• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gassy bunny time to recover

Truffpuff

Mama Doe
I’m not sure if this belongs in health or bonding because it’s a bit of both.

Anyway.
Many of you saw I was wrestling with trying to bond our boys again after rushing to the bonders a week after the bond broke and one bun got one or two holes in his ears.
They have been side by side for about a month and a bit now and I’m glad we persisted because on Friday I saw Truffle put his face through and Luther (the one that was aggressive) let him lick him in the face, when before he’d nip him. So I was feeling so positive about them going back to be bonded Tuesday, well tomorrow.

Then Sunday I got up to feed them and could tell Truffle wasn’t right at all, really lethargic and not very responsive, he let me stroke him all over and under his belly....when he only lets you touch him if HE wants and not for long. Then we booked him in ASAP to the vet, the real giveaway was he let me pick him up, no fuss and no thumping or attitude. Pic two was how he looked...miserable.

So long story a bit shorter, the vet thinks he had gas making his tummy hurt in one area. So he’s on emeprid for gut stimulus and metacam for pain.
After we got hone he did the first poop pictured, so I thought good they must be working, he picked at herbs I bought and a bit of kale.
Today he’s trying to escape out the door when I come in, moving around, laying more comfortably, throwing things around, bumping me, stretching and when I went to do his meds this morning he thumped at me and fought me all the way. So I’m thinking fab!
He’s still acting like he’s lacking in sleep a bit and a bit docile at times, he’s also still picking at food not quite got his full appetite back yet, but I’m still giving meds. Poops this afternoon are still smaller and harder than normal probably because he’s not eating bigger dinners like normal.

I’m now not sure what to do.
I could ask if I can move the bonding to the next available slot, but this could be weeks or into next year for all I know. Or I say he’s I’d guess 85-90% himself and go ahead with bonding tomorrow as planned. He might be 90-100% tomorrow the way he’s responding but I can’t be sure and I’ve never experienced bunny gas or how they recover from it etc.

I really don’t know what to do :-(

d80dfeaa1d8c8d47dd8478c46c534f15.jpg

a3c26d21bff1fe1415f49133da8cc010.jpg

f6b53dca05e538a7bfa7c853afa1cf73.jpg

62b0278bbd0b1eaea004319aa2df0f16.jpg

68afe3275d3f55422e49fbabd0d28a2c.jpg

927fcc3a804c0da3d62ee33659b058eb.jpg

07a50938d93395db6196f122ba44a5b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checked on them and poop situation has improved from earlier this afternoon, three places of little piles and less dry and small. Size is nearly normal.

He tried to escape out the door again too lol.
Got him to have some carrot “spaghetti” and spinach, now its groom and poop eating time apparently lol!

b9c3d7574d537a8792bf56af67503ded.jpg

b14e11aeccd36f0447238b67bf461d9a.jpg

21f4333ef4137934b1e36d6ac2fcc0bf.jpg

408ad86e058e303636a170b5ff4f2f86.jpg

I don't want to worry you, (I'm no expert) but do you think their could be something underlining with Truffy that could of brought on the gas? And that's why they have been falling out? Toby was a gas/stasis bun and only found out he had a bad heart when he started getting gas. Maybe it's those greens?

Those poops look like they are on their way to recovery. In my experience they start of black and small then get bigger and bigger as the days go on. As for bonding, I don't know because maybe Luther may pick up something is wrong with Truffy. If I have learnt anything about bunny companionship is that you have to follow your gut Instinct. What do you think? Xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

The poos to me look as though they have strings between them. If that's the case then the problem could be that he has ingested lots of fur during a moult.

The usual advice is not to try any bonding if one of the rabbits is not 100%, which is probably not what you want to hear. There will be exceptions though and as loobers said it's best to go with your gut feeling. However, if you go ahead and the attempt fails it might be difficult to judge what has caused it to fail. It's going to be a difficult decision I think and probably also only one that you can make, taking into account all the circumstances.

I hope Truffle continues to improve and also that if you proceed with the bonding, that it goes well.

Lots of vibes for Truff. He needs to be on top form - he's representing the sploofy tigerness boys

I’m sorry Truffle hasn’t been himself:cry: sending lots of vibes for him. I would recommend waiting until he is completely better before bonding if I was in your situation.

I don't think he is up to going away to be bonded, there is something not quite right. Does he eat plenty of hay?

I don't want to worry you, (I'm no expert) but do you think their could be something underlining with Truffy that could of brought on the gas? And that's why they have been falling out? Toby was a gas/stasis bun and only found out he had a bad heart when he started getting gas. Maybe it's those greens?

Those poops look like they are on their way to recovery. In my experience they start of black and small then get bigger and bigger as the days go on. As for bonding, I don't know because maybe Luther may pick up something is wrong with Truffy. If I have learnt anything about bunny companionship is that you have to follow your gut Instinct. What do you think? Xx

I did ask the vet why it would have occurred because nothing has changed diet wise or anything else. He said stress can apparently cause it as the emotional response can come out as a physical response and any upset to gut flora can trigger excess gas. The kale and spinach is normally a treat but when he’s ill normally it’s all he’ll eat till he feels better.
The vet listened to his heart and lungs and said they sound good, so I’m hopeful it’s not that. I think it’s just our crappy luck unfortunately, just when things look up!

Oh good I’m glad you think so! I thought the same too but only have experience from one bought of stasis so wasn’t sure.

That’s what I’m worried about, my guts all over the place lol!
To me he’d be 100% in one or two more days, but the downfall of waiting is it could be ages until they have a place open for us and that’s not great as the boys, well mainly Luther are soooooo bored of being in their room. The other problem I have is I’m supposed to b at the bonders for 10am tomorrow but this is when they open, so if I ring to ask their advice or next availability it would be when I’m supposed to be there, if they say to come still it’s an hours drive so will be really behind.
It’s so difficult and I just want what’s right.

