• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Spaying Aftercare

Chantelle1708

Young Bun
Hi All,

My bun gets spayed 2 weeks today and I need some advice on the aftercare in advance so I can prepare for her. She is a house bun, has the whole house freely and is not confined to her cage at all any more, after spaying would I need to keep her confined? Also, should I put the cage with me in my bedroom at night?

Should I also take the couple days after her op off work to stay around her? How long will it be until she is able to carry on as normal around the house and garden?

Thanks

Make sure that the vet gives you pain relief for her for when she's back home with you.
She will need to rest for a few days and should avoid jumping around, so this will probably mean that you'll need to confine her.

I wouldn't put the cage with you at night unless it's a familiar place for her - a change may cause distress at a time when she needs to feel safe and comfortable.

Sometimes buns can take a little while to start eating again so you may want to take time off to ensure that she eats when she comes home. If everything goes to plan you probably won't need to take 2 days off, but I guess it's down to what you feel most comfortable with in checking on her.

I hope it all goes well x

All good advice ^^ exactly what I'd do, aswell as making sure she eats/poops etc I had some critical care on hand just in case but didn't end up using it for my girl (just my boy) - also had my girl on vetbeds after her op, as the shaved section and stitches were underneath so didn't want her laying on hay and straw (had a bit of hay get stuck in one of her stitches on her legs before on a previous operation - didn't want to repeat that haha) obviously yours might not sleep on hay :) maybe a snuggle safe if she wants to lay on it? x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Thank you for all of your advice, the spaying was on Monday. Well not spaying - NEUTERING! She turned out to be HE again !! :roll: only the third time my bun has had a sex change :D He's recovering very well so far.

Glad to hear bunny is recovering well post neuter! At least boys are not as worrying as girls and he will be easier to bond if you are thinking of doing so.

Thank you for all of your advice, the spaying was on Monday. Well not spaying - NEUTERING! She turned out to be HE again !! :roll: only the third time my bun has had a sex change :D He's recovering very well so far.

Glad to hear of the recovery, and the sex change! :shock::lol:

Ooooops !!

Glad to hear that his op' went well and that he is making a good recovery xx

BTW, where do you get your bunnies from, and shouldn't you tell them? ;):D

I got him from a breeder, he said he was a boy but after a visit to the vets when he was 3 months old, I was told he was a girl, he is now 5 months old!!
Similar thing happened to me! Got a boy and girl from breeder, took them to the vets and they were like these are two girls! Got a few more opinions from different vets, they all agreed I had two girls - then finally months later one vet said it was a boy but he was slow to develop haha he's definitely male tho haha

Similar thing happened to me! Got a boy and girl from breeder, took them to the vets and they were like these are two girls! Got a few more opinions from different vets, they all agreed I had two girls - then finally months later one vet said it was a boy but he was slow to develop haha he's definitely male tho haha

Well if vets can't get it right, is there any hope for the rest of us? :lol:

Well if vets can't get it right, is there any hope for the rest of us? [emoji38]
Exactly! Was impressed the breeder knew at 12 weeks old tbh because clearly everyone else was struggling haha think I consulted 5 vets and 2 nurses in the end who all told me poor Atticus was 100% female [emoji23]

Exactly! Was impressed the breeder knew at 12 weeks old tbh because clearly everyone else was struggling haha think I consulted 5 vets and 2 nurses in the end who all told me poor Atticus was 100% female [emoji23]

Oh dear - the vets are as bad as the pet shops :roll::lol:

Back