanting hay. When I gave her initial fluids she was becoming dehydrated.
After fluids, motility meds and overnight she came running for pellets and ate them and greens much faster. She nibbled a few strands of hay. I added Medicam last 2 days and gave her different hay that is softer and now she is eating half her hay. Last night her poos looked nice, no obvious fur, so at least her gi moving ok again.
I do not want her to go for ga and dental if she may improve more like she did in august, so monitoring her closely.
Raven's issue may or may not be dental related this time,yet he has a history of dental issues so just sooner than expected.
I hope Aticus, Clementine, and your other bunnies are fine.

Hard to know if dental, fur , or something else.

In August she had similar issue and saw vet with no positive id.
When I first noticed Madelyn had an issue she was not running for pellets or greens in addition to not wanting hay. When I gave her initial fluids she was becoming dehydrated.
After fluids, motility meds and overnight she came running for pellets and ate them and greens much faster. She nibbled a few strands of hay. I added Medicam last 2 days and gave her different hay that is softer and now she is eating half her hay. Last night her poos looked nice, no obvious fur, so at least her gi moving ok again.
I do not want her to go for ga and dental if she may improve more like she did in august, so monitoring her closely.
Raven's issue may or may not be dental related this time,yet he has a history of dental issues so just sooner than expected.
I hope Aticus, Clementine, and your other bunnies are fine.

Hard to know if dental, fur , or something else.

That's really odd, I hope your vet can figure it out, Clementine had a few months of going into stasis on and off frequently, stopped when she stopped moulting.. So my Vet thought it was that. One episode lasted like over a month.. Was insane [emoji21] so it could be something similar... Its so hard, I wish buns could tell you what's up sometimes [emoji38]

Poor Raven :( I've yet to have a dental bun, so I don't know much about it tbh, it does sound like an ongoing fight though :(

Thanks :) Atticus is okay, he needs to gain weight still, and he's still not back to how he was before, it's a bit messy all the time.. Clementine needs to go back to the vet, she suffers with bladder sludge, and she's dripping again, so I've gotta take her for an xray again [emoji21] my other two, touch wood, seem okay.. Seriously don't want to jinx it [emoji38]

I really hope you can get to the bottom of Madelyn and Ravens problems, sending lots of vibes for you all, it's tough having sick bunnies xxx

Back