• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Selling Rabbits on Free-Ads ...

MightyMax

Banned
I am browsing the Rescue Rabbits at the moment - Rescue Centres and free-ads, as I am looking for another rabbit to join our home.

So, not for the first time have I seen a rabbit who has been adopted from a Rescue and is now on a SecondHand site :(

I contacted the Rescue organisation who rehomed a rabbit only a matter of 2/4 months ago, and is now up for a free home if anyone wants him. They always pursue the cases, but in the contract people sign, they agree to contact the Rescue if they can't keep the rabbit any more.

Why wouldn't they just contact the Rescue and take the rabbit back?
In some of the cases I have noticed that it's not a case of the people not able to care for them, but simply don't want them :(

I think my own bunnies don't realise how very lucky they are :)

I think "they" would be too embarrassed to ring the Rescue to tell them they can't keep the rabbit any longer. They obviously made a mistake and have found that rabbits are not what they thought, or, the children are already fed up :roll: It is so much easier to advertise the rabbit for free. The Rescues I suppose haven't got the time to keep making follow-up calls to see how the rabbits are doing and people wouldn't want them to keep phoning.

Yes sadly I agree with tonibun - either they are embarrassed, or maybe sometimes the rescue don’t have space immediately and they don’t want to wait :(

I too have been looking on the free-ads. Reasons I've seen are mostly, working full-time/no time for rabbit; child is allergic; child lost interest and in my view the saddest of all, dog won't leave the rabbit alone/rabbit in danger of being eaten by the dog :(

It's possibly also the case that people are finding it difficult to contact rescues to arrange returning a rabbit. I'm not having much success lately in contacting rescues with either telephone or email.

I too have been looking on the free-ads. Reasons I've seen are mostly, working full-time/no time for rabbit; child is allergic; child lost interest and in my view the saddest of all, dog won't leave the rabbit alone/rabbit in danger of being eaten by the dog :(

It's possibly also the case that people are finding it difficult to contact rescues to arrange returning a rabbit. I'm not having much success lately in contacting rescues with either telephone or email.

Hi Omi. I was just wondering whether you've already tried Cuddly Critters in South Ockendon, Essex? I know you would prefer to adopt locally so I'm not sure if that would be too far from where you are. I adopted Fudgie from there and they responded to my initial e-mail query very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi - this particular issue really upsets me emotionally. I'm not complaining about it - so please don't think I am. It's just one of those issues that we as pet lovers, ultimately have to confront. Maybe it's just because me, as a person, have already thought about the process I'm getting into. I weigh up the pros and cons. What you can and can't do. What you sacrifice and what you accept. At the end of the day, the choice of the adoption is that of us humans, not of the bunnies. The bunnies deserve nothing less than 100% of our unwavering, dedicated love - physical and emotional. We know when they are not well and we are responsible for their welfare and safekeeping. That is our responsibility and we have to accept that. If we don't, then we shouldn't adopt. There is help on the interweb through forums such as this - full of genuine, caring and dedicated bun and animal lovers who would be happy to give support and help if we were asked to. So I don't always agree that the owner is embarrased. The protection laws for animals is very powerful at times - very rightly so in my opinion. Because if we can't protect the animals properly, then the law must help. I just wish in my heart that people took a little more time to realise that they are entering into an emotional obligation with an animal that needs their help - a second chance in life. The last thing that poor little animal needs, is further rejection. Sorry to rabbit on (no pun intended) - it's just something I feel strongly about - as I have adopted all but one of my rabbits and guinea pigs, and have loved each one dearly. Each one that leaves me breaks my heart but there are bunnies out there that need love and comfort and a second chance and I accept that responsibility and enter into adoptions knowing exactly what is required from me, emotionally, physically and financially. Hopefully those rabbits that have been in my care have had a far better life than the one they had been in, and were able to feel safe and secure and loved with us.