Haha! He’s been back to practice his moves again today stretching out :) xx

The poos to me look as though they have strings between them. If that's the case then the problem could be that he has ingested lots of fur during a moult.

The usual advice is not to try any bonding if one of the rabbits is not 100%, which is probably not what you want to hear. There will be exceptions though and as loobers said it's best to go with your gut feeling. However, if you go ahead and the attempt fails it might be difficult to judge what has caused it to fail. It's going to be a difficult decision I think and probably also only one that you can make, taking into account all the circumstances.

I hope Truffle continues to improve and also that if you proceed with the bonding, that it goes well.

The occasional one does. The thing is because he doesn’t like being handled grooming is very very difficult and probably stressful, so any vet check ups I take my brushes and take advantage, but both boys seem to moult all the time.

No that’s fine, that’s why I’m here, to hear all advice or opinions even if it’s not what I’d hoped. Although I’m not sure what I hope at the moment lol.

Yeah your totally right. It’s a really hard decision because there’s so many parts to it. I just want what’s best and decisions seem to be so difficult at the moment.

Thank you I really appreciate that :)

I’m sorry Truffle hasn’t been himself:cry: sending lots of vibes for him. I would recommend waiting until he is completely better before bonding if I was in your situation.

Thank you :-( it’s just so frustrating being 2 days away from bonding!

Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it. It’s difficult because I’m supposed to arrive at 10am but that’s also when they open so I can’t call before then to see when they are next available, so I feel really bad not turning up. Also if it’s not for weeks or till next year Luther will be sad because he’s so bored of that room now and is desperate for affection.

I did ask the vet why it would have occurred because nothing has changed diet wise or anything else. He said stress can apparently cause it as the emotional response can come out as a physical response and any upset to gut flora can trigger excess gas. The kale and spinach is normally a treat but when he’s ill normally it’s all he’ll eat till he feels better.
The vet listened to his heart and lungs and said they sound good, so I’m hopeful it’s not that. I think it’s just our crappy luck unfortunately, just when things look up!

Oh good I’m glad you think so! I thought the same too but only have experience from one bought of stasis so wasn’t sure.

That’s what I’m worried about, my guts all over the place lol!
To me he’d be 100% in one or two more days, but the downfall of waiting is it could be ages until they have a place open for us and that’s not great as the boys, well mainly Luther are soooooo bored of being in their room. The other problem I have is I’m supposed to b at the bonders for 10am tomorrow but this is when they open, so if I ring to ask their advice or next availability it would be when I’m supposed to be there, if they say to come still it’s an hours drive so will be really behind.
It’s so difficult and I just want what’s right.

Haha! He’s been back to practice his moves again today stretching out :) xx

Haven't read everything sorry!

But just wanted to say when my boy bun gets scared or stressed he produces poop like that, but then he has gut issues... But they're definitely triggered by stress, even the littlest thing sets him off.

Vibes for truffy xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I don't think he is up to going away to be bonded, there is something not quite right. Does he eat plenty of hay?

The vet thinks perhaps it was stress induced physical reaction, fireworks started that night. He eats hay now we found one he’ll eat (fussy bun!) they share a dig box full of hay, he likes to eat and wee/poop in it at the same time lol

Haven't read everything sorry!

But just wanted to say when my boy bun gets scared or stressed he produces poop like that, but then he has gut issues... But they're definitely triggered by stress, even the littlest thing sets him off.

Vibes for truffy xx

Thank you that’s actually really useful because the reason the vet thinks it might have happened is stress caused a physical reaction and that is the night the fireworks started. So your experience kind of just confirms that is a thing, stress can come out as a physical ailment like that.

Thank you :) xx

Thank you that’s actually really useful because the reason the vet thinks it might have happened is stress caused a physical reaction and that is the night the fireworks started. So your experience kind of just confirms that is a thing, stress can come out as a physical ailment like that.

Thank you :) xx

Yea sorry I'm half way through cleaning out the hamster [emoji38]

But yes, I definitely believe that - also stress and stuff can affect human digestion and other animals ime :) I hope he improves xx

Yea sorry I'm half way through cleaning out the hamster [emoji38]

But yes, I definitely believe that - also stress and stuff can affect human digestion and other animals ime :) I hope he improves xx

Haha! No worries [emoji4]

Yeah that’s so true, I hadn’t really thought about that. Thank you me too xx

Keep us updated, lots of good poop vibes xx

Definitely!
I’m going to message my vet and see what his verdict is (luckily he’s a friend so late messages are ok lol!).

Hehe thank you xx

Definitely!
I’m going to message my vet and see what his verdict is (luckily he’s a friend so late messages are ok lol!).

Hehe thank you xx

[emoji175][emoji175][emoji175][emoji175][emoji175]

I have been thinking more about this and my gut feeling would be to delay the bonding. I think you need everything to be as optimal as possible for their next bonding attempt and this doesn't seem to be quite that.

If it were me I would delay even if that means waiting until after Christmas. I would consider the risk of another possible failed bonding too great, which might have an impact on their long term chances of living together.

Sending vibes whatever you choose.

I have been thinking more about this and my gut feeling would be to delay the bonding. I think you need everything to be as optimal as possible for their next bonding attempt and this doesn't seem to be quite that.

If it were me I would delay even if that means waiting until after Christmas. I would consider the risk of another possible failed bonding too great, which might have an impact on their long term chances of living together.

Sending vibes whatever you choose.
Yea I agree, if this isn't his normal I wouldn't, also because bonding is stressful anyway and I'd want both buns healthy before attempting that again.

Back