• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit drinking oddly

ghibli

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

I'm a little concerned about the way Ghibli's drinking. He doesn't lap the way he used to. He takes a bit of water and raises his head and kind of 'mouths' it would be the closest description, then goes back for more. He's always made little noises, which I just thought all rabbit's until I got Twinkle ✨, but he's never done this before. He did have a cist on his eye, and a slight infection which has now gone away [and which I thought might have been the reason for the drinking] but that was a couple of weeks ago. The vet looked him over thoroughly and couldn't find anything worng with his teeth or mouth, or anything else. Should I be worried?

I've put up a video of him on YouTube drinking first thing in the morning. Twinkle ✨ does the same thing with her water, but after she's finishes drinking.

https://youtu.be/J6SY8JeeKDo

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

He seems to be favoring his right side. Did the vet give him any sedation to look at his teeth? You can't see the molars properly (usually where most of the trouble is) unless the bunny is asleep.

He might have a small spur that can't be seen under a normal exam and that's making moving his tongue uncomfortable for him.

I'd also have the vet check his ears for infection. If he's brewing one it'll make the ear on that side hurt and that could be making him tip his head.

Just a few thoughts on what I saw in the video. Others who are more knowledgeable might have better suggestions and hopefully will post soon.

The thing that's puzzling me is that he's eating normally! He's not showing any sign of discomfort, he's bounding around like normal, and chomping hay and veg!

The vet checked his teeth really thoroughly and they're fine. She also checked for an tenderness around his mouth and jaw [which I'd actually already done anyway] and he's OK there too!

His diet is just hay and veg, and occasionally dried corn as a treat [hardly any fruit and never any pellets].

It's just when he drinks that he does it!

I was just wandering if it's a sign of anything, or if anyone's seen something like it before.

It could be that it was soothing when his eye had a cist, and he's just carried on doing it. He seems to be doing it less now, but he's still doing it intermittently!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Back