Hi Omi. I was just wondering whether you've already tried Cuddly Critters in South Ockendon, Essex? I know you would prefer to adopt locally so I'm not sure if that would be too far from where you are. I adopted Fudgie from there and they responded to my initial e-mail query very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, yes I do look at Cuddly Critters' rabbits every day, but haven't yet seen any possible friends there, but it's good to know that they respond speedily. I've also heard good things about them from elsewhere. It's probably also a bad time of the year. I'm still waiting for a response to an email I sent about 10 days ago to a different rescue.

Hi - this particular issue really upsets me emotionally. I'm not complaining about it - so please don't think I am. It's just one of those issues that we as pet lovers, ultimately have to confront. Maybe it's just because me, as a person, have already thought about the process I'm getting into. I weigh up the pros and cons. What you can and can't do. What you sacrifice and what you accept. At the end of the day, the choice of the adoption is that of us humans, not of the bunnies. The bunnies deserve nothing less than 100% of our unwavering, dedicated love - physical and emotional. We know when they are not well and we are responsible for their welfare and safekeeping. That is our responsibility and we have to accept that. If we don't, then we shouldn't adopt. There is help on the interweb through forums such as this - full of genuine, caring and dedicated bun and animal lovers who would be happy to give support and help if we were asked to. So I don't always agree that the owner is embarrased. The protection laws for animals is very powerful at times - very rightly so in my opinion. Because if we can't protect the animals properly, then the law must help. I just wish in my heart that people took a little more time to realise that they are entering into an emotional obligation with an animal that needs their help - a second chance in life. The last thing that poor little animal needs, is further rejection. Sorry to rabbit on (no pun intended) - it's just something I feel strongly about - as I have adopted all but one of my rabbits and guinea pigs, and have loved each one dearly. Each one that leaves me breaks my heart but there are bunnies out there that need love and comfort and a second chance and I accept that responsibility and enter into adoptions knowing exactly what is required from me, emotionally, physically and financially. Hopefully those rabbits that have been in my care have had a far better life than the one they had been in, and were able to feel safe and secure and loved with us.

Beautifully said Craig. It's people like you that give me hope in what seems to be a world of animal neglect and abuse. I do think that rabbits have it the worst often, and I feel that pet shops selling ridiculously tiny hutches are HUGELY to blame for this.

I very nearly rescued two seriously neglected buns a couple of months ago and I still think about it every day. I hope and pray that someone good took them and gave them a loving home. I was in the middle of extensive house renovations (still am) and knew that I had no where to put them. I still feel guilty about it though, just really hoping with all of my heart that they found safety, space and food other than bread and pears (yeah, seriously :censored: ) in someone else's home.

Regarding this topic MM, I saw a similar advert of a cat on Gumtree who was from a rescue in Wales and they'd had it in their care for less than a year? Once again listed for free, which is very dangerous in itself. I feel like if you list an animal for free, you must have no care about who ends up with it. It just seems like a 'get rid of it asap' price, like if you put an old sofa on freecycle. Just terrible, shouldn't be allowed.

I entirely agree with you Craig. It's our choice to adopt and not that of the bunnies.

The people who are giving up adopted bunnies are not people who are ignorant of a rabbit's needs. They have adopted from a Rescue hoping a rabbit would have a particular character, or sort of behaviour.

When that rabbit doesn't fulfil their expectations, then they want rid of it. Even if said rabbit has been bonded with their own rabbit. That relationship is torn apart because the human has decided they don't want that particular rabbit, for a reason of their own (which they often state).

I think in these cases then embarrassment does play a part in how they decide to get rid of this rabbit they no longer want.

I have managed in a fair few cases to contact the Rescue immediately, and they have contacted the individual and 'saved' the rabbit back into their care. They have always moved fast - immediately - as they know once a rabbit is sold on they have no powers to bring them back. Not that they have any legal power to get a rabbit back ...

Going to the other extreme, there is a rabbit on Wightbay for rehoming. He isn't neutered but comes with an indoor cage, she is asking £50.! I am a little concerned about him but does she really think someone will give her £50. What are your views on this? Considering this rabbit may have been on a bad diet for the time she has had him.

