• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cisapride and emeprid dosage?

Not sure if this helps at all but Fudgie is 1.8 kilos and in the past has been prescribed 1ml of emeprid 3 times daily and 0.3 of cisapride 3 times daily.

A vet did tell me once that you should leave at least a three hour gap between the emeprid and cisapride. I think that's because they work on different parts of the gut. I have no idea if it's potentially harmful to give them at the same time or whether they just work better with the time gap. It's never simple with bunnies!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Not sure if this helps at all but Fudgie is 1.8 kilos and in the past has been prescribed 1ml of emeprid 3 times daily and 0.3 of cisapride 3 times daily.

A vet did tell me once that you should leave at least a three hour gap between the emeprid and cisapride. I think that's because they work on different parts of the gut. I have no idea if it's potentially harmful to give them at the same time or whether they just work better with the time gap. It's never simple with bunnies!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
See this worries me! He's way heavier than that and is on less...

Clementine is 4.4kg and has 2.2ml of emeprid 2/3 times a day

And 1ml of cisapride..

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

In the USA we can only get cisapride by having it compounded as the compound it to strength mg per ml specified on script. So my cisapride may not be the same mg per ml.as yours.
Perhaps your vet can review dosages.
Sometimes Cisapride can cause cramping so a higher dose may increase the chance of cramping.

Last edited:
In the USA we can only get cisapride by having it compounded as the compound it to strength mg per ml specified on script. So my cisapride may not be the same mg per ml.as yours.
My bunny got 0.2ml and he weighed about 0.8 kg.
Ah that's interesting, it's 5mg/ml here

You may want to have vet review dose.
Cisapride can cause cramping which may be more likely at higher dosages.
If only I could... Finding it very difficult to find a vet who knows anything about buns. He's on 0.3ml 2 times a day

If only I could... Finding it very difficult to find a vet who knows anything about buns. He's on 0.3ml 2 times a day

I got confused, your response to scrappy said 1ml, not 0.3ml which is much less.
I can find med bottle to check mg per ml for my late Dash. He was on a high dose.

I got confused, your response to scrappy said 1ml, not 0.3ml which is much less.
I can find med bottle to check mg per ml for my late Dash. He was on a high dose.
Oh sorry if it wasn't clear I was comparing it to Clementines doses, the 1ml was for her, she's 4.4kg

Oh sorry if it wasn't clear I was comparing it to Clementines doses, the 1ml was for her, she's 4.4kg

Hello Gracie,
I am still having processing issues. That being said:
I just checked my Cisapride and it IS NOT the same strength as yours. I have 2mg/ml, not 5mg/ml so yours is 2.5 times stronger than mine.
My bunnies were dosed at approximately 0.5mg per kg. They were dosed as 2x per day, yet I was told to give it every 8 hours when they went days without producing poo.
If you check Medirabbit, they say the safe dosage is 0.5mg per kg. Multiplying 4.4 kg by 0.5mg means 2.2MG, NOT ML. Since your meds have 5MG/ML you divide 2.2MG by 5MG/ML to get 0.44ML. I am sure someone will check the math.
In my unqualified opinion, I would be cautious about increasing her Cisapride dosage without checking with a professional. Adding syringe feeding and/or fluids would be my first choice to get the bunny making poos that are larger/less hard/more plentiful.
Is she getting enough pain relief? My vet always tells me the most important things are getting fiber into the bunny (syringe feed Critical Care or similar product if bunny is not eating enough/any hay), fluids-they rehydrate gut contents, and pain relief. These three followed by motility meds.

I hope this helps. Sending you and Clementine more vibes.

Last edited:
Hello Gracie,

I just checked my Cisapride and it IS NOT the same strength as yours. I have 2mg/ml, not 5mg/ml so yours is 2.5 times stronger than mine.
My bunnies were dosed at approximately 0.5mg per kg. They were dosed as 2x per day, yet I was told to give it every 8 hours when they went days without producing poo.
If you check Medirabbit, they say the safe dosage is 0.5mg per kg. Multiplying 4.4 kg by 0.5mg means 2.2MG, NOT ML. Since your meds have 5MG/ML you divide 2.2MG by 5MG/ML to get 0.44ML. In my unqualified opinion, I would be cautious about increasing her Cisapride dosage without checking with a professional. Adding syringe feeding and/or fluids would be my first choice to get the bunny making poos that are larger/less hard/more plentiful.
Is she getting enough pain relief? My vet always tells me the most important things are getting fiber into the bunny (syringe feed Critical Care or similar product if bunny is not eating enough/any hay), fluids-they rehydrate gut contents, and pain relief. These three followed by motility meds.

