• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone have/know of videos of mouth-breathing or tooth grinding?

nessar

Warren Veteran
I need to be able to recognise both but I can't seem to find any videos online - does anyone have some or know of any?

I don't want to go into too much detail right now as it's still pretty raw, but one of our bunnies is ill and I need to recognise mouth breathing and tooth grinding in case she gets worse and needs an urgent visit to the vets.

Thank you x

You mean tooth grinding from pain? I'm afriad I don't have any videos myself, though there are some on youtube of rabbits purring. One example here: https://youtu.be/pYl2qV5oVOI?t=10
Tooth grinding is similar but usually louder, often audible without getting right up close vs purring which is usually softer and you usually need to be closer to the rabbit to hear it. You can usually see their mouths move, again similar to purring. It can often be along with other signs of pain like sitting hunched up or awkwardly.
Mouth breathing I'm not so sure about. I don't know if it's different but I have seen rabbits gasping for air when they've choked on things and had pellets lodged in their throats. They often lift their heads and tilt them back to try to get the air in. Sometime's there's a gurgling noise. Something like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFW5A76wZV8 sometimes with more panic if it's from choking but sometimes they can be calmer as they're focusing on getting air in.

I'm sorry if that's not much help, I'm sure someone else will be along soon with a lot more knowledge than me and hopefully better videos.

Edit: I've just found this thread. Sadly the video on it has been taken down but might be something there that could help?
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?330794-Mouth-Breathing

This may also be worth looking at: http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm
The lop (second and third picture down, after the video) with his head tilted back is a rabbit that is struggling to get air in. I'm guessing that's what mouth breathing means? If so that's what they do when they can't get air in and I've seen it several times in rabbits when they choke

Last edited:
:( Hope you're ok. I have a couple of little videos of Delilah mouth breathing when she had myxo, if you pm me your email address I'll attempt to email one to you - no idea if it will work, but I can try. x

I dont have any videos, but this is a photo of 'Huckle Bunny Finn' mouth breathing. You can see that he looks to be 'whistling', his head and front end elevated (propping himself up on Lara) and his lips are cyanosed (grey/blue colour)

Sometimes a 'clicking' sound can be heard when a Rabbit mouth breathes.

I need to be able to recognise both but I can't seem to find any videos online - does anyone have some or know of any?

I don't want to go into too much detail right now as it's still pretty raw, but one of our bunnies is ill and I need to recognise mouth breathing and tooth grinding in case she gets worse and needs an urgent visit to the vets.

Thank you x

Nessar I had a good search of the Internet on your behalf before I went to bed last night, and all the videos of rabbits mouth breathing seem to have been removed. You can find some still photos of rabbits mouth breathing but probably best bet is Santa's kind offer :)

I dont have any videos, but this is a photo of 'Huckle Bunny Finn' mouth breathing. You can see that he looks to be 'whistling', his head and front end elevated (propping himself up on Lara) and his lips are cyanosed (grey/blue colour)

Sometimes a 'clicking' sound can be heard when a Rabbit mouth breathes.

To add, just found this video. It is actually about Myxomatosis but at 27 seconds in a mouth breathing Rabbit is shown

*WARNING GRAPHIC*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5SB6ORKSVg&t=24s

Thank you for your help everyone. I contacted Santa earlier in the week and she was able to show me the video.

Back