Going to the other extreme, there is a rabbit on Wightbay for rehoming. He isn't neutered but comes with an indoor cage, she is asking £50.! I am a little concerned about him but does she really think someone will give her £50. What are your views on this? Considering this rabbit may have been on a bad diet for the time she has had him.

Personally I think it's impossible to generalise about how much people ask for on the free-ads. For each end of the spectrum you could have two very different views. If the rabbit is listed as "free to a good home", it could be that as beapig said they just want rid of it asap. It could also be, and I've seen ads that say something along these lines, "don't want any money for him and just want a good home". Then if the rabbit is sold for a high price (sometimes including a nasty little hutch) it could be that they want to portray a feeling of a very valued pet, but alternatively they might just want to make as money money as possible or want to try to recover all that they have spent on the rabbit.

When I'm looking I'm more influenced by the text written about the rabbit and any accompanying pictures, than I am about the price. Sometimes it's just impossible to tell.

I don't think that the issue of free rabbits likely ending up as snake food is a valid one (I think this was discounted by someone on here once). I would be more keen to avoid paying money to a breeder, who would just replace the rabbit with more.

I see animals of all species on these online selling sites. I agree with you Omi that what is said about the animal tells you more than the price (or lack of).

I adopted a lovely guinea pig, a syrian hamster and three roborovskis all from gumtree and all with genuine and nice owners.

It is heart breaking to see animals online with no care for where they will go to and in some cases awful care where they are currently.

I once had an oops litter of puppies and said to the new owners that I would gladly take back the pups at any time for whatever reason.

I later saw two (who had gone to the same home) on a rescue website. I rang the rescue, the pups had already been reserved. At least it was to a rescue but it shows that you cant really fully safeguard the animals that you have to rehome. SAD.

I have done just that, more than once, just to get them out of their current situation. But I go into it fully prepared to take on what ever health issues etc they come with. Fortunately they've been fine and we've soon got them onto a good diet. But obviously this might not have been the case, so I wouldn't advise other people, unless they are aware of the potential pitfalls.

I don't think asking £50 is unreasonable though and if someone is prepared to pay that then you would hope they are serious about giving the rabbit a good home.

I agree with Omi, it can be difficult to tell from an ad whether the rabbit has been cared for. But I find there are often subtle indications. How they refer to the rabbit, 'it' etc or that they need to 'get rid'. Some have barely any wording at all and don't even bother to include if the rabbit is male or female, or any rough indication of age. Some you can work out that they have had them only a matter of weeks. Others you can see from the photos, that they are living in poor conditions.

On a number of occasions, I've built up a picture by looking out for the above and haven't been wrong. In some cases the situation has been even worse that it appears.

In reference to the selling / passing on of rescue rabbits, I actually did see something on Facebook recently where a rescue were desperate to locate two of their rehomed rabbits that I believe had been given to a third party and then sold on x

I have done just that, more than once, just to get them out of their current situation. But I go into it fully prepared to take on what ever health issues etc they come with. Fortunately they've been fine and we've soon got them onto a good diet. But obviously this might not have been the case, so I wouldn't advise other people, unless they are aware of the potential pitfalls.

I don't think asking £50 is unreasonable though and if someone is prepared to pay that then you would hope they are serious about giving the rabbit a good home.

I agree with Omi, it can be difficult to tell from an ad whether the rabbit has been cared for. But I find there are often subtle indications. How they refer to the rabbit, 'it' etc or that they need to 'get rid'. Some have barely any wording at all and don't even bother to include if the rabbit is male or female, or any rough indication of age. Some you can work out that they have had them only a matter of weeks. Others you can see from the photos, that they are living in poor conditions.

On a number of occasions, I've built up a picture by looking out for the above and haven't been wrong. In some cases the situation has been even worse that it appears.

In reference to the selling / passing on of rescue rabbits, I actually did see something on Facebook recently where a rescue were desperate to locate two of their rehomed rabbits that I believe had been given to a third party and then sold on x

Hi there :wave:

Yes I know full well you go into these things fully prepared. And indeed so do I!

