• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

First post - first case of GI

JNg

New Kit
My little Thor has been unwell since Tuesday evening. Here is a day to night rundown of whats been going on:

Tuesday: During the day he was fine, no change in attitude or behaviour. At around midnight went to check on hich he never does so i knew something wasnt right. I went straight to the treat hierarchy (beetroot drop, dried carrot, banana and finally pineapple treats) but he didnt take any so i knew it was serious. Went to the emergency vet where he got meds for pain and to get his gut moving. Got home and i stayed up with him all night. No eating no pooping.

Wednesday: went to my usual vet for 0900 and they kept him in until 1700. He got meds and fluids and they managed to get him to eat a whole pack of basil and some hay. Came home and was fairly quiet, but did a handful of small, 1/4 size poops. Didnt move much but wasnt uncomfortable. Again stayed up with him all night. No eating, no pooping, drank a little water.

Thursday: went back to vet at 0830. Kept in until 1630 for monitoring, got meds and fluids and again, ate a little parsley and basil. Came home and was active for about 40% of the time and just loafed or laid stretched out comfortably for the reminder of the time. Stayed up all night again and no eating but did some poops and pees.

Friday: because of having an alright night we decided not to stress him out by going to the vets and after a phone call they agreed. As i was on the phone at 0830 to the vet Thor was eating his poops under the table. We went upstairs and laid in the wardrobe all morning. At lunch time he moved had been lying in his cecals which were soft like melted chocolate but still formed when coming out. I cleaned him up and phoned the vet, took him in st 1600 for meds and a quick check. He went home straight away as we thought the car journey may have been stressing him out and further preventing him eating. I stayed up all night again and he didnt eat or poop and had a small lick of water but was still active and happy looking.

Saturday: in the waiting room at the vet while he gets meds. Need to chat about what we can do because the vets is closed tomorrow.

How can i get him to eat? I have infacol but he isnt really gassy anymore. He seems upbeat and has energy but i dont know where from becsuse he hasn't eaten much. Ive tried all the treats, baby food, wet veggies. I haven't tried cc yet. Going to ask the vet for some now.

Has he had his teeth checked?

If he hasn't had any, I would also ask for some pain relief. Sometimes it takes several days for a rabbit to return to normal eating after not eating. During that time he should be having both gut and pain meds. Asking for some recovery food is also what I would be doing.

As Omi said, it takes several days to return to normal eating after a bout of Stasis. He'll start eating exciting stuff first (herbs, forage, special Hays and maybe treats) then move on to the more normal stuff.

He is eating little bits, so I would think you could try caring for him at home - he'll need meds (including painkillers) 2-3 times a day and critical care food.

His teeth were checked the Saturday before he fell ill. They're in very good condition apparently.

I have got some CC fine grind, metscam and 7 million syringes from the vet plus she is giving me some oral medicine to help move his guts.

His bloods are 13 whereas they were 3.3 on Tuesday.

They reckon there is a poop buildup somewhere in his lower gut, it's not a blockage but there is a mass there.

My little Thor has been unwell since Tuesday evening. Here is a day to night rundown of whats been going on:

Tuesday: During the day he was fine, no change in attitude or behaviour. At around midnight went to check on hich he never does so i knew something wasnt right. I went straight to the treat hierarchy (beetroot drop, dried carrot, banana and finally pineapple treats) but he didnt take any so i knew it was serious. Went to the emergency vet where he got meds for pain and to get his gut moving. Got home and i stayed up with him all night. No eating no pooping.

Wednesday: went to my usual vet for 0900 and they kept him in until 1700. He got meds and fluids and they managed to get him to eat a whole pack of basil and some hay. Came home and was fairly quiet, but did a handful of small, 1/4 size poops. Didnt move much but wasnt uncomfortable. Again stayed up with him all night. No eating, no pooping, drank a little water.

Thursday: went back to vet at 0830. Kept in until 1630 for monitoring, got meds and fluids and again, ate a little parsley and basil. Came home and was active for about 40% of the time and just loafed or laid stretched out comfortably for the reminder of the time. Stayed up all night again and no eating but did some poops and pees.

