• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Steroid injections - how quickly do they work?

Orenoko

Mama Doe
As you know Teddy has head tilt and my two treatment options were an operation with no guarantee of success, or steroid injections on an as and when needed basis. I picked the steroid as although it's not ideal, he has good quality of life and doesn't need it regularly.

He managed 7 weeks since his last injection but had to have another yesterday as he has been falling over again.

I noticed that a few hours after the injection he had a good sploof, something he hadn't done for a week or so since he began falling over again, so in my head I figured he must've been feeling more comfortable and relaxed. He is still falling over a little but from memory it has taken about 48 hours for that to completely stop in the past. I should've asked my vet this, but does anyone know roughly how long it takes for steroids to kick in? This is more to satisfy my curiosity than anything else, I was just surprised at how much more comfortable he seemed within a few hours of having the injection.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

No experiance of steroids in rabbits but I hope teddy continues to improve on them and that it’s a good while till he needs his next one xx

What is the actual name of the corticosteroid given and is he also on a covering abx longterm ?
Sorry, it is Depomedrol. He has been on baytril previously for months but isn't at present at vets found it wasn't making much difference for his particular case (long story).

Its a long time since I had a bunny on steroids & mine was on pills but I do remember him presenting better very quickly and his appetitie went through the roof. Loads of vibes for little Ted, I hope he goes from strength to strength

Its a long time since I had a bunny on steroids & mine was on pills but I do remember him presenting better very quickly and his appetitie went through the roof. Loads of vibes for little Ted, I hope he goes from strength to strength
He has always had a good appetite but I noticed he was eating like a horse when he first had the injection! [emoji1787] He's always on the hunt for food even after he's just been fed!

Sorry, it is Depomedrol. He has been on baytril previously for months but isn't at present at vets found it wasn't making much difference for his particular case (long story).

As you probably know, the corticosteroid may have a negative impact on his immune system, so predicting time scales for signs of improvement for a Rabbit with a known chronic bacterial infection is not going to be possible. When I have had Rabbits on corticosteroid 'palliative care' due to chronic ear disease my Vet has always given longterm abx- Depocillin usually, given by injection every other day.

No experience in rabbits, but on one occasion when I had a steroid injection, it gave me immediate relief...

As you probably know, the corticosteroid may have a negative impact on his immune system, so predicting time scales for signs of improvement for a Rabbit with a known chronic bacterial infection is not going to be possible. When I have had Rabbits on corticosteroid 'palliative care' due to chronic ear disease my Vet has always given longterm abx- Depocillin usually, given by injection every other day.
Because he's not having the steroid on a regular basis, would it still have the same impact on his immune system? I think the steroid wears off after a couple of weeks so does the immune system recover after that? Also does this take a toll on him if his immune system is up and down every couple of months? I just want to do what's best for him, he seems like a happy boy overall but if I can do more to help him then I will.

Because he's not having the steroid on a regular basis, would it still have the same impact on his immune system? I think the steroid wears off after a couple of weeks so does the immune system recover after that? Also does this take a toll on him if his immune system is up and down every couple of months? I just want to do what's best for him, he seems like a happy boy overall but if I can do more to help him then I will.

I would discuss it all with your Vet. Ongoing use of a corticosteroid will have a cumulative effect on the immune system, amongst other things. But with palliative care there are so many variants and only the Rabbit Savvy(hopefully) Vet treating the individual Rabbit will be able to say what is the best treatment protocol. I am glad that he is still a happy Bunny within himself, that counts for a lot xx

I would discuss it all with your Vet. Ongoing use of a corticosteroid will have a cumulative effect on the immune system, amongst other things. But with palliative care there are so many variants and only the Rabbit Savvy(hopefully) Vet treating the individual Rabbit will be able to say what is the best treatment protocol. I am glad that he is still a happy Bunny within himself, that counts for a lot xx
Thank you, unfortunately my regular vet just moved to a new practice which is too far away for us, so I may look at the RWAF list and see if there's anyone else near me who I can speak to. He is definitely a happy boy, just gave him a treat of some banana baby food and he wolfed it down!

Back