• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Watery Eye

Dylan123

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,
I've noticed Dexter has a slightly watery eye,it's 'wet' on the fur around his eye and there is a tiny amount of 'gunk'. I'm worried it's linked to dental disease although the watery eye is the only problem, he eats his hay & fibafirst well and his poo also appears healthy. Do you think a trip to the vet is in order? Thanks for any replies.

Hi everyone,
I've noticed Dexter has a slightly watery eye,it's 'wet' on the fur around his eye and there is a tiny amount of 'gunk'. I'm worried it's linked to dental disease although the watery eye is the only problem, he eats his hay & fibafirst well and his poo also appears healthy. Do you think a trip to the vet is in order? Thanks for any replies.

Oh bless his eye is very inflamed so yes a Vet trip today is definitely needed. He may just have conjunctivitis and the problem may be unrelated to tooth root problems. The Vet will check that there is no corneal damage by putting some Fluorescein eye stain into the eye. Any corneal damage would take up the staining and be seen as a bright green mark. The Vet may also check that there is no foreign body lodged in the conjuntiva (inside the eye lids) or behind the nictitating membrane (third eyelid).

Dexter will probably be prescribed antibiotic eye ointment such as Isathal and the problem should clear up within 7 days.

I assume that Dexter has no other symptoms and that he is fully vaccinated ?

Oh bless his eye is very inflamed so yes a Vet trip today is definitely needed. He may just have conjunctivitis and the problem may be unrelated to tooth root problems. The Vet will check that there is no corneal damage by putting some Fluorescein eye stain into the eye. Any corneal damage would take up the staining and be seen as a bright green mark. The Vet may also check that there is no foreign body lodged in the conjuntiva (inside the eye lids) or behind the nictitating membrane (third eyelid).

Dexter will probably be prescribed antibiotic eye ointment such as Isathal and the problem should clear up within 7 days.

I assume that Dexter has no other symptoms and that he is fully vaccinated ?

Thank you for replying. He was trying to close his eye while I took the picture which makes it look more swollen than in the picture. I'll try and get a better picture.He's vaccinated against VHD1 and Myxo (The VHD2 vaccine isn't available in Ireland) and he has no other symptoms although he did suffer from digestive problems (possibly stasis) in October.

Thank you for replying. He was trying to close his eye while I took the picture which makes it look more swollen than in the picture. I'll try and get a better picture.He's vaccinated against VHD1 and Myxo (The VHD2 vaccine isn't available in Ireland) and he has no other symptoms although he did suffer from digestive problems (possibly stasis) in October.

I'd get the Vet to take a look at him today then. It is probably just a relatively minor infection that will clear up quickly with treatment :)

Hi everyone,

Hi Dylan, I wondered where you and Dexter had got to :wave:

Dexter's eye does look inflamed to me. I definitely think he needs a vet to look at it, as it may not settle down on it's own. Some vets prescribe Isathal for that sort of thing (used to be called fucithalmic).

In the meantime, have you tried bathing it with cooled boiled water? Do that 2/3 times a day and see how it responds - it could calm down a lot and you'll get a better look (he may not keep it so shut).

Good luck xx

Hi Dylan, I wondered where you and Dexter had got to :wave:

Dexter's eye does look inflamed to me. I definitely think he needs a vet to look at it, as it may not settle down on it's own. Some vets prescribe Isathal for that sort of thing (used to be called fucithalmic).

In the meantime, have you tried bathing it with cooled boiled water? Do that 2/3 times a day and see how it responds - it could calm down a lot and you'll get a better look (he may not keep it so shut).

Good luck xx

Thank you for replying.I haven't posted much lately but I do browse the forum regularly. Dexter's eye has improved slightly today although it is still a bit wet on his fur. I phoned the vet and they said to see how it is tomorrow and if it's still not fully improved bring him in for a check up.

Thank you for replying.I haven't posted much lately but I do browse the forum regularly. Dexter's eye has improved slightly today although it is still a bit wet on his fur. I phoned the vet and they said to see how it is tomorrow and if it's still not fully improved bring him in for a check up.

You're welcome :D

I hope he gets on OK at the vet - good luck!

Back