Friday: because of having an alright night we decided not to stress him out by going to the vets and after a phone call they agreed. As i was on the phone at 0830 to the vet Thor was eating his poops under the table. We went upstairs and laid in the wardrobe all morning. At lunch time he moved had been lying in his cecals which were soft like melted chocolate but still formed when coming out. I cleaned him up and phoned the vet, took him in st 1600 for meds and a quick check. He went home straight away as we thought the car journey may have been stressing him out and further preventing him eating. I stayed up all night again and he didnt eat or poop and had a small lick of water but was still active and happy looking.

Saturday: in the waiting room at the vet while he gets meds. Need to chat about what we can do because the vets is closed tomorrow.

How can i get him to eat? I have infacol but he isnt really gassy anymore. He seems upbeat and has energy but i dont know where from becsuse he hasn't eaten much. Ive tried all the treats, baby food, wet veggies. I haven't tried cc yet. Going to ask the vet for some now.

Hi there

Sorry to hear about Thor being unwell. You say the vet has given you gut motility meds and pain meds? If you have enough, ask the vet if you should continue them for a few more days to get him well ad truly out of the woods.

If he's not eating for himself I would syringe feed him Recovery food mixed with some baby food. I use organic baby food - either fruit or vegetable - and Ella's Kitchen brand is good :)

I would also get some Infacol:

Infacol.co.uk

It's an infant gas meds, and you can give 1 ml every hour for three doses, and then one ml three times daily. It does no harm as it isn't absorbed by the body. How it works is to join the gas bubbles together that have formed in the stomach and intestines and help them pass. The rabbit will be in less pain and therefore want to eat because not feeling bloated.

Some people go to great lengths to provide extensive evidence that Infacol does no good! I can also provide evidence of many cases (many on this Forum) where it has literally saved a rabbit's life, and as it does no harm, then why not? Coupled with tummy rubs it can be a life saver.

Something to read here:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

Good luck - you are doing the right thing keeping him well hydrated and inspected often by the vet x

Hi there

Sorry to hear about Thor being unwell. You say the vet has given you gut motility meds and pain meds? If you have enough, ask the vet if you should continue them for a few more days to get him well ad truly out of the woods.

If he's not eating for himself I would syringe feed him Recovery food mixed with some baby food. I use organic baby food - either fruit or vegetable - and Ella's Kitchen brand is good :)

I would also get some Infacol:

Infacol.co.uk

It's an infant gas meds, and you can give 1 ml every hour for three doses, and then one ml three times daily. It does no harm as it isn't absorbed by the body. How it works is to join the gas bubbles together that have formed in the stomach and intestines and help them pass. The rabbit will be in less pain and therefore want to eat because not feeling bloated.

Some people go to great lengths to provide extensive evidence that Infacol does no good! I can also provide evidence of many cases (many on this Forum) where it has literally saved a rabbit's life, and as it does no harm, then why not? Coupled with tummy rubs it can be a life saver.

Something to read here:

http://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

Good luck - you are doing the right thing keeping him well hydrated and inspected often by the vet x

Thanks. I have asked and they gave me extra meds and syringes.

I have infacol so will try that today. 2ml then an hour later 1ml every hour for 2 hrs?

I picked up some baby food so will get the wife and burrito him as hes a runner!

Also, within an hour of being home from the vet he did some poops in both litter trays, a good amount too. The are still cecals but drier than yesterday. He also drank water himself as soon as we got in his room. Just now he turned down some dill and some basil.

Thanks. I have asked and they gave me extra meds and syringes.

I have infacol so will try that today. 2ml then an hour later 1ml every hour for 2 hrs?

I picked up some baby food so will get the wife and burrito him as hes a runner!

Also, within an hour of being home from the vet he did some poops in both litter trays, a good amount too. The are still cecals but drier than yesterday. He also drank water himself as soon as we got in his room. Just now he turned down some dill and some basil.

It won't do harm to give that much, but the dose I give is as I mentioned above ...

you can give 1 ml every hour for three doses, and then one ml three times daily.

That's from my good friend and rabbit expert in the US ;)

It won't do harm to give that much, but the dose I give is as I mentioned above ...

you can give 1 ml every hour for three doses, and then one ml three times daily.

That's from my good friend and rabbit expert in the US ;)

Jeez sorry, I missed that bit. Happy with that.