Earlier this year I committed myself to a rabbit, having never met him. When I went to collect, he ran far away and made it obvious that a human was the last kind of being he wanted to trust :lol: He's still pretty much like that :lol:

I think it's at this point that some people realise that they have a rabbit that doesn't behave as they think they 'should' - or hoped they would. There's not a good reason in actual fact to take them back to the rescue - they are bonded and happily living their new life. They just don't fulfil the owner's expectations.

If ever I can help with locating any rehomed rabbits that are in danger of being passed on, please get in touch 3B's to see if I can help. OH always says I am in the wrong job - I should've been a detective! :lol:

Beautifully said Craig. It's people like you that give me hope in what seems to be a world of animal neglect and abuse. I do think that rabbits have it the worst often, and I feel that pet shops selling ridiculously tiny hutches are HUGELY to blame for this.

I very nearly rescued two seriously neglected buns a couple of months ago and I still think about it every day. I hope and pray that someone good took them and gave them a loving home. I was in the middle of extensive house renovations (still am) and knew that I had no where to put them. I still feel guilty about it though, just really hoping with all of my heart that they found safety, space and food other than bread and pears (yeah, seriously :censored: ) in someone else's home.

Regarding this topic MM, I saw a similar advert of a cat on Gumtree who was from a rescue in Wales and they'd had it in their care for less than a year? Once again listed for free, which is very dangerous in itself. I feel like if you list an animal for free, you must have no care about who ends up with it. It just seems like a 'get rid of it asap' price, like if you put an old sofa on freecycle. Just terrible, shouldn't be allowed.

Hi BP :)

Sorry not to have replied to this earlier. You could always contact the charity and let them know about it?

Hi BP :)

Sorry not to have replied to this earlier. You could always contact the charity and let them know about it?

Thank you MM, I looked it up but it was a month ago now, so the ad has sadly been removed, I really hope someone nice took the fella :( In other news, the bunnies being fed bread and pear in a tiny hutch in the photo (advert I saw a few months ago) have been relisted on Gumtree yet again! Those poor poor babies, how are they even still alive I wonder?

Thank you MM, I looked it up but it was a month ago now, so the ad has sadly been removed, I really hope someone nice took the fella :( In other news, the bunnies being fed bread and pear in a tiny hutch in the photo (advert I saw a few months ago) have been relisted on Gumtree yet again! Those poor poor babies, how are they even still alive I wonder?

I wonder what happened to them in the interim?

I wonder what happened to them in the interim?

According to the first advert they were moving house so they 'had to go', now it just says 'need gone asap' :( My heart goes out to them. How much space do indoor bunnies need? (must listen to the voice in my head telling me not to be reckless!)

Sorry, didn't read the whole thread :oops:

Just a comment on free ads: Here, since this year, it is illegal to sell dogs or cats online for who isn't a registered breeder or pet shop. All but one (small) free ad websites simply made it impossible to sell any:shock: pets via internet. And that was what some ARAs and politicians without any clue thought a good idea.

Thare are no shelters for rabbits, or any small critters. All shelters are flooded with cats and dogs because noone can find a new home for pets they cant keep without them. Even private people or clubs who rehomed animals for decades can't do that anymore.
As for rabbits- there were hundreds of ads for rehoming, because children get older, didn't know what they got into and so on, it did work - not possible anymore. Those animal protection idiots have succeded in having created thousends of neglected, unwanted animals. With all the ugly consequences (don't have too look far, one example is just down the road, another in the next road).
Of course, commercial breeders and shops still can advertise and sell without restrictions, exclusivly, adding to the problem.

So, complaining that someone wants 50 for a questionable rabbit is high level ranting, compared to not being able to offer that rabbit. 50€ are just one vet visit, it isn't that much, at least it makes people think. I sell young rabbits for 15-20€, just to be sure that's more than anyone will pay for meat.

Last edited:
According to the first advert they were moving house so they 'had to go', now it just says 'need gone asap' :( My heart goes out to them. How much space do indoor bunnies need? (must listen to the voice in my head telling me not to be reckless!)

I have PM'd you :)

Back