I hope this helps. Sending you and Clementine more vibes.

Hey I think things got a little confused again sorry. It's Atticus that's unwell atm, he was prescribed 0.3ml of cisapride and he weighs 3kg - based on what you said though he's on the perfect amount if that's the case! Does medirabbit have the emeprid dosages? Because that's the one I'm really worried about tbh. Thanks for taking the time to work all that out, it really helped :)

He had an injection of Metacam at the vets which the vet said would last 24 hours. I'm a bit worried about syringe feeding tbh, have done it before and have all the stuff, I just worry if the gut isn't moving, filling them up etc :(

Sorry to hear you are having more trouble :cry:

Snowy was 1.5kg and was prescribed 1.5mls of Emeprid every 6-8 hours if that helps at all xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey I think things got a little confused again sorry. It's Atticus that's unwell atm, he was prescribed 0.3ml of cisapride and he weighs 3kg - based on what you said though he's on the perfect amount if that's the case! Does medirabbit have the emeprid dosages? Because that's the one I'm really worried about tbh. Thanks for taking the time to work all that out, it really helped :)

He had an injection of Metacam at the vets which the vet said would last 24 hours. I'm a bit worried about syringe feeding tbh, have done it before and have all the stuff, I just worry if the gut isn't moving, filling them up etc :(

Sorry for my confusing. I hope Atticus is doing better.
Medicam can last up to 24 hours based on what I was told too.
I did not see a dose of emeprid, though I will let you know if I can find it on another page/website.
When vet gave Metacam did they check for obstruction? If bunny is not obstructed, syringe feed can help make the bunny's system move. You can syringe feed a modest quantity and then give more later.
Over the years, I have syringe feed often and for my bunnies it works best if I put a small quantity in their mouth at a time and allow them to swallow before giving the next bite.

Sorry for my confusing. I hope Atticus is doing better.
Medicam can last up to 24 hours based on what I was told too.
I did not see a dose of emeprid, though I will let you know if I can find it on another page/website.
When vet gave Metacam did they check for obstruction? If bunny is not obstructed, syringe feed can help make the bunny's system move. You can syringe feed a modest quantity and then give more later.
Over the years, I have syringe feed often and for my bunnies it works best if I put a small quantity in their mouth at a time and allow them to swallow before giving the next bite.

I looked on medi rabbit for emeprid and it says this 0.5 mg/kg - which would be fine but the bottle says 125ml/ml on it so Idk how to work it out :(

They just did blood glucose which was 16.9

Maybe I'll give some syringe feed now, Idk what else to do tbh

Sorry to hear you are having more trouble :cry:

Snowy was 1.5kg and was prescribed 1.5mls of Emeprid every 6-8 hours if that helps at all xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, that's interesting, Clementine was given 2.2ml, she weighs 4.4kg and Apricot was given 1.8ml when she weighed 3.6kg..

I really don't know what to do with him tbh and 0.6ml for Atticus weighing 3kg seems too low... I reckon he needs 1.5ml tbh based on my other two [emoji51]

Thanks, that's interesting, Clementine was given 2.2ml, she weighs 4.4kg and Apricot was given 1.8ml when she weighed 3.6kg..

I really don't know what to do with him tbh and 0.6ml for Atticus weighing 3kg seems too low... I reckon he needs 1.5ml tbh based on my other two [emoji51]

For some reason I could not find dosage of emiprid. My vet does not prescribe that med. Is it the same as metacloprinide/Reglan?
Glad you were able to calculate the same proportion of meds by weight.

I use injectible with metacloprimide.

Last edited:
For some reason I could not find dosage of emiprid. My vet does not prescribe that med. Is it the same as metacloprinide/Reglan?
Glad you were able to calculate the same proportion of meds by weight.

I use injectible with metacloprimide.

Metoclopramide is the same thing I'm pretty sure

Metoclopramide is the same thing I'm pretty sure

It is :)

I looked on medi rabbit for emeprid and it says this 0.5 mg/kg - which would be fine but the bottle says 125ml/ml on it so Idk how to work it out :(

They just did blood glucose which was 16.9

Maybe I'll give some syringe feed now, Idk what else to do tbh

Is it the label printed out by the Surgery ? It does not make sense. Metoclopramide (Vomend/Emeprid etc) is labelled in MG/ML- eg 5mg/ml

Back