We actually just ventured upstairs to try and syringe feed him, we had some banana for Hercules and I thought I'd try my luck, Thor ate some banana!! Then we tried some hay and he ate that too! Looking good!

Jeez sorry, I missed that bit. Happy with that.

We actually just ventured upstairs to try and syringe feed him, we had some banana for Hercules and I thought I'd try my luck, Thor ate some banana!! Then we tried some hay and he ate that too! Looking good!

Hey, no worries :)

Things are looking good - that's great to hear :D

Ok so the syringe feeding was tough. He doesnt like being picked up at the best of times. We managed to get about 10ml into him in one sitting, then he ran and sulked behind the couch for 20 mins. He certainly isn't lethargic!

I've noticed he has been eating 1 or 2 bits of litter every now and then. It's the back 2 nature stuff we have. He's never done that before. He has also been nibbling on a small wood chew toy as well, yet there is every food and treat i can find out in his room.

Better news, I managed to hand feed him a handfill of hay and he has been pooping, theyre small and a mix of tiny hard ones and 1/4 size cecals.

Ok so the syringe feeding was tough. He doesnt like being picked up at the best of times. We managed to get about 10ml into him in one sitting, then he ran and sulked behind the couch for 20 mins. He certainly isn't lethargic!

I've noticed he has been eating 1 or 2 bits of litter every now and then. It's the back 2 nature stuff we have. He's never done that before. He has also been nibbling on a small wood chew toy as well, yet there is every food and treat i can find out in his room.

Better news, I managed to hand feed him a handfill of hay and he has been pooping, theyre small and a mix of tiny hard ones and 1/4 size cecals.

Rabbits who have a reduced motility in their hind gut (cecum) often crave fibre, but the wrong sort of fibre-eg wood, cardboard, paper etc. Do you know what gut motility medication the Vet has prescribed ? A drug called Metoclopramide (AKA Emeprid or Vomex) is usually one of them,

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Metoclopramide.htm

but this only really works on the upper GI tract motility, increasing the rate that the stomach empties into the small intestines. A drug called Ranitidine (AKA Zantac) is an type of medication that reduces gastric acidity, thus preventing ulceration, but it has an added benefit in increasing the motility of the hind gut.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Ranitidine.htm

So used in combination with Metoclopramide Ranitidine can be very beneficial for a Rabbit with a 'sluggish' cecum. Another drug called Cisipride (Propulsid) may also be an option

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Cisapride.htm

In cases of reduced hind gut motility fluids are especially important. Maybe that is why Thor appeared to improve after receiving fluid therapy at the Vets.

Reduced cecum motility can present in ways that may mimic dental problems, or the two conditions may co-exist. This link explains about Cecal Impaction

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.htm

and this link gives a comprehensive account of GI Stasis and it's treatment

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Sorry about the syringe feeding - some rabbits really don't like being picked up. Even if the syringe feed is tasty, they are stressed and they are not keen to devour it! That said, 10 ml is good going!

You did mention that the vet had given you some gut motility meds and pain relief - is he still taking those meds or have you run out? It's important to keep giving them for a few days as stasis can take that length of time to get better.

I sent you a couple of good links in my first post, they explain a bit more about stasis and how to get a rabbit over it - I don't know whether you've had time to see them yet? In this first one that I mentioned :

... if you can't get it to 'work' (and some folk can't get it to open properly) then there is a text version. You just click on that link at the bottom and it will open as a long web page :)

The really great news is that you've been able to hand feed him some hay, and he's actually doing pooops! It's a good idea to get him to eat hay rather than nibble on paper or card, as I'm sure you know. Fibre in hay is really good for the digestive tract.

Fresh picked grass is very good too :wave:

Rabbits who have a reduced motility in their hind gut (cecum) often crave fibre, but the wrong sort of fibre-eg wood, cardboard, paper etc. Do you know what gut motility medication the Vet has prescribed ? A drug called Metoclopramide (AKA Emeprid or Vomex) is usually one of them,

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Metoclopramide.htm

but this only really works on the upper GI tract motility, increasing the rate that the stomach empties into the small intestines. A drug called Ranitidine (AKA Zantac) is an type of medication that reduces gastric acidity, thus preventing ulceration, but it has an added benefit in increasing the motility of the hind gut.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Ranitidine.htm

So used in combination with Metoclopramide Ranitidine can be very beneficial for a Rabbit with a 'sluggish' cecum. Another drug called Cisipride (Propulsid) may also be an option

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Cisapride.htm

In cases of reduced hind gut motility fluids are especially important. Maybe that is why Thor appeared to improve after receiving fluid therapy at the Vets.

