• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Potential stasis...emergency vet or not?

So earlier tonight I THOUGHT I saw Lola tummy pressing, but when I went near her she hopped off (indignantly[emoji23]) and went to munch some hay...so fine I thought...she had THE best golden droppings in her tray tonight too so wasnt too worried. Anyway, I was out a couple of hours and when I came back she definitely seemed a bit out of sorts, a bit lethargic etc. I popped in some food for her and she had a sniff and didnt eat it which isnt really like her. I kept trying to encourage her but could tell I was annoying her so left her to it for a bit and she definitely seemed to be tummy pressing again.
I then decided I wanted to try to syringe some water and crushed pellets before I go to bed, she sat and watched me make a pellet paste, get myself all set to feed her and she picked up a bit of rocket and munched it down quite the thing. So I thought I'm not going to bother syringing as she gets really stressed being handled. She has since eaten half a fibre first stick and I've watched her nibble on a fair bit of hay. So I suppose my question is can I wait until morning to get her to the vet and just keep an eye on her or should I be emergency vetting her tonight (its 11pm here)?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Personally if she is eating I wouldn't take her to the emergency vet tonight. I would only do so if she were refusing to eat at all and was continuing to show signs of pain such as the tummy pressing or sitting hunched up. She may have just had a bit of gas which has resolved itself.

If you've still got nagging worries it might be worth setting your alarm really early and checking on her in the morning. If she still doesn't seem right you can whip her up to the vets.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Thanks, that's what I was thinking but thought I'd check and see if anyone felt it should be an immediate rush to vet. I've just been back in and all her pellets and greens are gone and she is furiously foraging away in her hay. I think she might have been struggling with being too hot today as its mich warmer than usual, I spritzed her ears and gave her another iced bottle to cool her.

She hasn't done any droppings tonight though so I'm keeping an eye for potential blockages because other than that she seems to be back to herself so fingers crossed there will be lots of droppings when I check on her in a wee while. If not I'll take her straight to the vet even if she is eating and seems otherwise fine.

Yes, I definitely think it's a good idea to keep an eye on her output. I agree that if she's gone quite a while without producing any poos it's better to get her seen by a vet sooner rather than later to nip any potential stasis in the bud. Hopefully things will start moving soon now she's eating more and has been a bit more active.

Dare I ask whether you're going to be on poo watch tonight?

Dare I ask whether you're going to be on poo watch tonight?

Haha yes! I will definitely be doing that! Not sure I will be able to use that to explain my zombie like state at work tomorrow though! [emoji23] thanks for the reassurance. Will let you know how she is! Wish me luck! [emoji42]

Morning, yup seems absolutely fine and back to her normal self. She had done some poops when I went down about 3ish. Just given her breakfast and she munched it all down and there are plenty healthy looking poops in her tray now. Very strange, something definitely wasnt right last night but I dont know whether I just caught it early enough that a tummy massage and encouraging to eat with some treats was enough to stop it getting worse or being a problem.

My partner works near so he is going to pop in and check on her during the day then I'll be able to finish up from work early tonight just to make doubley sure she is ok. But if she had had her funny spell through the night, going by her brightness this morning I would never have known there had been anything wrong.

I think she just did it for the extra treats!! [emoji23]

That's really good news, could have been a bit of gas, or reaction to hot weather, if she continues eating and pooping I wouldn't worry too much.

Back