• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay Tomorrow - Very Nervous

ShirleyGirl

Young Bun
My new girl is set for spaying tomorrow morning. She was on the schedule for late April but they called Saturday morning with a cancellation slot open and I took it. The vet is an hour away and she must be there before 8:30 AM. It's the same vet that neutered Leroy Brown for me.

As she was basically a rescue from craigslist, I'm not entirely sure of her history. The guy who sold her got her from someone else. I was told she is 2.5 YO, had two litters, the last a few months ago that did not survive.

I hope I'm doing the right thing. She is skittish and I feel so bad putting her through this. I'm doing it mainly so these two buns will get along without hormonal interference.

Is she too old for this?

No she's not too old but I know this won't make you worry less. We all do no matter how many times we go through it.
If everything works out ok then you will have saved her from possible uterine cancer and stopped a lot of behaviour issues that may hinder a bond.
I hope everything goes ok and you can let us know of her progress x

I don't believe that 2.5 is too old! I recently adopted my girl and she is around 2-3 years old. She was spayed just before I got her with no complications. I'm not an expert at all but I do believe that spaying is the way forward, especially if you are planning to bond her with another bun.
There is always an anaesthetic risk with any animal but by going ahead with the spay you are preventing her from getting uterine cancer which is incredibly common in female rabbits

It's natural to worry but as long as you trust your vet and she is checked over beforehand you are doing the right thing by her :)

My new girl is set for spaying tomorrow morning. She was on the schedule for late April but they called Saturday morning with a cancellation slot open and I took it. The vet is an hour away and she must be there before 8:30 AM. It's the same vet that neutered Leroy Brown for me.

As she was basically a rescue from craigslist, I'm not entirely sure of her history. The guy who sold her got her from someone else. I was told she is 2.5 YO, had two litters, the last a few months ago that did not survive.

I hope I'm doing the right thing. She is skittish and I feel so bad putting her through this. I'm doing it mainly so these two buns will get along without hormonal interference.

Is she too old for this?

I have just recently had an ex breeding doe spayed, of around a very similar age. I had no qualms taking her in (though I did worry!) because I wanted her to have a friend, and also I was concerned about the incidence of uterine cancer in older does.

Sending you loads of hugs and vibes for her. It will be a long few hours waiting - will you stay there and pick her up?

She's going to have a wonderful life with you :)

Is she too old for this?

I have had Does spayed who were older than 5, so 2.5 years is certainly not too old as long as your Doe is in overall good health and that your Vet is 'Rabbit Savvy'. You could ask for the Vet to run a pre op' blood profile to check kidney/liver function. I do this for Does of who's past history I have little information or if they come from 'dubious' backgrounds. I always do so if the Doe was used for Breeding.

Supportive fluids given IV during and after the spay can be very beneficial. Your Vet should ensure that your Doe is nibbling food, pooing and weeing before being discharged home. Post surgery pain relief should be prescribed for about 5 days.

I hope all goes well xx

Sending loads of vibes for bunny's spay today and hope she recovers well. It's always such a big worry, I notice you were to be there by 0830 so she will be there. Hope the day goes as fast as possible for you.

All the best for today.

Ive gone through it with 5 buns now and although there are risks, thankfully they all recovered brilliantly x

She's resting in her cage downstairs. All went well, but the vet found ear mites! So I have to treat both her and my boy, even though he doesn't seem to have any issues. I knew nothing about ear mites and would not have known to look for them - my inexperience got the better of us.

I guess that's what happens when you get a rabbit from craigslist. I emailed the man who sold her and told him and of course, he claims she didn't have them when he had her. I advised him to treat his other rabbits - he has 12 - he's breeding lion heads.

So today I have to disinfect the new hutch. Thankfully it will be relatively warm for working with water outside and they are both tucked up inside.

She's resting in her cage downstairs. All went well, but the vet found ear mites! So I have to treat both her and my boy, even though he doesn't seem to have any issues. I knew nothing about ear mites and would not have known to look for them - my inexperience got the better of us.

I guess that's what happens when you get a rabbit from craigslist. I emailed the man who sold her and told him and of course, he claims she didn't have them when he had her. I advised him to treat his other rabbits - he has 12 - he's breeding lion heads.

So today I have to disinfect the new hutch. Thankfully it will be relatively warm for working with water outside and they are both tucked up inside.

I'm glad all has gone well today, and that you have an attentive vet who spotted the ear mites!

Hope she recovers well :D

MM - thanks! Have you death with ear mites? I understand they are somewhat common but require diligence to eradicate.

You're welcome!

Ear mites - not seen those often, but they should clear up fine with the treatment.

There are some graphic images on this link, but it gives you the info:

http://medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/earmite/Psoroptes.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Psoroptes_Inf.htm

Your vet has explained the treatment to you I presume? Ivermectin for three doses at 14 day intervals, or Selamectin/Revolution?

Two syringes of Ivomec for the first two days, then one 10 days later. Two drops of Tresoderm in each ear twice a day for 10 days. Both bunnies need treatment, even though my male doesn't show any signs. Cages must be thoroughly cleaned, litter changed often.

I'll probably follow up after the vet treatment with olive oil/neem in the ears for the rest of the month.

Two syringes of Ivomec for the first two days, then one 10 days later. Two drops of Tresoderm in each ear twice a day for 10 days. Both bunnies need treatment, even though my male doesn't show any signs. Cages must be thoroughly cleaned, litter changed often.

I'll probably follow up after the vet treatment with olive oil/neem in the ears for the rest of the month.

Interesting treatment option!

I hope they get on well with it all :)

Back