Reduced cecum motility can present in ways that may mimic dental problems, or the two conditions may co-exist. This link explains about Cecal Impaction

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.htm

and this link gives a comprehensive account of GI Stasis and it's treatment

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Great info. Thank you.

He was given Emeprid. The vet gave him emeprid yesterday morning and gave me some home to syringe feed him for this morning.

The vet hadn't mentioned the use of the zanex, I feel I should ask her before getting some, infact I can only find human zanex for sale anyway.

Great info. Thank you.

He was given Emeprid. The vet gave him emeprid yesterday morning and gave me some home to syringe feed him for this morning.

The vet hadn't mentioned the use of the zanex, I feel I should ask her before getting some, infact I can only find human zanex for sale anyway.

Are you in the UK ?

Sorry about the syringe feeding - some rabbits really don't like being picked up. Even if the syringe feed is tasty, they are stressed and they are not keen to devour it! That said, 10 ml is good going!

You did mention that the vet had given you some gut motility meds and pain relief - is he still taking those meds or have you run out? It's important to keep giving them for a few days as stasis can take that length of time to get better.

I sent you a couple of good links in my first post, they explain a bit more about stasis and how to get a rabbit over it - I don't know whether you've had time to see them yet? In this first one that I mentioned :

... if you can't get it to 'work' (and some folk can't get it to open properly) then there is a text version. You just click on that link at the bottom and it will open as a long web page :)

The really great news is that you've been able to hand feed him some hay, and he's actually doing pooops! It's a good idea to get him to eat hay rather than nibble on paper or card, as I'm sure you know. Fibre in hay is really good for the digestive tract.

Fresh picked grass is very good too :wave:

Yeah hes a nightmare. We burrito him in a towel but he then just takes a mouthful of towel to stop us getting the syringe in! He's clever!

We still have plenty meds. He has had this morning so far;

0.5ml metacam
1.5ml of emeprid
1ml of infacol

I glazed over the info but need to have a proper look later. Thank you.

He has done more poops this morning, small and hard again but there are about 2 teaspoons worth. He also ate some hay and 2 licks of some crushed pellets which I mixed with water.

Great info. Thank you.

Do you mean Zantac? It's name is also Raniditine. Vets didn't used to prescribe it for cases of stasis, but they seem to these days. It has a gentle gut motility effect and protects the stomach lining.

Do you mean Zantac? It's name is also Raniditine. Vets didn't used to prescribe it for cases of stasis, but they seem to these days. It has a gentle gut motility effect and protects the stomach lining.

LOL yes I meant zantec... 5 nights of no sleep is catching up on me.

Can human tablets be crushed and used do you think?

We may not have to as he has been eating hay for the last hour. He stsrted off nibbling on a wicker basket and my wife filled it with hay and he stwrted eating that instead!!

We may not have to as he has been eating hay for the last hour. He stsrted off nibbling on a wicker basket and my wife filled it with hay and he stwrted eating that instead!!

I would not give the Zantac without speaking with your Vet first. It is available in Liquid form which is not only easier to administer but it also makes it possible to give an accurate weight specific dose. Zantac Syrup is prescription only, so you'd either need it to be dispensed by your Vet or your Vet could give you a prescription for it and you could buy it at from a pharmacy or online

https://www.weldricks.co.uk/products/zantac-syrup-300ml-1

Yes, it sounds as if you might be getting out of the woods here, good news :)

You really need to ask the vet, as Zantac is supplied as a liquid syrup with a specific dosage. To be taken twice daily.

Update:

Thor is now producing more poops which are of a normal consistsncy but still slightly small. He is eating hay all by himself and has also taken banana this morning without fuss!

On the flip side, he is now not letting his brother in their bedroom and keeps chasing him out after an initial 0300 fight. I've started a new topic in the behaviour section.

Back